Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I've had my IS350 for about 2 and 1/2 years and haven't a day where I don't love it! I just hit 40k miles and have started to notice a noise when going at higher speeds. The noise makes a deep low hum is a coming from the front passenger side wheel. It seems to only occur when I go about 70+.. I wanted to get some advice here before taking it in to a mechanic. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hey all! I've had my IS350 for about 2 and 1/2 years and haven't a day where I don't love it! I just hit 40k miles and have started to notice a noise when going at higher speeds. The noise makes a deep low hum is a coming from the front passenger side wheel. It seems to only occur when I go about 70+.. I wanted to get some advice here before taking it in to a mechanic. Thanks :)
Do you get a slight shimmy/vibration in your steering wheel? Sometimes a wheel weight falls off and (because a wheel weight is only several grams) you get a very mild vibration and noise at high speed. It could be cured by a simple check of the tire balance. Especially, if the tires are old. The normal wear of a tire sometimes is not perfectly even throughout and it becomes slightly out of balance. Go have the dealership check it out.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
How are your tires? Are they worn out badly? I know my Michelins are almost gone and my car sounds like a pickup truck at 80+mph

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are your tires? Are they worn out badly? I know my Michelins are almost gone and my car sounds like a pickup truck at 80+mph
My tires have plenty of tread on them, I currently have the Continental Extreme Contacts on, tried to inspect them best as I could.. didn't see much uneven wear. Most people are telling me its out of alignment or needs to be balanced, we'll see! Thanks for the advice thus far

·
Geezer
52,611 Posts
My tires have plenty of tread on them, I currently have the Continental Extreme Contacts on, tried to inspect them best as I could.. didn't see much uneven wear. Most people are telling me its out of alignment or needs to be balanced, we'll see! Thanks for the advice thus far
I have the same tires with just a little noise around 40 MPH but quiet at highway speeds.

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
Sounds like its coming from your tires, try swapping them from left to right and see if it still makes the noise.
Even if they are directionals, I would try just to see if its the tire, and then put them back to their correct side.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I still occasionally here the low pitched hum between 65-70MPH.. did the whole tire thing a while ago but no difference.

I did some research online and found this but for the GX 470:

TSIB DL001-08 (2003–2008 LEXUS GX 470); DRIVELINE VIBRATION/DRONE BETWEEN 55 - 75 MPH
Customers of some 2003 – 2008 model year GX 470 vehicles may complain of a vibration/drone felt in the floorboard or seat when maintaining steady speeds between 55 and 75 mph.

55 – 65 mph Vibration/Drone:
OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
DL7003 Install Revised Dynamic Differential Damper 0.5 41196–60010 9B 99

70 – 75 mph Vibration/Drone:
DL7004 Install Transfer FR Drive Chain and
Transfer Case Dynamic Damper
8.5 36293–35040 9B 99

Anyone else notice anything at all between those speeds? Its more noticeable with the windows down. It feels like its coming from the floorboard on the passenger side. The very odd part is it doesn't always happen (or maybe I just hardly drive at those speeds!).

Also found this for an older Acura MDX, they had a TSB as well.

ACURA MDX . ORG - Low Humming noise at 70 mph?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I still occasionally here the low pitched hum between 65-70MPH.. did the whole tire thing a while ago but no difference.

I did some research online and found this but for the GX 470:

TSIB DL001-08 (2003–2008 LEXUS GX 470); DRIVELINE VIBRATION/DRONE BETWEEN 55 - 75 MPH
Customers of some 2003 – 2008 model year GX 470 vehicles may complain of a vibration/drone felt in the floorboard or seat when maintaining steady speeds between 55 and 75 mph.

55 – 65 mph Vibration/Drone:
DL7003 Install Revised Dynamic Differential Damper 0.5 41196–60010 9B 99

70 – 75 mph Vibration/Drone:
DL7004 Install Transfer FR Drive Chain and
Transfer Case Dynamic Damper
8.5 36293–35040 9B 99

Anyone else notice anything at all between those speeds? Its more noticeable with the windows down. It feels like its coming from the floorboard on the passenger side. The very odd part is it doesn't always happen (or maybe I just hardly drive at those speeds!).

Also found this for an older Acura MDX, they had a TSB as well.

ACURA MDX . ORG - Low Humming noise at 70 mph?
The original poster has an IS350, which doesn't even have any of the parts referenced for the GX470 nor anything like them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts