Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two things lately seem to indicate that Lexus is dropping LSD on the IS300. First, on CarPoint (www.carpoint.com), the configurator no longer lists LSD as an option. It had listed it up to about a week ago. They are usually pretty accurate with their options list. Second, a message on the Edmund's Town Hall forum (http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?a=r&c=Sedans&t=1828 - message #613) mentions that someone tried to order an IS300 with LSD and they couldn't get it because LSD isn't being offered.

Anyone have any inside info on whether LSD is going away permanently or maybe they are just low on parts to build it or ??? Hopefully my IS300 will arrive with it, because it is supposed to be here by the middle of next week, so it should be built already.

Rob

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
This is the first I have heard of the LSD "going away". I suspect that the confusion may be over the packages currently being offered. If you want the base (cloth) or LS package (black leather) in the western region (e.g. California) then you cannot get the LSD (option code LD) with any of the standard package build cars that the dealers are currently getting. A very common scenario is someone going into a California dealership and saying "I want a Silver IS300 with LS + LD + SR (black leather + Limited Slip + Moonroof)" and the dealer says "I can get you a Silver IS300 with LS + SR, but the limited slip is not available". What they mean is that you need to get the LP package (Ivory two-tone interior) to get a car with LSD right now.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
However, in the Southern Region many of the cars are coming equiped as LS+LD+HH+SR (like my car) or LP+LD+HH+SR. Which means a lot of us _are_ getting the LSD [LD].

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

·
Registered
129 Posts
My car has LSD on it and I'm in california... but my car has the ivory interior. I looked all over for a car with black interior and LSD in the west coast region... none to be found anywhere. (except Texas and I didn't want to pay shipping)

2001 Spectra Blue
LP, LD, HH, SR

[This message has been edited by hrana (edited July 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
103 Posts
hrana,

I think what he wants is a black interior with LSD. It is not available in California region. I assume you have the LP with ivory interior right?

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
My dealer in Indianapolis says he's getting 3 new IS's in, all without 17 inch wheels and without LSD. I desperately hope it's not a permanent trend. Anyone hearing anything out there?

Originally posted by MNSpectraBlueIS:
Two things lately seem to indicate that Lexus is dropping LSD on the IS300. First, on CarPoint (www.carpoint.com), the configurator no longer lists LSD as an option. It had listed it up to about a week ago. They are usually pretty accurate with their options list. Second, a message on the Edmund's Town Hall forum (http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?a=r&c=Sedans&t=1828 - message #613) mentions that someone tried to order an IS300 with LSD and they couldn't get it because LSD isn't being offered.

Anyone have any inside info on whether LSD is going away permanently or maybe they are just low on parts to build it or ??? Hopefully my IS300 will arrive with it, because it is supposed to be here by the middle of next week, so it should be built already.

Rob

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was worried about this, myself, but then the answer is pretty obvious - Rod Millen.

Go get yourself that yellow IS with black leather interior and no LSD - I know I am - and then wait a few months and get Millen to put one on for you. Anyone within striking distance of Huntington Beach, CA is taken care of.

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
For you performance connoisseurs with bank, that's a great idea, but for some of us it's not a realistic option. I desperately hope lexus doesn't phase out the factor LSD and 17 inch wheels, before I'm able to get an affordable deal.

Originally posted by TEG:
His price list shows something like $1500+ for their IS300 LSD...

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think I remember somebody saying that there's a restriction stating that only 33% of IS300 can have the LSD in the US. Some kind of tariff requirements made by the US government? Or another one of the many "voluntary restrictions" Japanese auto manufacturers put on themselves to respond to the US Government?

LSD is still available on Altezzas. As option and as standard equipment for some grades. Unless there's an outside pressure, I don't think Lexus will cancel the LSD option.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
That 33% restriction was (apparently) made by the EPA. I have never gotten a good answer why the EPA would care about LSD or not, but perhaps it has a subtle effect on the published fuel mileage.

Maybe they are bringing in too many (>33%) of cars with LSD right now, so have to limit them for a period of time? That could explain rumors that the LSD will be discontinued.

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Interesting,

I wonder how LSD would influence fuel mileage that greatly? Does anyone think Lexus would stand to loose money on the option? Surely it's gotta be worth the 400 msrp option price, perhaps they see cars without lsd as just another way to trim down the msrp cost? Figuring most performance freaks will just add on their own aftermarket LSD if they really want it bad enough...
Originally posted by TEG:
That 33% restriction was (apparently) made by the EPA. I have never gotten a good answer why the EPA would care about LSD or not, but perhaps it has a subtle effect on the published fuel mileage.

Maybe they are bringing in too many (>33%) of cars with LSD right now, so have to limit them for a period of time? That could explain rumors that the LSD will be discontinued.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Originally posted by Michael:
I wonder how LSD would influence fuel mileage that greatly.
In the Torsen article that TEG posted, something was said about the negative fuel mileage effects of the clutch-pack LSD. And far as I understood, such effects would primarily manifest in turns (because differentiation is frictionally restricted). Perhaps the EPA has still yet to wrap their collective heads around the Torsen diff, which may explain why this rule has yet to be updated.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
Since only like 33% of the cars came with Bridgestone Potenzas, and 33% of the cars came with LSD, does this mean LSD cars get Potenzas?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Good theory, but I don't think it is true.

When I saw the 8 IS300s at the Monterey press preview, they ALL had Goodyear Eagle GS-D tires and some had the LSD option...

==========================================

Hey I just realized something - the car there with the window sticker that I photoed was not a standard western region build even though it had a California dealership listed as the destination. If you look at the Window sticker image, you can see that it has an LS package *WITH* the LSD option.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
You can consider this info to be accurate for the western region production:

"The July and August builds practically mirror that of the initial June build.
So the current number of LP packaged cars will remain the same over the next few
months and the LD will continue to be offered in the Western area with the LP
package.

A bit of clarification. LD is a 33% guided option. That means only 33% of the
cars can have the equipment due to EPA restrictions. The Western Area includes
dealers in Oregon, Washington, Colorado and other Northwest states. Those
states are serviced out of the Portland port. Due to climatic conditions in
those states it is necessary in build 100% of the cars going up there with LD.
That accounts for about 16% of the entire Western Area build. That leaves 14%
or so to be built for the dealers serviced out of the Long Beach port (LA, San
Fran, southwest)."

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited July 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
323 Posts
TEG:

in that pic, it was a yellow is with balck interior, correct? it was shown on the sticker it would be sent ot magnussen lexus in fremont. so does this mean that it is possible to get the LSD w/ a black interior? as far as i know you _can't_ get a yellow IS with the ivory interior. this is baffling. all i know is i really want black interior and i really really want the LSD.

mike

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah - I too was surprised when I reread that sticker. It must have been a special order car arranged by the factory. I don't think that its existance indicates that you can find some (like it) for sale at the dealerships.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts