Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm planning to clean my MAF sensor but since it very expensive part I don't want to ruin it. My question is anybody done that and what did you use to clean it and how did you do it. Thanks :confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
i would only use electrical parts cleaner. stuff for circuit boards etc.
not really the compressed air keyboard stuff. its a liquid that leaves no residue.
not brake cleaner not carb spray.
once you know what the MAF is, the thing in the intake tube thats held in with 2 screws. take it out and look down into the center. use a flash light and when its dirty you can see a wire at the bottom that looks like a burnt sparkler.dirty and fuzzy looking. spray the electrical parts cleaner and it should removed the fuzz.
theres a few reasons they get dirty. there is stuff thats in the air and it slowly piles on. also at the lex training they explain about wax thats is in the sensors that heat up and can get on the hot wire.
hope this helps

Hey guys I'm planning to clean my MAF sensor but since it very expensive part I don't want to ruin it. My question is anybody done that and what did you use to clean it and how did you do it. Thanks :confused:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it the actual wires that you have to clean or is it that brown stuff on the ends of those wires? because the wires look pretty clean but if you look on that brown stuff on the end from one side it is brown but from other it is just black... Looks like some carbon or dirt. Is it normal? I have 180k on the car and never cleaned that sensor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ill try to get a good picture at work but it looks like a resistor. a wire across that is thicker in the middle. dont confuse it with the air temp wire on the outside that is easier to see. looks like a little brown bulb at the end.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
...or

You could just follow the tutorial already posted on line with pictures

CRC electronic cleaner is available from Parts Source

http://my.is/forums/f67/is300-cleaning-mass-air-flow-sensor-maf-340945/

Digger08

PS - do this inside, its way to cold outside and the cleaner will not evaporate properly. Allow the sensor to climatize to the inside temperature first.
As a safety precaution unplug your battery - a static electric charge can damage the sensor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts