Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much of a problem would it cause if i were to drop it on tein s-techs w/ stock shocks?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I find the stock shocks to be under valved with the stock suspension when driving torwards the limit. If you are going to go all the trouble and expense to change the springs you would be money a head in the long run to change the shocks at the same time. You may have noticed that the L-Tuned suspension package has springs and shocks. The L-Tuned springs are fairly conservate for rate and drop yet they swapped out the shocks also.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
the l-tuned suspension is only springs and sways....
they use the factory shocks
but the drop is only 1-1.2" and the spring rate is mild
i think if you drop more than 1.5", aftermarket performance shocks are req'd

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'm dropped on tein ht's on stock shocks. Got them installed at 21k and now have 33k on my car. No problems, but i'm getting there. I recommend that you just buy some shocks and do it all at the same time. You won't have to pay for two installs and two alignments.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had an Eibach-Pro Kit with stock shocks and then switched to Tein S-Techs with Bilstein shocks. The Prokit rode good but didn't drop much. The Tein/Bilstein combo rides a little firmer then the Prokit but I got 1.75 drop all around and it handles better. I am going to post a review of both with pics next week.

·
Vendor
4,811 Posts
juniorsdad said:
the l-tuned suspension is only springs and sways....
they use the factory shocks
but the drop is only 1-1.2" and the spring rate is mild
i think if you drop more than 1.5", aftermarket performance shocks are req'd
H&R's on stockers...going on 70K miles. It is fine IMHO. No hop yet and the ride and valving are perfect for my style. My back is stiff enough with out over-damping. The things everyone misses here is that they don't drive a racecar they drive a streetcar....different environments call for different tuning ;) Oh and a new alignment would be required if the shocks have the same mounting location.

Fig

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
NPB4ME said:
I had an Eibach-Pro Kit with stock shocks and then switched to Tein S-Techs with Bilstein shocks. The Prokit rode good but didn't drop much. The Tein/Bilstein combo rides a little firmer then the Prokit but I got 1.75 drop all around and it handles better. I am going to post a review of both with pics next week.
Tell me how that S-Tech and Biltstein combo feels, I'm going to order some Biltstein later on.. Thanks :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
I lost a little travel, like when I go over speed bumps. I feel more of the road and the freeway is a little rougher. Nothing hard, just firmer. The car seems to be more respondsive and it likes cornering better now. All in all, I like the ride, but it lost some of the Lexus smoothness I loved so much. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being a stock E-Shift IS, I would say the Prokit is a 8 and the Bilstein-Teins are a 6-7. But the tride is very tollerable. Sorry for the bad spelling, I just played two 9 inning baseball games in 100+ degree weather.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts