Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 IS300
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, what started as just a simple shock and spring install has turned into a complete rear suspension rebuild. I had so many seized bolts that i needed to drop the rear subframe to deal with them and i decided to just replace everything while its out. I am an engineer for a sheet metal fab shop so i have the ability and equipment to make my own items and chose to go this route.
Designing the items wasn't bad but trying to find some of the parts i wanted to use was difficult. Everything was a purchased part other than the sheet metal items. The most difficult items to find was the tapered studs used in the upper arm and toe. I reached out to xcessive engineering for these and they were cool enough to sell me some. I tried Figs but they were not willing to do this.

I used Teflon lined heim joints for all applications.

I have no clue how well all this is going to work but it has been a fun project and i can always make revisions to it.

Here is a pic of the rear lower arms.
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Watch Table Computer keyboard Hood Wood

Rear traction arm
Wood Tool Computer keyboard Peripheral Musical instrument

Rear toe
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Product Plucked string instruments

Sway bar end link
Table Wood Rectangle Computer keyboard Desk

I fucked up on the rear upper arms and need to re-cut and bend them. here is my model for them. i should be able to finish these next week.
Footwear Jeans Trousers Sleeve Sneakers

Once i get the upper arms done i am planning on powder coating everything. (We do powder coating in our shop)
I have the rear subframe completely stripped of all parts and i'm down to the last two last bushings to get out (they have been a bitch). I will be sending this out for blasting and i will powder coat it once i get it back.
I have xcessive engineering subframe and diff bushings, Eibach sway bars, new axles, and rear knuckle bushings to use on reassembly. I also got a M98 Diff to replace on install.
If all goes well i am expecting to have the car back on the road in the next two weeks. I will update the thread as a make progress with everything.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Looks nice, often wish i had access to a fab shop, oh the homers i would have done lol.

Personally i am not sure about having welds on the vertical pieces, they will be the weakest points. From memory most of the stress from the wheel on that part will be up and down so thats where you want your strength. Might have been better to have it from a single piece and bends, and the weld to the horizontal pieces. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

·
Registered
2003 IS300
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also look heavy!
They are definitely beafy and overkill. Other than 4X4 sights, it was hard to find components to build your own suspension. The bushing/sleeve kit and heim receiver were both from 4X4 sights. I had to machine the sleeves down to the correct length and shave down the poly inserts to work.

·
Registered
2003 IS300
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just finished powder coating the parts and came out pretty good. I used what's called a "dormant" powder. You put a base coat on (the dormant powder) and when you put a clear coat over it, it brings the color out.
This is the first coat after baking. Looks mostly silver with a slight hint of blue in it.
Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Flooring

Wood Flooring Floor Gas Bench

after applying the clear coat it brought the blue out. this is just a plain clear coat without any tint or candy effect to it.
Blue Font Finger Material property Electric blue

Material property Bumper Hood Bicycle part Automotive exterior
Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Gas Engineering

I received my subframe back the blasting but it still has some prep before i can powder coat it. I'm gonna try and get it prepped and coated tomorrow.
I believe the only things i am waiting on for re-assembly is new hubs, wheel bearings, and wheel bearing seals. these should be in early next week.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts