Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get lowering springs for my gita wagon. So I use my car for large loads sometimes for the business, and have a full car with luggage sometimes, as I’m the only one with space out of my mates. Question is, how much of a drop can I take before I run into issues if taking heavy loads with lowering springs? Cheers

·
Registered
867 Posts
Ive got about a 35mm drop on Tein hitech springs (? gold ones, were on the Gita when i got it). They are about right, factory muffler just clears the hump in the driveway, aftermarket one sometimes just scrapes. Can get over most speed humps fine (scraping or having to try and go over sideways is a pet peeve to me), just the super aggressive bumps will hit the floor pan.

We had it loaded right up for a camping trip up north to Whatuwhiwhi last year and seemed to be fine on the tarmac, didn't go down any metal roads with it loaded though.

·
Mr. Roo
9,685 Posts
I use my car for large loads sometimes for the business, and have a full car with luggage sometimes, as I’m the only one with space out of my mates.
I personally would run some coilovers with your own selected stiffer spring rates, so you could get the drop without any worry of rubbing and scraping and bottoming out. I've got 14k spring rates in the back of my sedan, and I can carry 1000 pounds no problem. Of course, it means you've got a stiffer ride the rest of the time too even without loading, so it just depends. Lowering springs tend to be stiffer rates to help compensate the less clearance and give the "sporty feeling", but I just skip that and go with coilovers so it's a full package.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Only problem is over here in NZ if you get coilovers you have to get the car certified to be able to get annual fitness checks, its not the end of the world but it turns a NZ$1200 job into an NZ$1600 job depending on what coilovers you go for and if you change it sometimes you can have issues with anally retentive police or fitness inspection checks. However as replacing standard with lowered springs are still OEM captive you dont need certification as long as any of the solid parts of the car (body, suspension, etc.) is at least 100mm off the tarmac, so its a fairly easy change.

The other thing i was thinking with lowering, just remember if you go for the usual "Low" ~25mm drop you can still get pretty close to your OEM alignment specs, mines just on the boarder line. If your go for the "superlow" ~40-50mm drop you are going to start getting camber and possibly caster issues without offset bushes or adjustable suspension arms. Mine tends to chew the inside of the tires out a little, depending on the tire and driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts