Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm pretty ignorant about car stuff, I need advice/opinions on lowering. I was wondering if it was safe (for the car) if all I did was lower the rear and not the front. The 18 inch wheels fill out the front real nice, but the back looks real high. If I lowered front and rear, it looks like the front will rub.

Thanks in advance for your responses :D .

·
Registered
555 Posts
By lowering the back more than the front you have less suspension travel in back which could cause some strange handling quirks when encountering bumps in a corner; having some weight in the back of the car could make things even more quirky. You have also changed the angle of attack of the nose of the car, changing the air flow over and under the car and impacting drag and/or lift at higher speeds. From what I have read on this board, the IS suspension geometry doesn't like lowering due to a lack of camber adjustment. If I remember correctly, as you lower the IS you get too much negative camber and the stock adjusters don't have enough adjustment to compensate for it. What looks good many times doesn't work good as far as handling goes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jmess said:
By lowering the back more than the front you have less suspension travel in back which could cause some strange handling quirks when encountering bumps in a corner; having some weight in the back of the car could make things even more quirky. You have also changed the angle of attack of the nose of the car, changing the air flow over and under the car and impacting drag and/or lift at higher speeds. From what I have read on this board, the IS suspension geometry doesn't like lowering due to a lack of camber adjustment. If I remember correctly, as you lower the IS you get too much negative camber and the stock adjusters don't have enough adjustment to compensate for it. What looks good many times doesn't work good as far as handling goes.
Thanks jmess-- that's the kind of info I was hoping for.

·
Registered
555 Posts
One other thing to consider is the weight distribution of the car is also changed. Think of the wheels in a X pattern; when you change springs and or ride height on the left rear it changes the weight distribution on the right front. So dropping the left rear or decreasing the left rear spring rate takes weight off the right front and increases weight on the left rear and in turn raising the left rear or increasing the left rear spring rate increases weight on the right front wheel. It all works sorta like a chair where one leg is longer or shorter than the others. If you change all 4 corners/legs the same amount then there is no change in weight distribution.

In the end you can drive yourself crazy with all the possibilities. So going with a suspension setup that has been engineered for your car will insure that all the variables have been looked at and a compromise was chosen (ride, supension travel, ground clearance, handling, suspension geometry, and etc) that provides a balanced setup.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have the Tein High Tech springs for the sport cross, while they claim a 1" drop all round, It is actually more of a 1.5" drop and has closed the gap in the both the front and the back so they look equal, That is the back is not raised up more than the front.You can check out my ride by clicking the link in my signiture to see for yourself. if you have any more question just PM me.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nocturnal_streetracer said:
I have the Tein High Tech springs for the sport cross, while they claim a 1" drop all round, It is actually more of a 1.5" drop and has closed the gap in the both the front and the back so they look equal, That is the back is not raised up more than the front.You can check out my ride by clicking the link in my signiture to see for yourself. if you have any more question just PM me.
Thanks. PMed you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts