Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my front brakes will need to be replaced soonish. So rather than replace with the standard parts I thought why now upgrade now?

I have read up on this conversion and it seems very straightforward. I am going to go with a different (rankone kit) caliper adaptor setup than figs. Mainly because they are cheaper and they have been tested and work just as good. I believe the figs stuff used to be considerably cheaper in the past for this conversion but that’s beside the point.

My question is. For anyone that has done this conversion, how much did the RCA lower the car? I plan on running a Koni sport spring and shock combo that will lower the car slightly all around. There is no getting around the suspension as I want a comfortable ride for my wife. However if the front ends up noticeably lower because of the RCA then it’s a pass from me.

I see two ways around this so far:

1. run SUPRA TT calipers and rotors as the bolt straight on without RCA. I like this but they are heavy cast units and I would rather use the aluminum LS400 calipers for weight savings.

2. Keep standard IS brakes and just run a more aggressive pad and rotor setup.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
supra tt might be heavy but it's also the most ridged of the 3 (oem and ls400) if you want the best of both worlds look into the ls430 caliper.

but if it's strictly a street car? high quality blank disc and street pad with desired characteristics of noise and dust.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I reckon it’d lower it however thick the RCA is. Never done this route, but I’d say 1/2” just eyeballing the RCAs. You could email RankOne and ask, I bet they’d know.
I’ll go ahead and present option 3. 06-12 IS350 calipers, rotors and adapter of your choice (just be mindful of wheel clearance because they’re big). Plus, it will not lower the car any and the calipers are aluminum.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I reckon it’d lower it however thick the RCA is. Never done this route, but I’d say 1/2” just eyeballing the RCAs. You could email RankOne and ask, I bet they’d know.
I’ll go ahead and present option 3. 06-12 IS350 calipers, rotors and adapter of your choice (just be mindful of wheel clearance because they’re big). Plus, it will not lower the car any and the calipers are aluminum.
Do you run these? Where might I find the adaptors? Just google them up or are there brands that are better than others? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yessir I’m using IS350 four pistons up front. They’re pretty plentiful on eBay or salvage yard. Much lighter than the LS400 caliper. I am using the 350 phi adapters on my car, with Bosch quiet cast rotors and Akebono pads. There’s other brand adapters but can’t think of them at the moment.

Edit: I’m using 17” aftermarket wheels. Avid av26, they clear (barely).

·
Registered
617 Posts
I did the LS400 with Rankone RCAs. It lowered the car about 1/4 of an inch. If you are at near stock height, it's not going be a problem. If you are already lowered, the front end will be a little more noticable. I would run coilover with softer spring rates and you'll get your adjustment but doesn't affect ride quality that much.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yessir I’m using IS350 four pistons up front. They’re pretty plentiful on eBay or salvage yard. Much lighter than the LS400 caliper. I am using the 350 phi adapters on my car, with Bosch quiet cast rotors and Akebono pads. There’s other brand adapters but can’t think of them at the moment.

Edit: I’m using 17” aftermarket wheels. Avid av26, they clear (barely).
Care to share your wheel specs and a picture if you can manage?

·
Registered
2004 Lexus IS300 NA-T
459 Posts
To counteract the lowering effect of the RCAs, or angle kit in my case, I installed a set of these strut spacers. These gave me back the height I lost and allowed me to get some more adjustability range back in my coilovers. Installation was pretty easy and they have been rock solid for a few months now with no odd noises or other issues. These are only for the front, obviously.

Supreme Suspensions - Front Leveling Kit for Lexus GX470 GX460 2" Front Lift Strut Spacers 2WD 4WD (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RY1NH4C/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apap_8alJmE1Zpj77g

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah man no problem. They’re the avid1 av26 wheels. 17x8, 5x114.3, 35mm offset. I have 245/45/17 all around.
That’s fine bro. I appreciate that picture. Looks perfect. I don’t want a wheel bigger than 17” tbh. I guess I will have to find out what fits and what doesn’t. The stock is300 wheels for sure don’t fit right?

Supreme Suspensions - Front Leveling Kit for Lexus GX470 GX460 2" Front Lift Strut Spacers 2WD 4WD (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RY1NH4C/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apap_8alJmE1Zpj77g
Hey thanks for the suggestion on these. I was not aware that the 2iS brakes were an option. I will definitely be taking that route as it doesn’t affect any suspension geometry.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Mate, i didnt know you lived down under...?
God I wish heaps, mate. I’d chuck a sickie and grab a slab at the servo and head out to the woop-woop for some hoonin’! 😂

That’s fine bro. I appreciate that picture. Looks perfect. I don’t want a wheel bigger than 17” tbh. I guess I will have to find out what fits and what doesn’t. The stock is300 wheels for sure don’t fit right?
Hey man no prob. I’m pretty sure on 350phi’s site he has a printable template you can use to test fitment. I never had stock IS wheels. Mine had GS 16’s when I got it. You may could fit stockers with a spacer?

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey man no prob. I’m pretty sure on 350phi’s site he has a printable template you can use to test fitment. I never had stock IS wheels. Mine had GS 16’s when I got it. You may could fit stockers with a spacer?
I will have to try the template

·
Registered
2004 5-speed, w/ LSD & Sport package 😎
121 Posts
Ok so my front brakes will need to be replaced soonish. So rather than replace with the standard parts I thought why now upgrade now?

I have read up on this conversion and it seems very straightforward. I am going to go with a different (rankone kit) caliper adaptor setup than figs. Mainly because they are cheaper and they have been tested and work just as good. I believe the figs stuff used to be considerably cheaper in the past for this conversion but that’s beside the point.

My question is. For anyone that has done this conversion, how much did the RCA lower the car? I plan on running a Koni sport spring and shock combo that will lower the car slightly all around. There is no getting around the suspension as I want a comfortable ride for my wife. However if the front ends up noticeably lower because of the RCA then it’s a pass from me.

I see two ways around this so far:

1. run SUPRA TT calipers and rotors as the bolt straight on without RCA. I like this but they are heavy cast units and I would rather use the aluminum LS400 calipers for weight savings.

2. Keep standard IS brakes and just run a more aggressive pad and rotor setup.
Well, i kept my stock brakes (250k miles) and just have EBC red stuf 9000 (street/track pads) with OE bosch rotors and my brakes are extremely touchy. My brake lights barely engage and I am already lurching forward. I do have a question though... I have 18x9.5's up front with +30 offset, can I run LS400 calipers without spacers? I like my flush fitment ;)

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, i kept my stock brakes (250k miles) and just have EBC red stuf 9000 (street/track pads) with OE bosch rotors and my brakes are extremely touchy. My brake lights barely engage and I am already lurching forward. I do have a question though... I have 18x9.5's up front with +30 offset, can I run LS400 calipers without spacers? I like my flush fitment ;)
I’m sure you will have plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yeah man no problem. They’re the avid1 av26 wheels. 17x8, 5x114.3, 35mm offset. I have 245/45/17 all around. What angle on the pic?

That’s an older pic but it’s what I got on my phone. Can get other angles or whatever when I get home.
How's the brake feel and lockup? Also, are you using stock brakes in the rear?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Brakes feel great. Like stock really. They feel like they stop quicker than the stock, but I haven’t got any science to back it up. Maybe a bit “grabbier”? Yeah still on stock rears. Wanted to go with the XAT (I think?) caliper adapter to use an SC430 rear setup, but their adapters are like 250$, plus the calipers, rotors, and pads. I figure for the minimal amount of stopping the rears actually do, it wasn’t sensible.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Brakes feel great. Like stock really. They feel like they stop quicker than the stock, but I haven’t got any science to back it up. Maybe a bit “grabbier”? Yeah still on stock rears. Wanted to go with the XAT (I think?) caliper adapter to use an SC430 rear setup, but their adapters are like 250$, plus the calipers, rotors, and pads. I figure for the minimal amount of stopping the rears actually do, it wasn’t sensible.
That's good to hear about the 2IS brakes, I want to do them at some point. I'm sick of my ugly sticking OEM calipers on my car. And having the weight loss of the aluminum should help unsprung weight.

For the rears, do you mean the LS460 caliper with the MKIV Supra rotors?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
For the rears, do you mean the LS460 caliper with the MKIV Supra rotors?
No, that’s for fronts I think? I looked for the one I was thinking of, and now I can’t find it. Maybe not in production anymore? I’m pretty sure it was sc430 rears. And you had to buy the special Toyota bolts too, like 50$ for four of them. In their pics, the calipers looked good on the car, and I’m sure they worked good. Just expensive for what it was. This is it, but the ad says it’s not for the IS. Who knows?

·
Registered
116 Posts
No, that’s for fronts I think? I looked for the one I was thinking of, and now I can’t find it. Maybe not in production anymore? I’m pretty sure it was sc430 rears. And you had to buy the special Toyota bolts too, like 50$ for four of them. In their pics, the calipers looked good on the car, and I’m sure they worked good. Just expensive for what it was. This is it, but the ad says it’s not for the IS. Who knows?
It’s the LS430 rear calipers. The SC 430 rear calipers are the same as the IS300.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts