Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you know how much Lexus usually charges for the basic maintenance? Oil change, 15K service, 35K service, 50K service, etc..., engine flush?

The other car that I'm looking at as well has an oil change that alone costs around $110.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by P.Bear (edited May 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
15K service = $365
30K service = $396
60K service = $790

Lexus services have never been cheap...I wish they had a maintence free program....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eric.

Ok, that's not too bad. I wonder how much Porsche's stuff costs since the oil change for the Boxster is $110, 9 quarts of oil in her... wow.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
The service prices I gave you above are for my GS400 Lexus which has a V8 engine. The IS300 prices could very well be lower due to its inline 6....
Eric.....
ps. prices are different for different models....

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I know many Lexus owners take their cars into Toyota dealers for service. It's cheaper, and the quality is nearly as good (you won't get a car wash or any other goodies like Lexus gives you). Inquire with your Toyota dealer about servicing Lexus cars first.

It never hurts to do your own maintenance either.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited May 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
446 Posts
don't you have to take in your car for a routine check every 3000 miles? that's what our acura dealer has been doing for us. 15k, 30k and so forth are major mainetance.....is it necessary to bring in your car every 3000 to 5000 miles? or is it just better that way?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I take my Camry in every 3000 miles for an oil change and at most fluid checks. That's all they do. Porsche recommends an oil change every 15,000 miles for the Boxster. Although that seems a little long to go without, I dunno.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I use Synthetic oil in my GS400.. Castrol Syntec 5W-30 (the lighter weight 5W-30 is used in at Lexus Anyways).... So I go 5 K miles between services.... For my father's 2000 740iL the service lights just flashed that he needs a service and he has 14K miles on it.... BMW will not service the car for free until all the green service lights have expired.... GEEZ 14K until the first service? I would never do that with my GS400..
Eric

·
Registered
45 Posts
As far as I know (My cousin told me this and he has a MB C-280 and a BMW 528), both of the MB & BMW have a maintance indicator light in the gauges. The lights will turn from green to red. When red light is on, it means maintance (oil change) is required. But unlike the similar feature that you can find on a Honda, the indicator on MB and BMW is actually detecting the condition of the motor oil inside the engine, where as Honda's indicator just simply counting every 3K miles. So, if your driving habit is very gentle, 14k miles per oil change in a MB or BMW is absolutely okay.

·
Registered
45 Posts
BTW, does anyone know whether or not Lexus (any model) have the maintance indicator feature that works like MB and BMW? Does IS300 have this feature?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Andyboy,
I understand what you're saying and I understand that the service indicator lights monitor the condition of the oil. However, even though speakers in a stereo may handle 200 Watts, doesn't mean I'm going to play them that loud. I play it safe.....I change the synthetic oil in my GS400 every 5,000 miles. I wouldn't want to take the chance of waiting 14-15K miles till my first oil change. It's hard to imagine that my father has 14K+ miles on his 2000 740iL and it has the original oil in it (service indicator light only now turned yellow).... Poor engine...

Eric.....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Does anyone know what the GS300 (or IS300!) maintenance schedule is like?

On my wife's Sable Wagon it is "no major service for 100,000 miles". So no vavle adjustments, belts to change or anything like that.

When does the GS300 engine need vavle adjustments or belt changes? New spark plugs?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Andyboy,
Neither the GS or ES Lexus and probably the rest of the Lexus line does not have the maintance indicator lights as do other makes. So I'm assuming the IS will be the same. On another note I like the instant Miles/Gallon gage. Similar to BMW's......
Eric......

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TEG,

If Lexus is anything like Toyota then you'll see major maintenance coming on the 15K, 35K, and 60K. Sparkplug changes, belts replaced, fluid flush, engine flush, and the like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
the IS does have a maintance required light that comes on when it's time for your oil change it just blinks at first and then after a few days it stays on solid right near the seatbelt symbol and the E-brake symbol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts