Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone quick question.. first, I have searched a lot and I know that exhausts drone between 2-3k rpm.. at least some of them do..

in any case, mine is sounding REALLY loud inside the cabin around those rpms.. of course this may be normal, but to me it sounds way unbearable ( HKS Drager II ) .. becuase I thought this exhaust wasnt too bad?

heres my question.. if it is not bolted up tightly and there is a leak.. will the drone be louder like this? cuz, when I was bolting it up, I noticed that I was turning the wrench .. and then all of a sudden it stopped ( for both bolts ) ... it did not get tighter gradually like I expected.. is this normal? or maybe i didnt really get it tight enough?

THANKS in advance for any input..!!!!!!!!

btw, I dont have a garage or driveway, so it does take some effort to get under my car.. which is why I htought Id ask first :) :D

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
yeah a leak could make a huge difference in sound and also power
just saying, even though the leak doesnt cuase the loud sound and if you are even just a little doubtful about a possible leak you gotta get under that car and check it out. if your lazy like me its a biatch to do that, but hey thats how it is it sucks so slap the donkey and get your ass mov'n....hehe i dunno :crazy:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Hiper and at times its quiet, at times its louder. I am not really sure what causes it but it may be that i also didnt tighten it too well or maybe just due to heat, once it heats up the metal expands and may create a at the connection. What would be the best way to find if I have a leak or not ? If I look at the connection right now I guess i should see some oil or whatever on it ?

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
im not sure if the dragger has the two pin holes on the tip of the exhaust, but if it does, you can always purchase the silencer kit from HKS to remove additional noise =P

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies!

yea I will get under there and check..

anyone recall if they had the same problem with the bolts that i mentioned? they just stopped all of a sudden and I couldnt hand-tighten any further.

thanks!

·
Registered
935 Posts
gc43 said:
hey everyone quick question.. first, I have searched a lot and I know that exhausts drone between 2-3k rpm.. at least some of them do..

in any case, mine is sounding REALLY loud inside the cabin around those rpms.. of course this may be normal, but to me it sounds way unbearable ( HKS Drager II ) .. becuase I thought this exhaust wasnt too bad?

heres my question.. if it is not bolted up tightly and there is a leak.. will the drone be louder like this? cuz, when I was bolting it up, I noticed that I was turning the wrench .. and then all of a sudden it stopped ( for both bolts ) ... it did not get tighter gradually like I expected.. is this normal? or maybe i didnt really get it tight enough?

THANKS in advance for any input..!!!!!!!!

btw, I dont have a garage or driveway, so it does take some effort to get under my car.. which is why I htought Id ask first :) :D
Did you put a new gasket in there when you installed your exhaust? If you re-used an old one maybe it was too packed down to seal properly. Are the bolts/studs involved a shouldered design, i.e. meaing only part of the shaft has threads on it? The way you describe the wrench stopping suddenly sounds like you might have reached the end of the threaded part before there was sufficient compression of the parts together.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm that sounds interesting,

firtst quick question.. I was under the impression that there is no gasket between the resonator and the axle-back exhaust? I didnt see one there ( or maybe it was too compressed to notice ), and I certainly did not add a new one.. so maybe there's where I went wrong :-(

the bolts are spring loaded.. and im not sure if the threading stops.. i will need to check on that too.

but i guess the gasket question is important.. anyone know if i need to get a new gasket for axle-back exhaust install? (if so, Im one stupid mofo :lol: ) THANKS!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bloody_finga said:
I have a Hiper and at times its quiet, at times its louder. I am not really sure what causes it but it may be that i also didnt tighten it too well or maybe just due to heat, once it heats up the metal expands and may create a at the connection. What would be the best way to find if I have a leak or not ? If I look at the connection right now I guess i should see some oil or whatever on it ?
thanks for the input!

yea mine does exactly that.. it doesnt get loud until the car warms up ( after about 3-5 minutes of driving depending on the weather ) .. so maybe a gap is forming when the metal gets hot..

haha but then again, most people have the same problem, so i dunno if its even fixable (ie, its just how the exhaust sounds ) :lol:

well Ill definitely let u know if i can fix it once I get under the car prolly next week,

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
a leaky exhasut is crappy sounding, not just loud, like an old breaking down, rusted out cavalier :p like a clicking almost, but not as nice sounding clicking. its pretty obvious... if the exhaust note is smooth, i doubt its a leak

my dragger can be pretty loud at the right rpms, at times unbearable. i have had some pretty loud cars, and been in even louder ones, and mine is pretty quiet compared to those, so "unbearable" is definately in the ear of the beholder. :)

try a silencer you can get them for not much money and from what i understand they make a significant difference

1 - 10 of 10 Posts