Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 IS with a 182,000 miles on it. I have never had any major problems. About two weeks ago I started hearing a squeaking noise coming from the front driver side as I turn in either direction. The noise went away but has now come back and even LOUDER. You can easily hear it from like 10 feet away! Does anyone know what it can possibly be? I live in Chicago and thought it was possibly salt build up. I just had the car washed, as well as the under carriage, but no luck....

·
Registered
312 Posts
is the noise only there while you turn the wheel?? if so i have the exact same problem, it was loud as hell but the funny thing was it just went right away when it was dry.. weird.. i would get these loud ass queeks when im in parking lots and ppl would look at me lol.. quite embarrasing

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Haha! The squeaker! Okay this is a common problem! You need to lube up your streering shaft grommet.

Grab some oil (wd40, PB Blaster, lithium grease, motor oil) any kind will do. Open your drivers door. Go under to the gas pedal and you will see a shaft that goes through your bulwark (firewall) and lube it up! Drive it around. If that does not fix it then I know other things we can try. This is the most common problems though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is embarrasing!!! I have people constantly turning and looking at me!

I checked the power steering fluid and it is ok.

LOL! It is definately a squeaker!!! I just got in from lubing the steering shaft and it is still making that noise. While I had the door open I turned the steering wheel in both directions and the noise is definately coming from the driver side tire... Almost sounds like the car needs to be lubed but there are no grease fittings.... Or at least none that I can see...

·
Registered
355 Posts
is the noise only there while you turn the wheel?? if so i have the exact same problem, it was loud as hell but the funny thing was it just went right away when it was dry.. weird.. i would get these loud ass queeks when im in parking lots and ppl would look at me lol.. quite embarrasing

mine is doing the same..

Check power steering fluid. Might need a new pump.

i did check the power steering fluid and also did a flush.

I may just have to replace the pump :(

·
Registered
935 Posts
Loose drive belt?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.