Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got some major paint chops on my hood and wanted to repaint.
Went to the shop and they said I'd have to paint the entire thing.

Is there no way they can just paint the front part of the hood?

I recently had some work done just under the rear side marker. The paint there was bubbling. Took it to the dealer and it turned out that when used cars come in, they paint and touch up the entire car. Whoever did the job didn't paint it properly and some moisture got underneath and started to bubble the paint. I thought they'd have to repaint the entire bumper...instead it looks like they sanded the area down and repainted only that spot.

Why can't something similar be done with the hood?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
happysmp said:
Hey guys,

I've got some major paint chops on my hood and wanted to repaint.
Went to the shop and they said I'd have to paint the entire thing.

Is there no way they can just paint the front part of the hood?

I recently had some work done just under the rear side marker. The paint there was bubbling. Took it to the dealer and it turned out that when used cars come in, they paint and touch up the entire car. Whoever did the job didn't paint it properly and some moisture got underneath and started to bubble the paint. I thought they'd have to repaint the entire bumper...instead it looks like they sanded the area down and repainted only that spot.

Why can't something similar be done with the hood?
it can be done its just that matching will be harder... so some shops only repaint the entire hood rather then a portion of it... at my dealer theres a company called colorrecon that fills in all the holes w/ paint and clearcoats... its amazing what they do.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you want it done right then the body is correct by wanting to paint the entire the hood. Hell my body shop I go to when they repainted the entire hood they also painted/blended in the fenders as well just to make it match as perfect as possible. 1 week later got the whole front end a Clear Bar for the hood, front bumer, right and left fenders, and mirror covers. So far honestly that was the best investment I've made on my IS300... Here's an old pic but you can't even see its there.

-Yamaha Dave

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bloody hell,

It's going to cost me about 300CDN to paint the hood...Which I guess isn't that bad!
How much was it for the paint spot and clear coat?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts