Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello brothers and sisters, greetings from Sydney.

2001 stock as stock can be in 2022.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Wheel

She will retired from full time use soon after being a daily for 21 years. Ex Funeral Directors car.

300,000 kms (186,000 miles) right hand drive.

Harmonic Balancer replaced last year has been her only real issue. The mobile mechanic and I got it sorted. I was in charge of holding the radiator. Total success.

Amazingly resilient car. No plans to fiddle with the 2jz but fix the interior wear and tear. A weekend hobby I can enjoy.

A testament to the skilled Japanese craftsman who built her. Glides along easy. They are heroes!

More later.

Lexus IS drivers often wave to each other in Australia. Very enthusiastic and friendly.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Car looks great in Black - haven't seen a Black one in nice shape in a LONG time... In fact, pretty rare to see these cars in nice shape, period.

With the age and miles, I recommend you take a close look at every piece of rubber on the car - the belts/hoses/suspension bushings.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind welcome.

Our second car is an Australian Built 2013 Camry. So the “ TMA” in my name comes from Toyota Motor Corporation of Australia. That’s gone up in value thanks to co vid etc!?!

Ford and GM pulled out a few years ago here and because of lack of volume, the third party suppliers guys shut down and Toyota which was profitable and exporting couldn’t get the economies of scale and had to leave as a manufacturer.

So a sad time. Australian Toyotas in particular, very well put together, alas.

But hey,Japanese Lexus, we are in a whole new world. I hear the modern US built ones are pretty good.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Tire Wheel

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

Theres a bit more wear and tear on the car than these photos indicate.

Up close, some light scratching and one of the leather seats is cracking.

Engine just purrs, quiet at idle.

Snow function etc all working! Cat approved vehicle.

Hood Automotive lighting Car Automotive tire Automotive design

As suggested earlier, people here, we choose to own and drive the IS.

So when you see others about, we share basic similar automotive values. But the tricked up ones, some of them are breathtaking.

As we slide past all the broken down over engineered over priced European cars. A check engine light for a dirty indicator bulb which you need to pull out the transmission to replace!

You can buy relatively cheap mercs and bmws here. The status is fading away. Money pits and no cool factor compared to Japanese cars. We can even get special jap inspired plates if we want.

Not so Lexus. Highly sought after, growing in popularity every year.

Car cleaned at home with CarPro products (Korean) and Poorboys ( USA).

I will check the hoses as advised. Ta.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone, I’m going to try to “mod the car back to stock” mode I suppose as my engineering skills and finances only go so far! I figure it’s done it’s day job and it needs a caring retirement ( but will always be registered!)

But I love seeing a tricked up IS, growling away and reflect on the the love and care the owners put into them. It’s a constructive ambition to mod away an IS and their owners usually appreciate another IS no matter what.

I am interested by the exterior design and I’d like to learn more about the idea of the IS and the design language they adopted.

This car was really expensive when it was new and heaps of companies tried to copy the iconic tail lights but copies etc, I don’t know, but they don’t seem right. Like a shoe that doesn’t quite fit.

And the miracle of Japanese high end vehicles.

And I can’t understand the Europeans and their often beautiful shapes, not matched by decent engines, reliability etc. Half cooked, not understanding customer expectations.

And evs on the way!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts