Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've got everything hooked up and was able to do it with the help from you guys. Pics will be posted within the next couple of days.

The sound is amazing, and, once I ad that sub, I got a feeling I'll have some jaw dropping sounds. Those HEX speakers really surpassed my expectations all I can say about them is...WOW!

My question is, my amplifier is the Diamond Audio D7152. It's a two channel amp and it has controls for low pass and high pass filtering. Since my hex speakers are wired with x-over, does this mean that those controls on the amp are useless and I wont' need them? If I will benefit by using them, how do you set them?

I've searched with no luck so please, whoever can shed some light here, I really appreciate it. :)

Thanks.

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Glad to hear everything worked out well!

I definitely would make sure that the lowpass is off and that it stays off.

You may want to set the highpass to a low frequency. What I did with my set-up was play some test music and adjust the knob until just below where I could hear a difference in the low frequencies.

Have you set the gain on the amp yet? I'd do these together.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
azzurro said:
Glad to hear everything worked out well!

I definitely would make sure that the lowpass is off and that it stays off.

You may want to set the highpass to a low frequency. What I did with my set-up was play some test music and adjust the knob until just below where I could hear a difference in the low frequencies.

Have you set the gain on the amp yet? I'd do these together.
Wow, that was quick...thanks.

Ok, leaving the low pass alone is no problem, one less worry for me. When you say to set the high pass to a low frequency, can you give me some sort of ballpark. According to the amp's owner's guide, the frequency adjustments range from 50Hz to 5KHz.

Also, I've read about how to set your gain where as you first turn down the gain of the amp fully counter clockwise and play music from a quality source like a cd and then raise the volume on the source unit until you start hearing distortion, then back off a bit from that point. That's pretty loud, won't that damage the speakers?

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Let me help you out here..

if you have the HEX speakers, they generally can take ALOT of power and be happy with them, but just because they have a crossover doesnt mean you DONT use the Hi pass filter on your amp. You must use it. The crossover has no protection against lower frequencies and will allow all the low ones to pass through, in turn damaging your speaker with higher loads.

How much power are you pushing to the Hex's?

If you are running lets say 100watts RMSx2 then you should cross them over around 68hz (use the Hipass filter, the low pass filter is for using a subwoofer and not a tweeter and mid)
If you run around 150 watts RMSx2 cross them over around 75hz..

If you run around 200 watts RMSx2 cross them over at 80hz..

Now, the question is, does your amp have a 24db octave crossover slope or a 12 or 18 db... For mids and highs a 12 Db or 18 db sound better. For subs i tend to like the 24 db when done properly... THe octave slope is how fast the slope drops.. A 12 db will drop flatter while a 24db will drop off steep and cutting off rather quick..

Let me know what you got goin on...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The features on this amp state that it has a "Third Order 18dB/Octave Butterworth Crossover Topology. The amp delivers 150 watts per side. Hope this helps.

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
grafixsalsero said:
Ok, leaving the low pass alone is no problem, one less worry for me. When you say to set the high pass to a low frequency, can you give me some sort of ballpark. According to the amp's owner's guide, the frequency adjustments range from 50Hz to 5KHz.
See Malek's answer below ;)

grafixsalsero said:
Also, I've read about how to set your gain where as you first turn down the gain of the amp fully counter clockwise and play music from a quality source like a cd and then raise the volume on the source unit until you start hearing distortion, then back off a bit from that point. That's pretty loud, won't that damage the speakers?
Are you sure it's that loud? Don't leave it clipping for an hour, just a second. With slow changes to the gain you shouldn't hurt the speakers.

That's pretty much the right process, but IIRC there should be an opportunity to adjust the amp's gain.

What's the impedance of your components?

Edit: Just saw your new post. At 150W RMS per side, that is the same amount of power I have running to my components. Don't worry, you won't blow your eardrums ;)

Malekreza11 said:
Let me help you out here..

if you have the HEX speakers, they generally can take ALOT of power and be happy with them, but just because they have a crossover doesnt mean you DONT use the Hi pass filter on your amp. You must use it. The crossover has no protection against lower frequencies and will allow all the low ones to pass through, in turn damaging your speaker with higher loads.

How much power are you pushing to the Hex's?

If you are running lets say 100watts RMSx2 then you should cross them over around 68hz (use the Hipass filter, the low pass filter is for using a subwoofer and not a tweeter and mid)
If you run around 150 watts RMSx2 cross them over around 75hz..

If you run around 200 watts RMSx2 cross them over at 80hz..

Now, the question is, does your amp have a 24db octave crossover slope or a 12 or 18 db... For mids and highs a 12 Db or 18 db sound better. For subs i tend to like the 24 db when done properly... THe octave slope is how fast the slope drops.. A 12 db will drop flatter while a 24db will drop off steep and cutting off rather quick..

Let me know what you got goin on...
Great answer Malek.

A highpass filter lets high frequencies through. We assume that there is no filtering of the high (20 000 Hz +) frequencies, so the cutoff point will be used to adjust how wide of a frequency slice you want to allow, with the adjustment taking place in the lower range.

Lowpass works the opposite.

Put them together and you have a bandpass filter. That's actually how digital filters (using op-amps and capacitors) are made. The circuits are just connected in series.

Like Malek said, you want to use the highpass to limit the low frequencies that are allowed to pass to your hex crossover, and subsequently to your midbass, for protection reasons.

Here are my questions and comments for Malek:
  1. Where did you get your frequency numbers, based on power? This has me curious.
  2. Shouldn't you base the frequency you cut off at, on the crossover slope? It seems illogical to not do that.
  3. How would you recommend setting the crossover point to such an exact frequency? Test tones? Oscilloscope? I know on my Diamond amp, you just have a knob. Good luck figuring out the frequency without some external aid...

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
To set the crossover frequencies i use test tones to set everything. I use test tones to set the gains, and once i get my hands on a decent mic and analyzer i will use PINK NOISE to set everything along with my audiocontrol dual 13band EQ.

THe numbers I gave are based on experiences with my own car to run safe and not run into issues. Generally, the more power you start to push to your comps, you need to cross them over at a higher frequency. I push 200 watts RMS per side to my hex's with a 12db crossover slope from my soundstream amp. THe comps are crossed over at 80hz and the subs are crossed over at 65 hz. (alot of tuning is still required for this darn thing)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got answers from the diamond audio tech rep and he said exactly what you told me, only not as detailed. +rep points to you my friend...thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
azzurro said:
Edit: Just saw your new post. At 150W RMS per side, that is the same amount of power I have running to my components. Don't worry, you won't blow your eardrums ;)
[/list]
It's not my eardrums I was worried about, it's the speakers. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
grafixsalsero said:
Just got answers from the diamond audio tech rep and he said exactly what you told me, only not as detailed. +rep points to you my friend...thanks.
glad i could be of help to you my friend! Awesome that you called diamond.. Most poeple are too lazy.. haha

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
grafixsalsero said:
It's not my eardrums I was worried about, it's the speakers. Thanks for your help.
No problem.

That's why I said it with a wink. I did say above:

azzurro said:
Don't leave it clipping for an hour, just a second. With slow changes to the gain you shouldn't hurt the speakers.

Malek, thanks for the info. I'd like to really start tuning as well.
Did you purchase a CD of test tones or make your own? What are they, sine waves?

Are you looking for a hardware or software-based analyzer?

In terms of "running into issues"... what issues did you notice? Permanent speaker damage? Reduction in sound quality? I know you've been through many a set-up...

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
azzurro said:
No problem.

That's why I said it with a wink. I did say above:

Malek, thanks for the info. I'd like to really start tuning as well.
Did you purchase a CD of test tones or make your own? What are they, sine waves?

Are you looking for a hardware or software-based analyzer?

In terms of "running into issues"... what issues did you notice? Permanent speaker damage? Reduction in sound quality? I know you've been through many a set-up...
i made my own set of CD's, unfortunately i LOST them and have to do it again.. I had cd's with 0db and -3db. the 0db was used for setting gains and thr -3db was used for crossovers and the future EQ tuning (hasnt happened yet)

The issues i ran into were sound quality issues. I have never blown out a component set because i am really careful (same idea as when i tune a motor, be careful and start conservative). One time i did blow a sub, but thats because it was a POS and i pushed 250 more than what was recomended (kinda was happy it died)

In my 2 IS300's ive been through rouhgly 6 stereo setups. The current one has lasted the longest so far...

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Me_1 said:
Whats the diff between Low Pass and High Pass
Low pass filters allow low frequencies to "pass through."
High pass filters allow high frequencies to "pass through."

Say we pass the sound wave of an arbitrary piece of music through a high pass filter. The filter will take the input, and the output from the filter will consist of the original wave input, minus any low frequencies. i.e. (this is a crude example) you will no longer hear the bass drum and other bass, but you'll hear the higher-octave vocals and the hi-hats.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts