Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right after i start the engine and shift into reverse or drive, when the car starts moving, even without touching the gas pedal, it makes a loud clunking noise that seems to be coming from either the brakes or the transmission....everytime.

I have purchase my used 02 IS E-shift for about 3 months now.

It didn't occur to me that this noise would be a cause of concern when I bought it because I was so excited about the car. Anyway I have taken my car to DVNL in Toronto for this problem. After 3 hrs of waiting the service dept rep brushed it off as a brake problem. I wasn't satisfied so I checked with the sales rep who sold me the car and he was kind enough to test it out with me. He too reconized that this is abnormal and he had consulted with their so call "master technician". Their conclusion was that it was the electrical system of the car calibrating, and that there is nothing that they can do about it. Again that left me unsatisfied but I had to leave due to all the time already wasted.

Sorry for the long rant but does anyone else here in Canada have the same problem with their E-shift IS? And were you able to find out further what the cause of this problem and the remedy may be? I like the car alot but this issue is putting a huge dent in an otherwise enjoyable experience. Also any recommendation for a better dealership service department in the GTA?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Eric

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I hear Ken Shaw has the best service staff in Toronto.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
If you're out on the west side; go to Lexus of Oakville... they
replaced my transmission for a brand new one under warranty... I
drive an 02 5spd. Talk to Dennis and tell him Jakob sent you from
the IS300 board.

j

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have the same problem, only when I go into reverse though. Im taking mine in on Fri. It sounds like it's coming from the transmission... Anyone else have this problem or no what it is?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Crester said:
I hear Ken Shaw has the best service staff in Toronto.
Where is this wonderful place?? :)
I agress Don Vally sucks!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure going to check out other dealerships first.

So no one else has this problem? Hope I didn't get a lemon.

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
TO_IS300 said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure going to check out other dealerships first.

So no one else has this problem? Hope I didn't get a lemon.
I think there's been discussion of clunking noises before. Try searching in General Discussion... you may turn up quite a few threads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took Azzurro's advice, did a search. It seems like the general consense of the cause of this noise is the ABS system calibration after each start up of the IS. It just seems weird to me cause it never happens to my other cars with ABS. Anyway I hope this is normal. Thanks.

Pope: Good luck on your visit with your dealership. Maybe you can find out more and let us know?!

·
Registered
131 Posts
the problem that you are all having is that the rack that holds the brake pads in the caliper has expanded making the brake pads loose inside. the brake pads then shift up and down when you put the car in reverse and then in drive. this happened to me a while back and i also thought it was my transmission. i took it to my local mechanic and all he did was pull the caliper off and put the rack on a press to close it up a little bit. this will fix that noise for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts