Lexus IS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 1864 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just save your pennies, learn about how it all works and what you need, piece it together. It is possible to do it right without spending as much as everyone says. :) dangishchris did it when he was just starting college, just takes time and patience man.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Tapping the oil pan is easy. get a engine lift, disconnect your motor mounts from the cross member, lift up 2-3'' and remove the #2 oil pan. Drill and tap in the place you know where is goes.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I hope that wasnt a used walbro in your picture. I agree that intercooler is tiny but if your only shooting for 3xxwhp then it should be a problem. Problem is after your boosted for a week that 300whp feel like 100hp.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Shoot. Pretty cheap...considering the alternative routes. Idk, I'd say around $1100 - $1200, roughly. But it wasn't all at once, I'd say it was over a month or two of stockpiling. I still have a bit more to go. I need a v-band clamp for the Down pipe, pay an exhaust shop to make me a midpipe from the downpipe to the exhaust I have now, and with that ill need another gasket, then I need a stainless steel braided -10An oil return line plus fittings for the oil pan, then I am getting someone to drill the oil pan and tap it for me, and ill need to get my walbro installed, fuel rail tapped and fpr installed...parts wise I'm pretty much there. Give me til next month and ill be done :)

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
nice build bud...we are practically doing the same build...but I still have a long way to go in terms of parts, its winter here so I have a few months till spring...hehehehe

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
what about ECU? also are you planning to change the headgasket and headstuds?
For now I am just focused on getting the car initially boosted. So right now I am going to use the Apex'i SAFC II for a piggyback, I know someone who can put a decent tune on that, and my friend who is helping me with the build (Dangishchris) used it before he went standalone and told me it was great for the gains I'm looking at. I'm not sure if I want to go full standalone, its a lot of work buying the unit and the harness and installing it and tuning it...for now my power goals are to just get to 3xx HP. As for now I'm using the stock HG And studs, I'm only looking to push 7 Psi. Once everything is installed and running, ill probably opt for a thicker HG and studs. Its going to be an ongoing process.

nice build bud...we are practically doing the same build...but I still have a long way to go in terms of parts, its winter here so I have a few months till spring...hehehehe
Haha, sounds good man. Ill be making sure to check for a build thread by you in the future ;) I'm in socal, so the "winter" here is a joke. The coldest it gets where I live is like 40 degrees, which is at like 2 a.m. so I'm not even outside at that time haha. I'm stoked for you man, its definately an exciting process. Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Before i show you the pics and progress. I want to let everyone here know that Gabe (Lexguy300) did most of the work you are about to see. He's a super cool guy, and knows what he is doing. I would highly recommend his help to anyone in So Cal who needs help with any kind of mechanic work done. Also, shout out to Dangishchris for referring me to Gabe, helping out with the oil pan, and the entire build, and keeping company on the way to Gabe's.

So it only took about 2 hours to get everything done, which was amazingly fast (excluding the time it took to wait for the sealant to dry).

Engine lifted:

Oil pan out:

Cleaning the residue off the sides/inside

Cleaning done, dont mind the paint scratches:

Hole drilled to -10an, with 3/8 threading:

...And this is why you take off the pan to drill the hole...unless you want this metal catastrophe distributed throughout your engine:

Fits like a glove:

Back to the oil pan, we used this sealant:

back to the top! or bottom, i should say:

We let the sealant set about 2 1/2 hours before putting in the new oil (Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30). Drove back home for another 2 hours or so, still no leaks now, looks like its sealed up pretty good. And i am not using the barb fitting for the oil drain, it was given to me from an old and dated oil drain/receive xs power kit. as of now its capped off and will be replaced with something more...fitting ha. NOW ON TO TURBOO! stay tuned.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Argghh more pics...lol. I know one member who may have those shavings in their engine now. :p

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
For now, I'm just gonna get it up and running. I'm planning on low boost with piggyback and stock internals. Once I'm reliably boosted, I may switch to GTE internals and big injectors with a full standalone. We'll see what happens. Once I get this stupid California smog issue out of my way I will begin the install. Stay tuned for updates hopefully by tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
*woot 1000th post!*

so i started the install today. everything went well, didnt get too much done cause i was dicking around a bit. oh well. most of the day was me moving stuff out of the RV access cause the Camaro is in the garage...anyways, here are the pics!

Intake off:

headers off, Chris took them out in like 30 seconds, literally. he should get a reward:

test fitting manifold:

The turbo housing is too big, we need to move those ABS lines outta the way!

jesus...

ah, dreaming. intercooler just belongs there!

and here is the workspace lol:

this turned out good, didnt even mean for it to look like a photoshoot.

21 - 40 of 1864 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.