Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had LMS LS BBK installed up front. Running stock wheels, 225/45r17 BFGs, with 15mm spacers, and no RCAs (Im not lowered, no coilovers).
Problem is, that when I hit the throttle, the car wants to move to the left (kinda like 11 o'clock). It tracks fine when cruising.

So when I jack up the car, how free should the wheels revolve? When I try to spin the tires, they roll just a little bit. It sounds like the pads or something is rubbing on the discs. The passenger side rotates smoothly, but the drivers side tire rotates, and then seems to rub past something. Also, the steering is lighter and more sensitive than before.

HELP!

·
Registered
618 Posts
It's most likely your brake caliper slider on the DS is sticking. Take off the caliper from the mount and lube up the slider pins.

·
3,083 Posts
So I had LMS LS BBK installed up front. Running stock wheels, 225/45r17 BFGs, with 15mm spacers, and no RCAs (Im not lowered, no coilovers).
Problem is, that when I hit the throttle, the car wants to move to the left (kinda like 11 o'clock). It tracks fine when cruising.

So when I jack up the car, how free should the wheels revolve? When I try to spin the tires, they roll just a little bit. It sounds like the pads or something is rubbing on the discs. The passenger side rotates smoothly, but the drivers side tire rotates, and then seems to rub past something. Also, the steering is lighter and more sensitive than before.

HELP!
When you had it in the air and spun it. Did the passenger side spin more freely?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's most likely your brake caliper slider on the DS is sticking. Take off the caliper from the mount and lube up the slider pins.
so that would be the rub, but would that also cause the steering to drift to the left?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot, I also put 10mm spacers in back (they were lying around in the shop). Would it be better to go 15mm in back?

·
3,083 Posts
Its more of a sluggish rotation, but yes, the passenger side moves more freely. It doesnt hit a spot then feels like its rubbing.
Are the wheel bearing in good shape? Are there any signs that the caliper or something is rubbing? Otherwise it may be the pistons not moving freely in the bore on the caliper.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the wheel bearing in good shape? Are there any signs that the caliper or something is rubbing? Otherwise it may be the pistons not moving freely in the bore on the caliper.
I believe the bearings are good, It does sound like the pads are rubbing the calipers - so maybe the pistons arent moving.

Could it be rubbing on the dust covers? Not running AM RCAs, but not lowered or coilovers. Steers fine aside from that pull at acceleration - no bump/

·
3,083 Posts
I believe the bearings are good, It does sound like the pads are rubbing the calipers - so maybe the pistons arent moving.

Could it be rubbing on the dust covers? Not running AM RCAs, but not lowered or coilovers. Steers fine aside from that pull at acceleration - no bump/
Okay, If it is caliper drag. It will do it on or off the brakes the same. If only under acceleration. It may be an alignment issue. Like the load coming off the front causing a change. Did it do it before the caliper change?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, If it is caliper drag. It will do it on or off the brakes the same. If only under acceleration. It may be an alignment issue. Like the load coming off the front causing a change. Did it do it before the caliper change?
There were no problems prior to caliper change

·
3,083 Posts
Something is off. I know on the cars I work on the wheel does turn for a bit. Then stop. Meaning it is not like spinning it like a bicycle wheel.
Are your ball joints good?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Something is off. I know on the cars I work on the wheel does turn for a bit. Then stop. Meaning it is not like spinning it like a bicycle wheel.
Are your ball joints good?
They were replaced within the last year. Theres just something related to the new brakes. Everything fine with old brakes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Usually pulling to one side only under acceleration on a rear wheel drive car points to problems in the rear of the car like worn control arm bushings or tire rubbing under squat.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts