Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 is300
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m going to start the process for boosting my GE. Which basically I’m just starting the planning and listing things out. I already know what turbo kit to use, and what to upgrade from that kit (CX racing kit), and upgrading fuel rail, turbo and waste gate, getting a ffim, and what not.
My initial thought was to just use the manifold offered, but I keep seeing people making turbo manifolds, but they are obviously designed differently. So my question is what’s the better manifold to use, one that is more straight (less bends) or one that has more bends and curves in the piping?
Or does it not make a difference?

·
Registered
2005 Lexus IS300
302 Posts
there are so many factors to this question. What turbo are you gonna run. are you relocating abs/ battery. Whats your wastegate setup? etc... manifold design can effect power band and sound but the best manifold is the one that works with your setup.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The best one is the one that fits the car and doesn't crack.

Typically, log-style manifolds tend to spool a bit faster and tubular header-style manifolds tend to make more top-end power. Tubular fabricated manifolds are far more likely to crack than heavier castings.

Personally, I prefer cast log manifolds for a street car.

·
Registered
2004 Lexus IS300 NA-T
480 Posts
The biggest factor is your end goal. If you want massive power, you'll want a manifold that allows for a larger turbo. The CX manifold is a good design for if you want a moderately sized turbo. I have one on my car and I like it. It's very well made.

Reactions: KidLex300

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rent me your stock exhaust manifold/cats /egr and I’ll do some machine work for you here @ purple haze racing engines

·
Registered
2001 is300
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are so many factors to this question. What turbo are you gonna run. are you relocating abs/ battery. Whats your wastegate setup? etc... manifold design can effect power band and sound but the best manifold is the one that works with your setup.
yeah there’s a lot of factors I’m taking into consideration. As far as relocating abs/battery - yes I am doing that, as far as which turbo, I haven’t really decided, because I’m not exactly buying everything right now, but that would kind of depend on what the inflation has gone up to by then on parts, but I have my eyes on a couple, and for a wastegate, I can’t remember the company an acquaintance had recommended, but he had mentioned one to get in replace of the cx racing kits.
And really in the grand scheme of it all I’m looking to make 550-600hp because I will end up still daily driving this car as well go slide every opportunity/weekend. but which is also in part of this post, I’m trying to get everything listed out

·
Registered
2001 is300
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The biggest factor is your end goal. If you want massive power, you'll want a manifold that allows for a larger turbo. The CX manifold is a good design for if you want a moderately sized turbo. I have one on my car and I like it. It's very well made.
im looking to aim around 550-600 I will still be daily driving it so I don’t want or need anything super extreme on power

·
Registered
2001 is300
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The best one is the one that fits the car and doesn't crack.

Typically, log-style manifolds tend to spool a bit faster and tubular header-style manifolds tend to make more top-end power. Tubular fabricated manifolds are far more likely to crack than heavier castings.

Personally, I prefer cast log manifolds for a street car.
okay good to know. Thank you for that

·
Registered
43 Posts
Regarding the exhaust manifold, I bought one of these Treadstone manifolds after using the standard ebay GE tubular manifold. Still assembling the engine so I haven't used it yet. It allows a really clean wastegate setup with easy access for spring changes and is made out of cast 347 Stainless which is super resistant to rust and corrosion you would get on a daily and should not crack afaik. Its not the nicest piece i've ever seen but its pretty thick and should work great. Also the price isnt bad compared to tube headers.

Nice shot of somebody's install. I love the wastegate routing, its so clean.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts