Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

new to this forum, but old to forums in general.

I tried a search for the topic but nothing was what i wanted. I want a list of services the car will need throughout its life and the estimate cost?

I was looking into the IS3 and was debating on getting one.

How are they in the snow with the stock tires?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well For Me I Actually Live In Illinois Chicago And The Snow It Was Bad At One Point I Park It In The Front And The Stock Tires Are Lets Say I Really Had A Bad Experience They Slip Alot And I Almost Have Crashed On A Turn When It Was Raining Bad Even If I Put It In Snow Mode Well For Me I Have A Bad Experience I Bought Yokohama Tires All Season I Guess Its Okay For Now I Havent Test It On Snow Yet But Stock For Me Are Not That Good Slip Too Much

·
Registered
232 Posts
Aweful in the snow with the stock tires on they are summer performance tires and have no traction whatsoever. The IS is Ok in the snow if you go slow but dont expect to get anywhere fast any RWD car is dangerous in the snow. Get yourself a FWD for the winter :)

E

·
Registered
125 Posts
i agree wit flucky07 any rwd is bad in snow also as the maintenance i actually do it myself thanks to this forums i change the oil wit royal purple and spark plugs and save me time and money the only thing it has failed me was the alternator witch broke down at 55,000 miles i gues cuz it was my fault had to many electronic things as well as under light neon lights if u do get one i guess its good to get extended warranty i have that saves u alot of money

·
Registered
192 Posts
i agree wit flucky07 any rwd is bad in snow also as the maintenance i actually do it myself thanks to this forums i change the oil wit royal purple and spark plugs and save me time and money the only thing it has failed me was the alternator witch broke down at 55,000 miles i gues cuz it was my fault had to many electronic things as well as under light neon lights if u do get one i guess its good to get extended warranty i have that saves u alot of money
In future posts, can you please write in actual sentences with punctuation?

I just got my IS300 this past fall and with snow tires on it, I've had no problems whatsoever this winter. We've had a pretty decent amount of snow fall as well. It really just comes down to having good snow tires and being a smart driver in the snow. If you don't have good tires, you're obviously going to have a much more difficult time in the snow. Being a smart driver....well that's just common sense. I say, go for it! If you like the car, get it. :approve:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use all seasons all the time (Toyo Proxxes 4) and no snow tires. Didn't have any problems this winter with snow, and I drove through most of the winter with old (low tread) tires. Also, I ski 3 times a week and often went on weekend trips through the middle of nowhere (read: bad roads) to ski.

As with ANY car, fwd, awd or not, you just have to be careful. The common misconception is that you'll lose control or slide more in a RWD car, but in reality if you take a slippery turn too fast, you'll slide in any car. It's not as if RWD cars only use rear brakes...

The only benefit to FWD or AWD is they have more weight over the driving wheels, which can help you get unstuck from a stop, or up a hill. If you're smart with your IS300, you'll never have that problem, anyways.

PS: having driven FWD, RWD, and AWD cars in the snow A LOT, I honestly prefer RWD...if you start to skid, it's way, way easier to predict/control the skid and steer with the throttle. Lose traction with the front wheels in a RWD car, and just correct the oversteer with a little throttle to get the back end in line...lose traction with a FWD car in the snow, and you're S.O.L.

·
Registered
292 Posts
RWD FTW!! I've had mine since 03. I've tried summer tires, all season, and winter tires in winter. Winter tires make a HUGE difference. The all season is ok...but they still won't beat a good set of winter tires. It is true, just be smart about it and drive slow. And when you come to a hill....try not to stop completely, keep rolling if you can. One little hill will stop you if you don't keep it rolling. You'll know what I mean when you drive in winter. RWD is always a challenge in winter...but it is do-able.

Also on maintenance, I've always used mobil one synthetic from the get go. Never had a problem...EVER! I'm almost 90k now. Just do your normal maintenance. I've only had to change my filter to a K&N, cabin filter, oil every 5k miles, and brake pads. Got my 60k done..everything was good. Doing my 90k soon. Lexus was charging 1800....of course. I went to Toyota and they Denied me. So...I ordered ALL the parts I needed from Carson Toyota and will be having a local shop do it. Parts totalled 400 shipped. That included plugs, tim. belt, sept belt, idle pulley, tensioner, water pump, gaskets, etc. The only thing I picked up at Toyota was coolant, trans fluid, and mobile one diff fluid. Shope is charging me 340 to do the flushes and install. I think thats a pretty good deal, with ALL genuine Toyota parts.

It is a great car! I take mine everywhere! I go camping, fishing, packing, everything! Summer, winter, any season! The only time I kinda worry is winter. But...drive smart and you'll be fine. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
I have snow tires on mine and have no problems driving in deep snow here in New England.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks for the replies...Now....

I want a list of services the car will need throughout its life and the estimate cost?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thats easy...do a search. The car isn't expensive to upkeep....unless you just don't work. Keep your job, do the maintenance and you'll be fine. If you treat it like a hoe....you'll be in for some expensive repairs! It is more expensive then a civic...but not by too much. Just a bit more gas, but a lot more quality.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Get Snow tires for the stock wheels, End discussion. The IS is AWESOME in the snow with snow tires. Get some cool wheels for summer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts