Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's a weekend driver with occasional road track, and auto cross events. I'd like to get some more power out of the engine while I have all this stuff apart, if the price/gain is reasonable. I'll consider boosting it in the future, but I should really spend a little more time getting the suspension/brakes improved first. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my humble opinion (not so experienced with the 2jz engine, but with plenty of experience with engines and performance upgrades in general), either way you go, n/a or f/I, you can't go wrong with a good cam upgrade.
In the hours and hours of research I've done so far, OEM head gasket is a great choice boosted or not. I can't say too much on what is the best headers, but I will say that if you go cheap with em, the welds may not be that great and the gauge of the tube won't be as thick either. You also run into maybe losing some low end grunt if they didn't do any R&D with their design. Too large of primaries will make you lose the amount of back pressure and velocity you want to help with scavenging exhaust from the cylinders. So just do some research on whatever header you decide on, compare the specs of them with a well known brand and if they are pretty close or match, go for it!

Can ARP studs go on while the block is still in the car? Will the head for back on? OEM head gasket or something else? Anyone have BC 264 cams? If so, are they worth the money? Anyone running headers they recommend? Thanks all!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you! Anyone tried using felpro gaskets all around? Anything you think it's definitely worth getting Toyota specific gaskets for? I'm particularly interested in thoughts around head gasket, valve stem seals, and cam seals. Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thank you! Anyone tried using felpro gaskets all around? Anything you think it's definitely worth getting Toyota specific gaskets for? I'm particularly interested in thoughts around head gasket, valve stem seals, and cam seals. Thanks, everyone!
I used oem head gasket and all oem seals besides the valve seals which were supertech brand. 1200 miles since my rebuild and no leaks so far. if you can get the oem part number and shop around online between lexus and toyota dealerships websites + ebay + amazon you can generally find some good deals on oem gaskets and seals.

Im sure felpro gaskets would work fine as well. i've used them in the past on my other cars, i just like the thought of having oem stuff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've used Fel-Pro on just about every single project I've ever had. Never had any issues with em yet. They always seem to come with parts you won't use tho, seemingly to just confused the heck outta you. Lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks all! I used to work at a shop and we used felpro all the time. Just wanted to check with some experienced 2jz owners to see if there was anything special. Any of you running bc 264s? If so, are you happy with them? I'm getting the itch to pick some up since the head is over at the machine shop and they are going to fix the valve clearance/lash anyways. On that note, anyone running an adjustable exhaust cam?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts