Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think so...all the "older" kids are growing out of their civics and buying luxury sport sedans and then trying to fix them up..
I think its kinda funny that you see fixed up bimmers, lex's, and benzes more often now.
i saw a fixed up jag w/ a body kit the other day.
But then there are the people that go "why are you doing that to a luxury car!?"
All I can say is "hey its my car! I do whatever i please!"

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree, who cares it is a $40000 car as long as you could afford it, fix it up man. Acura should come up with a IS300 and 330 fighter. Put the 3.0 version of NSX's engine into it and tune it up to 280hp, haha DOHC VTEC wins.

[This message has been edited by Japcarfan (edited January 17, 2001).]

·
Registered
571 Posts
true dat....when I couldn't afford much and while in college, I had a racer-boy civic and then a superchraged integra (I still drive the teg), but now, I've grown up a bit and making more money, my fiance and I put an order for a 330I and a deposit for a 2002 5spd lexus.

They may be sedans, but you damn sure they're not going to stay stock for more than a day. The bimmer is getting a engine treatment from dinan the day after delivery as well as body kit for Racing dynamics and I've ordered a set of 18'' RacingHart M5. The IS will more than likely get a body kit from TTE/Stillen or something similar, plus 18'' rims and whatever hop-up engine parts TRD has to offer by then.

I don't see anythig wrong with fixing my ride, but I do know that I'll be throwing a beat down on the stock models out there, and doin' it while looking good.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Originally posted by Japcarfan:
Acura should come up with a IS300 and 330 fighter. Put the 3.0 version of NSX's engine into it and tune it up to 280hp, haha DOHC VTEC wins.
Will the TL Type S not be up to the challenge? It makes more torque than the 3.0 NSX engine (C30) you're talking about. $900 in headers and its making 290 horsepower. Granted cornering isn't spectacular but its not a shame at ~.83 lateral G's.

------------------
Kenny
3.2 TL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Performance wise the CL, TL, CL-S, TL-S all overshadow the IS300 and 330ci. So I guess you could say that Acura already has an army of BMW/Lexus Fighters.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Please!! Not to start a fire, but none of those cars you listed can be considered as overshadowing the BMW's and Lexus'!! The latter are "driver's cars". The Acuras are fake japanese cars AND front wheel drive! You can't be serious?

------------------
MAD

·
Registered
281 Posts
plus the TL isnt even faster than an IS..
that TL is SSLLLOOOWWW..
now the CL-S and Tl-S r a different story, but an IS would easily lose em on a curvy road...hehe..
its all about RWD..
plus a TL-S is just a suped up accord my friend...

late

[This message has been edited by kkambbak9399 (edited January 17, 2001).]

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
I'm not trying to bash on the Acuras, but it irks me when I hear someone talking nonsensical about their cars. Overshadow? whatever.

------------------
MAD

·
Registered
112 Posts
As an Acura owner, I would agree that Acura does NOT overshadow Lexus/BMW. The thing about it is that Acura is not trying to overshadow them. Acura was the first Japanese luxury brand. Once the competition heated up Acura settled for a niche market, affordable well equipped luxury. If Acura was trying to beat out the others I'm sure they would have a V8 by now, RWD, and would have updated the NSX more than once in the last 10 years. As you know Acura only exists in North America. With such a limited scope of customers, why would Acura spend so much money in R&D to build custom cars to compete with BMW/LEX/MB and so on. It makes a whole lot more business sense to expand on current models to meet your needs. Stop referring to the TL and CL as "beefed up Accords". All three are based on the golbal midsize platform that is universal around the globe. Acuras are great at what they do, they offer very powerful and eco friendly V6's, with lots of standard goodies, at a very respectable price point.
Luxury Sports Sedans are going to be the next wave in riceboy customization. As the price of older Luxury autos comes down, more and more younger owners are buying them up and modding them out. The Legend was Acura flagship 6 years ago, listing for over 40K. Now you can pick up that same car for 13-18K and it will still run like new. Same story with older Lexus. Perhaps the ricers will learn to be more tasteful with the more prestiegeous autos. Sorry for the long post but this one piqued my intrest.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by LegendC:
As an Acura owner, I would agree that Acura does NOT overshadow Lexus/BMW. The thing about it is that Acura is not trying to overshadow them. Acura was the first Japanese luxury brand. Once the competition heated up Acura settled for a niche market, affordable well equipped luxury. If Acura was trying to beat out the others I'm sure they would have a V8 by now, RWD, and would have updated the NSX more than once in the last 10 years. As you know Acura only exists in North America. With such a limited scope of customers, why would Acura spend so much money in R&D to build custom cars to compete with BMW/LEX/MB and so on. It makes a whole lot more business sense to expand on current models to meet your needs. Stop referring to the TL and CL as "beefed up Accords". All three are based on the golbal midsize platform that is universal around the globe. Acuras are great at what they do, they offer very powerful and eco friendly V6's, with lots of standard goodies, at a very respectable price point.
Luxury Sports Sedans are going to be the next wave in riceboy customization. As the price of older Luxury autos comes down, more and more younger owners are buying them up and modding them out. The Legend was Acura flagship 6 years ago, listing for over 40K. Now you can pick up that same car for 13-18K and it will still run like new. Same story with older Lexus. Perhaps the ricers will learn to be more tasteful with the more prestiegeous autos. Sorry for the long post but this one piqued my intrest.
im sorry..
im just really disappointed in Acura..
I mean with the TL Type-S coming out, 260hp, sport suspension, and all da other good stuff..Y TELL ME Y did they base it on an accord platform..
i have an accord now..and i luv this car..but i was seriously thinking of getting a TL-S, but with the platform being the same as an accord, i decided t go with a stand-out car, the IS..
i wasnt tryin t bash acura, just kinda of disappointed..

late

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
um, acura's cars are not made for hi-po, maybe for some straightline they're quicker and have more hp but they are FWD and can't handle for ****

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think a lot of people are dissapointed by what Acura COULD be. Honda has a lot of great technologies that should be implemented in the Acura line, but that is something that we will not see for a while. I guess a major difference between Toyota/Honda is the size of the companies. Toyota/Lexus is basically a Bank that happens to make cars, in other words they have TONS of money available for R&D and new platform development. Honda, on the other hand, has had a more difficult time gaining market share and is often looked at as the "underdog" in the auto market. I could care less whos cars are better in a given year, as long as competition exists between the two there will be nothing but benefits for the consumer.

·
8,107 Posts
Clambake, you should know better - when Type R's dominated the BMW 328is's for a couple years in SCCA. Even now they're wrestling the E46 BMWs for the crown.
As for the CL/TL based on Accord, Honda did that cause it was cheap, and you don't see Honda claiming the TL or CL is a BMW beater, it's just delusional TL/CL buyers that do that. Honda is losing it's roots, concentrating on SUVs, minivans and front-heavy sedans with stiff springs and a roll bar to give them 'sport'. The current Type R might be the last great Honda.

Originally posted by mrclam:
um, acura's cars are not made for hi-po, maybe for some straightline they're quicker and have more hp but they are FWD and can't handle for ****

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
Clambake, you should know better - when Type R's dominated the BMW 328is's for a couple years in SCCA. Even now they're wrestling the E46 BMWs for the crown.
As for the CL/TL based on Accord, Honda did that cause it was cheap, and you don't see Honda claiming the TL or CL is a BMW beater, it's just delusional TL/CL buyers that do that. Honda is losing it's roots, concentrating on SUVs, minivans and front-heavy sedans with stiff springs and a roll bar to give them 'sport'. The current Type R might be the last great Honda.

im not into rally racing and stuff, but y is the type-r in the same class as an e46 BMW??
is the type-r tha good of a rally car?

late

·
Registered
112 Posts
YES it is. Watch the SCCA races on Speedvision some time. The Realtime Acura's won the division last year and are VERY competitive with the BMW offerings this year. Not to bad for a chasis that has not been updated in 8 years. The Tegs do get run down in the straightaways, but what do you expect from a 4 cyl vs 6.

·
Registered
281 Posts
YES it is. Watch the SCCA races on Speedvision some time. The Realtime Acura's won the division last year and are VERY competitive with the BMW offerings this year. Not to bad for a chasis that has not been updated in 8 years. The Tegs do get run down in the straightaways, but what do you expect from a 4 cyl vs 6.
that must really piss off those BMW owners huh??
a japanese 4 banger takin out a luxury inline 6...hehe
props to Honda/Acura

late

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:

Honda is loosing its roots in some ways. They are trying to find more market with conservative styling, but at they same time they are alienating their existing customers. Honda's strength still remains engine technology, and I don't think we will see as many compromises in that area. The only new H/A's that really like are the MDX and S2000, interesting how both depart significantly from the rest of the lineup.

·
8,107 Posts
I love watching those Speedvision races, all they need are some IS300s.
All will be forgiven with Honda if they make the rumored RWD compact sports sedan based on S2000. But after years of rumors, still no official word.

Honda is loosing its roots in some ways. They are trying to find more market with conservative styling, but at they same time they are alienating their existing customers. Honda's strength still remains engine technology, and I don't think we will see as many compromises in that area. The only new H/A's that really like are the MDX and S2000, interesting how both depart significantly from the rest of the lineup.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
ckolsen, sure a type r is a great handler but in the end it is still a highly tuned integra(to mod a type r to be a better handler that it already is is pretty difficult, but with bimmers its an easy task.), of course it has some great potential but the majority of acura's cars are nto giong to be a match for bmw/lexus' lineup.

·
8,107 Posts
Don't know, clam, what's wrong with a highly tuned Integra, that's a great car - I traded mine for a 325i. Seems to me the SCCA cars are well tuned, and the Type R seems to rule it's class, which includes E36 and E46s. It's a very neutral handler, and very light, which is an advantage that's tough to overcome. This has nothing to do with the other Acuras of course, the TL/CL is a boat, and no amount of stiffening and suspension trickery will transform those cars into sporty handlers. Too much weight on those front drive wheels.

Originally posted by mrclam:
ckolsen, sure a type r is a great handler but in the end it is still a highly tuned integra(to mod a type r to be a better handler that it already is is pretty difficult, but with bimmers its an easy task.), of course it has some great potential but the majority of acura's cars are nto giong to be a match for bmw/lexus' lineup.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
12 Participants
junedog
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing