Lexus IS Forum banner

LSD Going Away??

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  TEG 
This is the first I have heard of the LSD "going away". I suspect that the confusion may be over the packages currently being offered. If you want the base (cloth) or LS package (black leather) in the western region (e.g. California) then you cannot get the LSD (option code LD) with any of the standard package build cars that the dealers are currently getting. A very common scenario is someone going into a California dealership and saying "I want a Silver IS300 with LS + LD + SR (black leather + Limited Slip + Moonroof)" and the dealer says "I can get you a Silver IS300 with LS + SR, but the limited slip is not available". What they mean is that you need to get the LP package (Ivory two-tone interior) to get a car with LSD right now.

That 33% restriction was (apparently) made by the EPA. I have never gotten a good answer why the EPA would care about LSD or not, but perhaps it has a subtle effect on the published fuel mileage.

Maybe they are bringing in too many (>33%) of cars with LSD right now, so have to limit them for a period of time? That could explain rumors that the LSD will be discontinued.

Good theory, but I don't think it is true.

When I saw the 8 IS300s at the Monterey press preview, they ALL had Goodyear Eagle GS-D tires and some had the LSD option...

==========================================

Hey I just realized something - the car there with the window sticker that I photoed was not a standard western region build even though it had a California dealership listed as the destination. If you look at the Window sticker image, you can see that it has an LS package *WITH* the LSD option.

You can consider this info to be accurate for the western region production:

"The July and August builds practically mirror that of the initial June build.
So the current number of LP packaged cars will remain the same over the next few
months and the LD will continue to be offered in the Western area with the LP
package.

A bit of clarification. LD is a 33% guided option. That means only 33% of the
cars can have the equipment due to EPA restrictions. The Western Area includes
dealers in Oregon, Washington, Colorado and other Northwest states. Those
states are serviced out of the Portland port. Due to climatic conditions in
those states it is necessary in build 100% of the cars going up there with LD.
That accounts for about 16% of the entire Western Area build. That leaves 14%
or so to be built for the dealers serviced out of the Long Beach port (LA, San
Fran, southwest)."

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited July 14, 2000).]

Yeah - I too was surprised when I reread that sticker. It must have been a special order car arranged by the factory. I don't think that its existance indicates that you can find some (like it) for sale at the dealerships.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.