Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get your IS service done in the DC area? I called Pohanka yesterday and they wanted $185 for the 10000 mile service! Am I crazy, or is that a freaking lot for an oil change and tire rotation? I mean, I love my car and would willingly pay more for service at the dealer to have peace of mind, but that price just seems a bit ridiculous. Besides doing it yourself, what else do IS owners around here do for their service?

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Pohanka is where I bought mine. I have also had all my service done there. That price sounds about right. I agree, it is a bit steep. I must say, the service has been excellent. I once asked them to tighten up my trunk release cable. They said the cable was non adjustable. For no reason, they hooked me up with a free alignment. I guess they wanted to be sure I was a happy customer. If I do a walk-in, they have always taken my car in the shop with-in 15ish minutes. They have lots of "toys and eats" to entertain you while you wait. That's always a nice perk 8)

I look at as...you bought a Lexus...you pay for the Lexus service. If you wanted Kia service prices, maybe you should have bought a Kia :wink:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Based on a recommendation from another area IS300 owner, I tried out Dr. John's Motorsports in Sterling, VA for my 35,000 mile service. Even though they mainly service Audi and Porsches, they had no problem doing a Lexus. Their prices are waaaay below dealership's plus the service is more thorough. Highly recommended. Here's their info:

Dr. John's Motorsports, located at 203 E. Holley Ave, Sterling, VA. (phone: 703-433-2007), offers technical expertise and service on all Audi models from regular maintenance to performance tuning/modifications. Dr. John's holds technical/lift sessions open to ACCNA members, is a sponsor of PCC-ACCNA's Driver's Schools, and offers free tech inspections to ACCNA members. ACCNA members also receive a 5% discount on labor. Dr. John's now also carries and installs the 3M Paint Protection Film ("Invisible Car Bra") product line. Call for info and details.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
$185 for a 10,000 mile service is a piss in the bucket. did you expect it to be inexpensive? i'd have to assume it is much more than an oil change and tire rotation though.
you can always try lexus of rockville

-gte

ISinDC said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get your IS service done in the DC area? I called Pohanka yesterday and they wanted $185 for the 10000 mile service! Am I crazy, or is that a freaking lot for an oil change and tire rotation? I mean, I love my car and would willingly pay more for service at the dealer to have peace of mind, but that price just seems a bit ridiculous. Besides doing it yourself, what else do IS owners around here do for their service?

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
SpectraBlueIS300 said:
Based on a recommendation from another area IS300 owner, I tried out Dr. John's Motorsports in Sterling, VA for my 35,000 mile service.
This is the shop that did my spring/shock install. The only slip up by the shop was...

They could not find the wheel lock key, even after I told them where it was :roll:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I too bought my IS at Pohanka, and I would have to say they are one of the better Lexus dealers on the east coast in regards to both price and service. I stopped in for my first oil change and from the computer they saw it was my birthday. The salesman who sold me the car came up to me with a bottle of wine and said happy birthday. I was impressed!!! As for cost of maintenance.....Just standby for the 30k service.....Don't plan on spending any less than $450. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your responses - I guess most of you think that is a reasonable price....
I realize that it is a lexus that I have, and I didn't expect it to be cheap, but was hoping that there might be a good and cheaper alternative. I was made more curious when some other people have posted prices in the 90-110 range (for dealers in other parts of the country).
I agree that Pohanka is a good dealership and since I haven't heard anyone say that the price is particularly bad, I'll probably just stick with the dealer.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I too bought my lexus at Pohanka. I haven't made it to 10k miles yet, but i've been very impressed w/service there. They've always taken the time to make sure i'm happy and I like that. While I agree that the price may b a little steep, I have problems trusting others w/my baby. I think I like the perks (coffee, internet, tv, doughnuts, etc.) too. :D

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria is pretty good too. I've only used them for service, been happy overall. Their body shop did an awesome job on my bumper when the valet smashed it into the wall. I'm not so impressed with Lindsay that I wouldn't try another dealer though, but I have no reason to switch now.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
if you have a trusted mechanic, with a good reputation and experience level with toyota motors in general, that might be another option, it probably won't save you any huge amount of money though, maybe $15 per hour of labor.

-gte

ISinDC said:
Thank you all for your responses - I guess most of you think that is a reasonable price....
I realize that it is a lexus that I have, and I didn't expect it to be cheap, but was hoping that there might be a good and cheaper alternative. I was made more curious when some other people have posted prices in the 90-110 range (for dealers in other parts of the country).
I agree that Pohanka is a good dealership and since I haven't heard anyone say that the price is particularly bad, I'll probably just stick with the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We run the 10K mile service for $87 plus tax. All of the regular services, 10K, 20K, 25K 35K, etc should be no more than $100 plus tax. Every 15K miles you have a major service, and every 15K you have a large service
15K, 30K, 45K, etc. Let me know if you need any more help,
Lata,
Nick

·
Registered
978 Posts
I don't know how things are in MA, but major services like 35k are closer to $300-$400. If it's that cheap in your neck of the woods, I might drive up there for the service!

NASTETy92 said:
We run the 10K mile service for $87 plus tax. All of the regular services, 10K, 20K, 25K 35K, etc should be no more than $100 plus tax. Every 15K miles you have a major service, and every 15K you have a large service
15K, 30K, 45K, etc. Let me know if you need any more help,
Lata,
Nick

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is only a major service every 15K miles. 15K, 30K, 45K, and every 5K miles there is a small service 5K, 10K, 20K. The small services run $87 plus tax, and the 15K mile services runs $295 plus tax. The 30K mile service runs $495 plus tax, the 45K is the same as the 15K, and then the 60K runs $750 plus tax. Let me know if you need anything else,
Lata,
Nick

·
Registered
499 Posts
My friend takes his GS400 to:

BRITISH AMERICAN AUTO CARE
9577 Berger Rd
Columbia MD 21046
(410) 381-2700

He says they do a good job.

I bought my is300 from the Silver Spring dealer in MD. Had my 1k check last week (although it was at 1.7k), I did call the dealer and talk to a mechanic when I had 1k on it but he said to wait for the plates to bring it in, cause it's not that big a deal.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
i bought my lexus at pohanka as well and my 10k service is due in about 1000 more miles, i have no problem paying pohanka to do my service as long as i get free hot chocolate and the little chips ahoy cookies

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, I just called Lindsay Lexus in Arlington and now I'm a bit confused.... For 10000, they suggested that I do just an oil change and tire rotation. But there is also a "10000 mile service" that they offer, which costs more but they check more things. The service representative said that I can just do the oil change now and do the "15000 mile service." What does everyone else do at 10K and what do I really need to get done? So far, I've only done the 1K check up and the service at 5K.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 1K mile service is just a checkup, the 5K mile service is your fist scheduled oil changed, tire rotation, top off all your fluids, check brakes and check supention. Both of these services should be free since they are covered under warrenty. The 10K mile service is a minor service, and they do the same as the 5K, oil change, tire rotation, top off fluids, check brakes and suspention. Then at 15K you have your first major service.
Lata,
Nick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
14 Participants
gfunk
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing