Lexus IS Forum banner

LSD - Anyone seen it in action?

689 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Daniel 
#1 ·
I have LSD on my IS but hell if I can tell if it helps me when I take aggressive turns. I turn the traction control off and then take some pretty sharp turns at high speeds. My Bridgestone tires squeel and I don't feel the LSD kick in as I get some lateral movement in the car. Can anyone tell when the LSD on your IS300 engages?

ELS

#2 ·
hum...lets say its raining or something and one tire is in the puddle, that tire has no traction(basically) so when you take off, the car sends all(or most) of the power tot he wheels to the other tire, which does have traction. LSD basically worksl ike this: it sends power to the wheel with the most traction(or divides it...there's a formula or something i saw before but i won't get into that)

#3 ·
LSD is a mechanical component that works once the wheels starts turning. It should be transparent. It doesn't turn on or off like a electronic gadget. Don't expect to see or feel any major differences with LSD when taking corners b/c your car is already going through the turn at a high velocity. The benefit of LSD is to maximize traction with the power you have, not enhance the car's grip. It will not make your car take a corner any faster. But it might allow you to exit a turn faster cuz no power is wasted on the wheel with less traction. If you want to test out your LSD, I suggest taking off from a stand still with one side of your car on pavement and the other on loose gravel or dirt. The result will not be alot of dirt spitting.

#4 ·
oh, you definitely don't want to go into the equation for the differential, especially a limited slip one. There is no way you can post them clearly on through message system like this.
LSD will only work to a certain extend. If you apply to much power, the car will still slide. However, if you really want to see a LSD in action, go to your local SCCA autocross event. You will see that cars without the LSD will spins its inside wheel like crazy when applying too much power coming out of corners.
But don't expect the LSD to do what the traction control does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.