Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad put a deposit for a 2001 LS430. I'm sure the car will be great, but does anyone know for sure if the power will be 290?
I think they should've boosted it by 20/30 horses, at least. It will have more torque, more power wouldn't hurt. And where is that manumatic transmission???
The 2002 Q45 will have it all, although it does look ugly.
Wake up Toyota!!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I doubt that the LS430 would receive that much of a boost in hp/torque. The 2000 LS400 has 290 hp and the GS400 has 300 hp. The 2001 GS430 has the same 300 hp, but a 15 lbs increase in torque. Looking at the trend between LS/GS, I think Lexus wants the GS to have more power because it is the "sportier" of the two luxury sedans in the lineup.

However, like the GS430, peak hp and torque ratings will be achieved at lower RPMs, which means it may be a little faster off the line.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by hasanazhar:
My dad put a deposit for a 2001 LS430. I'm sure the car will be great, but does anyone know for sure if the power will be 290?
I think they should've boosted it by 20/30 horses, at least. It will have more torque, more power wouldn't hurt. And where is that manumatic transmission???
The 2002 Q45 will have it all, although it does look ugly.
Wake up Toyota!!!

don't be mislead by hp ratings by japanese manufacturers... they have an unofficial policy which caps their reported HP ratings to around 285 HP... notice how the NSX, LS400, RX-7, Supra, Skyline GTR, WRX etc... were all rated within 5-10 hp of each other - consider that the non-modified GTR pulls 0-60 in about 5 seconds and you have to begin
wonder how accurate the numbers are...

my guess is that the LS430 will produce well over 300 HP and lb/ft at the crank (where HP is normally measured and reported from) - the car weighs 3900lb (wet) and will pull 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds...(with an auto tranny)... compare this to the MB S CLass - 302 Hp/339lb/ft - 0-60in 6.1 (AND it weighs at least 200-300 pds more - 4200lb(wet)...

don't get caught up in numbers... they don't necessarily have anything to do with the driving experience...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Originally posted by fishtail:

don't get caught up in numbers... they don't necessarily have anything to do with the driving experience...
I don't think the members of this board can NOT get caught up in acceleration figures. Didn't we have about 50 threads about this (acceleration numbers) when y'all were trying to sue Lexus and incite rioting for 0.4 seconds difference??? :p

ha ha, don't flame me please.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I remember some magazine says that the stock GTR is pumping out at least 320 or so HP, and samething applies to the WRX I think

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
*FLAME*

People care *ALOT* about .4 sec difference in 0-60.

7.1 sec (Lexus published numbers) were marginal.

I find 7.5 secs disappointing, and it is almost enought to make me change my mind on the purchase. I am sure that Lexus will loose ~some~ customers over the (lack of) performance...

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Yea i agree with TEG. The performance on the IS is not as good as everyone thinks. Although it is still better than many of its competitors. But for me, Im not realy gonna be a racer w/ my IS...for me its all show =)

------------------
Spectra Blue IS300

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
*FLAME*

People care *ALOT* about .4 sec difference in 0-60.

7.1 sec (Lexus published numbers) were marginal.

I find 7.5 secs disappointing, and it is almost enought to make me change my mind on the purchase. I am sure that Lexus will loose ~some~ customers over the (lack of) performance...

that is sad, their loss... but i think that this is definately a car people who are obsessed with numbers shouldn't buy... the driving experience ... especially at speed on twisties is something that numbers cannot do justice to... and if you must look at numbers consider these as well (113 ft 60-0, and slalom numbers that are comparable to those of the Porsche Boxster)...

look at the entire picture...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
maybe this car does not have great acceleration, but it handles great. I look taking those U shape freeway on-ramp and feel the g-force. Heck, the car will much better than my old eclipse GSX (4wd if you don't know).

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
2001 LS430:
290 bhp @ 5600 rpm
320 lb.-ft. @ 3600 rpm

2000 LS400:
290 hp @ 6000 rpm
300 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I think the 280 HP cap only applies to JDM cars. I don't really understand completely as even reliable sources have different reasons as to why there is the 280 HP cap. Anyway, the Supra was rated at 320 for the US, so I would imagine that if the LX430 was making more they could report it as more here in the US. Even the GS (US) is over the limit at 300 HP. I wonder if the JDM Supra TT is really 280. I think the turbos are different than the US version.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
That 280hp "voluntary" limit is probably history... I keep reading about new models for Japan that are supposed to go beyond 300hp. There have probably been some that just published 280hp even though they were over.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
everyone of them being doing that for a long time, they didn't just started now. Besides, Nissan has the 400R and that is 400HP, so I don't think anyone follow that limit anymore. I just love to see when all top japanese car has the same horsepower rating of 280hp, kind of funny sometimes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The following is from Edmunds.com:

#266 of 339: LS430 Video (agent0986) Sun 06 Aug '00 (08:44 PM)

Here's a GREAT video about the new LS430, for
those of you who have not seen it already. It Takes a while to download but its WELL worth it, shows LS430 in action.
http://www.westsidelexus.com/images/lexusnew.mov

Been unable to download this video; keep getting disconnected. Hope you will be able to view it. If you do, would be interested in hearing your comments. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
OMG HOW MUCH CRAP DID TEY PUT INTO THAT CAR...JEEEEEZZZZZZZZ :p i hate the exterior styling but just what the car offers gets me over that...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Originally posted by Simple Lad:

Been unable to download this video; keep getting disconnected. Hope you will be able to view it. If you do, would be interested in hearing your comments. Thanks!
The video is pretty cool. It shows a lot of the new gadgets they have added to the LS430. They are definitely going after the gadget happy S-Class and 7-series. It seems like the new LS430 is a pretty nice car, though.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't view the video...I have an ultra fast connection, but there's something wrong with the website.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
15 Participants
Simple Lad
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing