Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Usually pulling to one side only under acceleration on a rear wheel drive car points to problems in the rear of the car like worn control arm bushings or tire rubbing under squat.
Im thinking the same thing, pay to check all the front and rear bushes out, maybe the castor bush (#2?) as it will let the front wheel drag to the side under acceleration and braking.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Something weird today, I pushed the brake pedal all the way to the floor and I got a click or snap sound out of the drivers front wheel - the one that catches a bit. If I lift up a bit and push down a bit, it wont do it, but if I let it all the way up, and push back down, it does it again.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hotchkis are hollow
Hm, this leads to an interesting answer as to why they are hollow:

"Wrestling with a hollow vs. solid sway bar decision? Here’s a science-based explanation from Hotchkis for the why the central core material in a solid sway bar won’t affect overall sway bar or suspension performance:

“Sway bars work off of torsional force (twisting motion). Therefore, the material in the center of a solid bar plays little role in the resistance of torsional force. With this in mind, we have eliminated some of the center material and also moved some to the outside of the tube, where it is most effective. In turn, this produces a sway bar that is lighter in weight and just as stiff, if not stiffer than solid. For example, a 1’3/8″ hollow bar is equivalent to a 1’1/4″ solid. But the 1’3/8″ hollow bar is 6 percent stiffer and 43 percent lighter than the 1’1/4″ solid."

Source: Video: Strength Testing Hollow Vs. Solid Sway Bars - OnAllCylinders

Well, I didn't base my purchase decision off whether or not the bars are hollow, but rather their price. and after doing some research on the Eibach ones I bought a while ago, I'm relieved as to what I found

I send my regards to your far more expensive broken sway bar, well maybe not so expensive now haha :p

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, I didn't base my purchase decision off whether or not the bars are hollow, but rather their price. and after doing some research on the Eibach ones I bought a while ago, I'm relieved as to what I found

I send my regards to your far more expensive broken sway bar, well maybe not so expensive now haha :p
Thats a rather odd response.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Uh..

1. Do research on sway bars and post findings - wasnt relative to what I was posting
2. Mention how another brand I happen to buy from doesn't use hollow bars - already have that info
3. Make a friendly joke about your sway bar being broken - seemed immature
4. Profit? - value?
You were lost in translation

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Had my car in for maintenance a few weeks ago, and check the front wheels. They spin exactly how they should. The rub spot on the drivers side is gone.

·
Registered
955 Posts
FYI the hollow bar thing is basic engineering, i don't think i have seen a solid sway bar since the early 70's British vehicles, and even then pretty rare.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
FYI the hollow bar thing is basic engineering, i don't think i have seen a solid sway bar since the early 70's British vehicles, and even then pretty rare.
Eibach are solid and being sold in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I found out you could get the Hotchkis rear only, and it wasnt much more than the Eibach rear. Its stiffer, and adjustable, so I got another Hotchkis.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts