Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like LSD fluid on my car was changed a long time ago... so I am flushin now... :rolleyes:

Which brand anti slip additive do you use?
I searched the forums for "Anti Slip Additive" and didnt find any...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
our LSDs are torsen type which use worm gears and dont need any additives to motivate the gear oil to stick and move about. limited slip friction modifier are mainly used in clutch type LSDs.

any GL-4/GL-5 rated gear oil (wt: 75w/80w/85w90 to w90 depending on climate) will do in our rear ends, regardless if its open or LSD.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
i use redline

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
our LSDs are torsen type which use worm gears and dont need any additives to motivate the gear oil to stick and move about. limited slip friction modifier are mainly used in clutch type LSDs.

any GL-4/GL-5 rated gear oil (wt: 75w/80w/85w90 to w90 depending on climate) will do in our rear ends, regardless if its open or LSD.
no additive or additive is the big Q :confused: - if I take the precaution and add it would it hurt??

So I could get away with just the oil - I went back to the DIY and found this "For people who have LSD, plan on purchasing a bottle of GM limited slip additive. Add this first, then add the differential fliuid until the diff is full. Thanks to Alexus_300 for this info."

:erm:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
no additive or additive is the big Q :confused: - if I take the precaution and add it would it hurt??

So I could get away with just the oil - I went back to the DIY and found this "For people who have LSD, plan on purchasing a bottle of GM limited slip additive. Add this first, then add the differential fliuid until the diff is full. Thanks to Alexus_300 for this info."

:erm:
did you read the whole thread? or just decided to selectively read that one post? as stated in that thread: GL-5 has additives for LSD equip cars. also stated in this thread: the other additives for clutch type LSDs need not apply for our torsen LSD... :rolleyes:
then again, do as you please.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
ive used RP and redline, both work great. RP smells pretty bad when you change it for some reason

·
Registered
1 Posts
need some help!
Which types of Redline oil best suit the IS200 1GFE Engine. Manual
I want to change my oil, and there are different types of oil.

Track 1-2 times a year, little hard driving on the street.

Will the MT-90 or the Shockproof oil best suit our gear box?:confused:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Went to Longo Toyota the other day and picked up 2 qrts (IS300 only needs 1.44 qrts) of Sta lube GL5 75w90 gear oil and they recommended i also add the Sta Lube Equa-Torque Limited Slip Additive, because the gear oil itself doesn't have enough LSD additive. It's what the techs at the dealership use when changing out the diff oil.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Which baffles me because its completely unnecessary in a helical limited slip. Anyone who even remotely knows how the two different types of differential (helical versus clutch type) would understand that additives are for clutch type and their clutch disk friction surfaces. All the limited slip additives in the world wont make a difference on a helical. I would even argue that it could be detrimental to the longevity of the helical diff.

Seriously....not needed. Pretty much ANY GL-5 75w90 these days will have SOME limited slip additive in them. But I assure you, it is far from necessary in the IS300.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Which baffles me because its completely unnecessary in a helical limited slip. Anyone who even remotely knows how the two different types of differential (helical versus clutch type) would understand that additives are for clutch type and their clutch disk friction surfaces. All the limited slip additives in the world wont make a difference on a helical. I would even argue that it could be detrimental to the longevity of the helical diff.

Seriously....not needed. Pretty much ANY GL-5 75w90 these days will have SOME limited slip additive in them. But I assure you, it is far from necessary in the IS300.
^This. Although i heard the manufacturers added it to reduce chatter. Again, i don't think that applies to our Torsion diff either. The small amount of additives in regular diff oil is enough. Even the websites selling this stuff mentions Posi rear ends only.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
A Torsen cant chatter. That chatter is for clutch type...similar to how the main clutch...you know, the one for the transmission, will chatter...It was a major complain on Ducatis with dry clutches for years. I think now they just finally switched over to wet clutches.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
^This. Although i heard the manufacturers added it to reduce chatter. Again, i don't think that applies to our Torsion diff either. The small amount of additives in regular diff oil is enough.
I'll correct you like a jerk....

Torsion - Twisting force or motion

Torsen - TOR-SEN TORque SENsing differential. Its a name brand of helical style differentials. Modpwnt.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I'll correct you like a jerk....

Torsion - Twisting force or motion

Torsen - TOR-SEN TORque SENsing differential. Its a name brand of helical style differentials. Modpwnt.
lol, well deserved, thanks Tom. I don't know why i spelt it torsion when i knew better. Meant Torsen, no additives needed.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
i now use amsoil severe gear fyi

1 - 20 of 21 Posts