Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1864 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess this thread deserves an introduction, a little background of the progression my car has gone through since I first purchased it years ago.

It had 69,xxx miles of being unmolested when I brought her home. 2003, 5 speed Black Onyx IS300.

It wasn't too long until I decided to mod the IS. First thing I did was buy myself an exhaust. Tanabe Concept G cat back exhaust.

Then it was time for the infamous stock IS300 photoshoot.

Then I jumped on the bandwagon and got me some AAC halos 8K I think, maybe 6K. Anyways they looked cool for the 3 months that they worked. The inverters got busted and shorted the fuses in em. They don't work anymore, still epoxy'd in my headlights to this day...Still not working lol. Too lazy/poor/DGAF to fix.

Oh yeah, I got a Fujita short ram too

More photoshootage, cause I had to show off the sweet halos

Somewhere between the exhaust and halos, I painted my emblems/debadged the trunk. I used Rustoleum automotive rattle can paint. Graphite Grey Metallic, I think it's supposed to be OEM Honda touch up paint. Best paint I've ever dealt with in terms of viscosity, bonding, and drying.

Then I took the plunge and got some coilovers. Didn't do my research, had no idea what dampening was. Nor the paychecks to buy some nice BC coils or Stance. Tanabe Sustec Pro coilovers, they're awesome for daily driving though. I can't say I'm not satisfied with them, cause they've been great since day 1.

Before

After

Same time I also installed the Tanabe rear strut bar. Makes zero difference in performance, but looks pretty cool.

Sometime between the headlights and coilovers I also painted the tail light housings too. I wish I documented it.

Then I met Chris (dangishchris), he was the worst influence anyone has ever had on me. Why? Cause he's the reason this happened:

The setup:
- XS T61 turbocharger
- XS downpipe (older model, eventually modified with a turbonetics Vband slip on welded)
- XS turbo manifold
- XS wastegate (7 lb spring)
- XS dumptube
- Godspeed intercooler AKA babycooler (it worked just fine on the street, haters)
- Godspeed universal intercooler pipe kit (pipes, couplers, clamps)
- Universal 4" Spectre air filter
- Walbro 255lph fuel pump
- Apex'i SAFC II
- AEM UEGO wideband
- SunPro boost gauge (lol, hate on)
- HKS blow off valve
- HKS turbo timer w/Mk4 Supra TT-7 PnP ignition harness
- TurboEast blackbox

And then there was boost

Of course, gotta photoshoot to celebrate. Dangishchris and I hit some canyons, I dropped my coilovers to the max low setting (without cutting out the helper springs, they're still in there). Oh and I got some sweet eBay window visors too.

The favorite. No fisheye here!

Then I started a socal car meet for a couple weeks.

Got busted with the turbo kit, which is a big NO NO in good ol Sunny Socal. So...Moar stealth.

Before:

After:

Temporary exhaust until I had one custom made:

Then I had a full 3" custom exhaust made. 2 resonators (10" and 20") to make it quiet, and a Magnaflow oval muffler with 2.5" tip welded on to replace the 4" tip. Suck it 5-0.

More photoshootage:

Got some Tanabe sways too:

Then I knew I'd need more power. Got me some GTE internals and an AEM EMS...Blew up the motor before I could install/rebuild. Ran into a member who is no longer apart of these forums who ended up stealing $3500 and some misc parts who said he'd fix the motor for me...Long story short, he's getting what he deserves with over 20 federal charges against him, and is currently being investigated. Had to sell the GTE's and AEM EMS in order to pay for the rebuild.

The carnage:

So when I got my car back from the douche who scammed me, I began wrapping some stuff with di-noc that I had bought a while back. I was unsure what to do with the car as far as rebuilding the motor and what not. So I kept myself busy with the Di-Noc while I saved money.

I took on some other projects as well:

Repainted my scratched dash:

ENTER RIALTO MIKE. I contacted Mike curious as to how much he'd charge for a full rebuild. He had rebuilt Dangishchris's IS300 a while ago, running 14psi daily (built to handle over 20psi). So I knew he was reliable, as I was very weary with who to trust with my car after the recent scams. We came up with a game plan, a price range, and a few weeks later I dropped my car off at his house, cash in hand, and a giant list of parts to buy. I'll save you all the story cause it's here in this thread somewhere...I'll list our rebuilt list though :)

- Machine work on the block from Mike's machine shop
- Port and polished head (gasket matched and chamfered edges)
- GTE rods, pistons, rings, bearings
- 2JZ-GE oil pump assembly
- 2JZ-GE gasket set
- OEM Toyota waterpump and thermostat
- OEM Toyota timing belt
- OEM Toyota GE headgasket
- New timing sprocket
- New timing pulley
- New crank sensor
- New vvti cam gear
- ARP headstuds
- ARP mainstuds
- Mishimoto radiator

We kept the w55 also. Mike got a hold of a new clutch/flywheel set up (with a few more specific, and very essential, parts that will remain a "mystery") from Ed at THMotorsports (thanks Ed!)...Stage 3 comp clutch, stage 2 pressure plate, and comp clutch 4140 billet steel flywheel. All together weighs less than the stock flywheel. Haters can hate, but this set up has been proven to hold over 600whp. I'll be the 2nd IS300 in the states to run it, when the numbers prove the hype, and if there is enough interest shown in the IS300 community, THMotorsports will be retailing the same kit to those who are looking for an affordable option over a full tranny swap.

Also relocated the battery to the trunk with 2 gauge wire, and relocated the ABS with this awesome custom kit. Anyone interested in how they can do it themselves, PM RIALTO MIKE for more details.

Also got a shipment from FIGS as well. FIGS hood prop kit, clutch dampening device delete, and a pretty sweet CNC machined battery tie down bar.

She's ready for some boost now...The turbo kit is still being pieced together. I'd say about 80% complete. The specs on the turbocharger will be released after it's installed. I'll be running a GReddy EMU piggyback for tuning, and the HKS bov has been replaced with a Synapse bov. Intercooler will be bigger than before, and I'll be boosting 12-14 psi.

(Was that a good enough first post Jerm_?)

PS if you wanna fix your dash, I made a really long and detailed write up for that too... http://my.is/forums/f221/diy-removing-dash-center-console-painting-them-tons-pics-435709/

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
The aftermath of the partout.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
man, dont be hatin on my turbo! its really not that expensive as long as you keep a keen eye on the FS forums and save piece by piece.

lol @ kraven. ill show you all some more goodies when i get someone here with a camera worth taking pictures of them.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
*UPDATE - 1/26/10*

First off, i got a new phone, and the pictures are surprisingly really clear (see first post). woot, no more brick phone! I <3 my Nexus One

ANYWAYS. So these parts aren't new, but I finally decided to take some pictures of the parts that I have been stock piling. The manifold, downpipe, and begi fpr are used from my friends IS (dangishchris). Anyways here are the pics minus a few lines and gaskets :)

Just painted the Intercooler flat black!

All together, I'd say I'm about 99% done with the parts list, I just need a couple of oil lines and fuel lines for the fpr. I do realize that the intercooler piping is not made for the car, I am going to modify it when the time comes to install...the only things holding me back are the drilling and tapping of my oil pan for oil return, and getting my fpr installed with the tapping of my fuel rail and installation of my walbro 255 fuel pump.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
go chad!! hahaha get err dun!! foo. hhahaha looking forward to it. i guess its time for me to go back to FI

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the positive input. I have been stocked at this point deciding whether or not to share the love. Lol I know how raw it can get from you guys for not going in the same direction as people think it should go. I'm not trying to go for HUGE numbers with this build...just a simple piggyback @ 7 Psi on stock Injectors is all I'm going for here. Once I am reliably boosted, then ill think about upgrading to higher boost :)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
hahaha i just dropped like 1k on wheels and tires lol man do i miss boost ughhh

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Everything is coming together man. Dangishchris took off his kit?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Everything is coming together man. Dangishchris took off his kit?
Nah Chris is upgrading it! Lol! I got the downpipe manifold begi fpr and wastgate from him cause he thought he had boost leaks from them, so he bought all new parts and realised that he didn't torque the bolts on the manifold enough causing exhaust leaks from 2 of his cylinders...so we live close to eachother and he's like hey wanna boost your car? And I said yes, so he practically gave them to me, which started my base to this build.

looks good except for the baby cooler
LOL, I like it, its cute. :) it'll fill the gap enough though, like I said before, I'm not looking to build a +500 HP show car. Though a big intercooler would be pretty legit!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
^^^lmao.

1 - 20 of 1864 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.