Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Is there a way to discern if an IS300 has the LSD option or not. Visually, VIN search, Dealership, 1-800-25-LEXUS, window sticker, options codes in the car? I am looking at pre-owned IS300's and having a difficult time with this. Can anyone help???

Thanks in advance,

John

·
Registered
30 Posts
investment_guy: To be sure, go inside the car. Then, look at the radio and diskchanger in the car. Below them should be 3 separate buttons, going from left to right. I believe the left one is your TRAC switch, the center is your heated seats, and the one on the right is the LSD switch. Hope that helps. If any one of those buttons are missing, then you don't have that feature as an option. For example, I have only 1 buttons in mine--and that's the TRAC button. I don't have LSD or heated seats.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I don't have LSD either. But I found out from someone here that the three buttons at the bottom of the center console don't involve LSD. Those two other buttons are supposedly both for heated seats.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do a neutral drop into drive<not sure if u can burn out in these auto tranny's but if u can> then see if you have two separate burn out marks from your rear tires or just a single tread mark.

single = no lsd, 2 = lsd.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The only way to determine if the car has an LSD is to look at the window sticker.

You can also take apart the rear end and see for yourself.

I've heard of running the VIN through a website, but haven't personally done so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whoa!! Don't confuse Investment_Guy!!

The LSD has absolutely NOTHING to do with any buttons.

Bruce - The buttons from left to right are TRAC, Driver Heated Seat, Passenger Heated Seat.

All IS's have TRAC

LSD is a mechanical device in the differential. You can tell an IS has this feature by looking at the certification label in the drivers door jamb. The axle code will be displayed...I don't have it on me, but do a search for the code. I will post later when I get a chance.

And I really don't suggest kalieaire's method of checking. Yikes!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but another way of finding out if you have LSD is by knowing what package was bought with the IS. If you have bought the LP package then you have LSD.

I did my homework before I bought my IS and this is what I found out. Basically, there were three packages offered for the IS and only one of them included LSD. To know if an IS has LSD just check if it has the ivory interior with the "beige" looking piping around the seats. Only the LP package has the ivory interior with piping, thus an IS with this interior will have LSD.

The Lexus Dealer in Hawaii and the Lexus Dealers in San Diego both offered these three packages, so I'm assuming that all the dealers offered them, too. I could be wrong if other dealers did it differently. However, I am very confident that this is how all the dealers sold their IS.

IS300_white

·
11,062 Posts
There is a code on the driver's side door frame sticker. I believe the cars with LSD are "B02C" on the bottom line and those without are a different letter, probably an "A". This was discussed a while back and I'm working from memory.
Anyone else remember clearly? I searched, but couldn't locate the thread.

·
Registered
134 Posts
sign up at owner's forum at www.Lexus.com then go into Service & Maintenance. Inside here goto My Vehicle Information and you will be able tl see all the options that was installed for your vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LSD was an option when you ordered your car... There are NO buttons involving LSD!!! It's like saying you ordered an IS 300 without a moonroof, then having a button that makes you have a moonroof all of a sudden!?!?! LSD is on the window sticker, you either have it or you don't.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Bruce Leroy.. This aint the last dragon so wise up. #1 I have LSD it's not denoted on below the radio. every car has traction and then you either have heated seat left and right next to that button. there is no LSD button cause you cant turn it off and on? Dont misslead people.

Jack up the rear of the car, put it on jack stands. release the parking brake. Spin one wheel... if the opposite wheel is spinning in the opposite direction you got NO LSD. if the opposite wheel is spinning with the direction of the wheel ur spinning you got LSD. try it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
do you have the light or dark leather?

LSD only comes with the light leather, heated seats, and wood trim package. no LSD in the black leather seats or cloth. at least that is what I was told by Lexus.

this is the easiest way to tell, is cars with heated seats have LSD so there are three buttons 1 TRAC and 2 seat heater buttons.

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: dogofthegods ]

·
Registered
449 Posts
Originally posted by IS300TOYOTA:
LSD was an option when you ordered your car... There are NO buttons involving LSD!!! It's like saying you ordered an IS 300 without a moonroof, then having a button that makes you have a moonroof all of a sudden!?!?! LSD is on the window sticker, you either have it or you don't.
--------------------------------------------
IS300toyota is the winner!!!!!!!! That is absolutely correct. When I ordered my IS the LSD was an "option". Meaning additional MONIES , about 495.00. The dealership has to specify this before they order the vehicle, and yes u will see it on the MSRP sticker as an "option". The different types of packages has no bearing on whether or not the car comes with the LSD.
I have the LSD option and I love it I recommend it to all

·
Registered
58 Posts
originally posted by is300_white:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but another way of finding out if you have LSD is by knowing what package was bought with the IS. If you have bought the LP package then you have LSD.
originally posted by civic Si-r:
IS300toyota is the winner!!!!!!!! That is absolutely correct. When I ordered my IS the LSD was an "option". Meaning additional MONIES , about 495.00. The dealership has to specify this before they order the vehicle, and yes u will see it on the MSRP sticker as an "option". The different types of packages has no bearing on whether or not the car comes with the LSD.
Is it possible that you are both right, that on standard manufactured cars, they are made in only three trims/packages, while on custom ordered cars it is an option? Just a guess.

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: GSXR600 ]

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
25 Participants
TomDlgns
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing