Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have been noticing a lot of interior noise lately, especially when going over small bumps and inconsistencies in the road. Most of the noise seems to be coming from the front, center portion of the interior console. Perhaps something is coming loose in the engine bay or in the inner-workings of the car?

What about suspension?

I realize I need new tires and I assume they have something to do with this - but quite honestly, the tread on the OEM Bridgestone's is probably good for another 5K miles.

Meanwhile, the clicking noise from the brake calipers and rusty rotors are starting to make me wonder if I should keep calling this a "luxury sports sedan". Okay...just kidding...I don't mean to "diss" the IS 300, but I feel like the car should be holding up better.

It's 100% garage kept and gets maybe 20 miles a day of travel at most.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
I've been having noise that seemed to come from the front of the centre console. It was bothering me so much that I took the entire dash apart and drove around, only to determine that the noise really wasn't coming from there.

Next logical choice was the moonroof. Many people have been have squeaky moonroofs, but, after doing some experimentation, I also ruled this out.

My problem is actually, believe it or not, the driver's seat belt (at the point where the buckle clips in).

I'd notice it over bumpy roads and everytime I shifted (pushing the clutch in causes a shift of weight on the seat). It sounds like an annoying creaking noise, coming right from the centre of the dash (like it's from behing the cd player).

Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the noise. I don't really want to pour WD40 into the clip...

This probably isn't your problem, but it doesn't hurt to rule it out. What does the noise sound like?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Azzuro,

When you took the dash apart, did you find anything loose or out of place? That was a lot of work to go through!

I can best describe my interior noise as a "rattling". And now that I describe it in that way, I wonder if I should take my CDs out of the CD player. Hmm...now there is an idea.

You think your issue is the seatbelt? Would it be the passenger side or driver side seatbelt? Since you drive a manual, could it possibly be a noise coming from beneat the shift knob? I dunno, just some ideas...

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
azzurro said:
I've been having noise that seemed to come from the front of the centre console. It was bothering me so much that I took the entire dash apart and drove around, only to determine that the noise really wasn't coming from there.

Next logical choice was the moonroof. Many people have been have squeaky moonroofs, but, after doing some experimentation, I also ruled this out.

My problem is actually, believe it or not, the driver's seat belt (at the point where the buckle clips in).

I'd notice it over bumpy roads and everytime I shifted (pushing the clutch in causes a shift of weight on the seat). It sounds like an annoying creaking noise, coming right from the centre of the dash (like it's from behing the cd player).

Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the noise. I don't really want to pour WD40 into the clip...

This probably isn't your problem, but it doesn't hurt to rule it out. What does the noise sound like?
OMG Azzuro, I have the same annoying creak! I have decided
that the culprit is the seatbelt clip where it's bolted to the frame.
I haven't rectified this squeek yet, but it pisses me off so much!!

Luxury cars arent suppose to squeek ---> :pissed: :pissed:

Let me know if you find out what it is...I'm going to tackle this
problem on Tuesday and post my results.

j

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Neolicious said:
Hey Azzuro,

When you took the dash apart, did you find anything loose or out of place? That was a lot of work to go through!

I can best describe my interior noise as a "rattling". And now that I describe it in that way, I wonder if I should take my CDs out of the CD player. Hmm...now there is an idea.

You think your issue is the seatbelt? Would it be the passenger side or driver side seatbelt? Since you drive a manual, could it possibly be a noise coming from beneat the shift knob? I dunno, just some ideas...
In my case, it is definitely the seatbelt. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does happen, if I let off and then apply pressure (driver's seat) with my right leg (like what you do when you shift), I can see the buckle move and I can hear it creak. I can do the same thing with my hand and it will make the noise.

Taking the dash apart wasn't a huge deal because I've already taken it apart many times to install my in-car computer ;)

Everything did seem in-place back there. I didn't notice anything that I thought could cause a problem.

If you hear a clicking, I'd look into the moonroof. Search for a post by member CEB on how to rectify the issue.

boman said:
OMG Azzuro, I have the same annoying creak! I have decided
that the culprit is the seatbelt clip where it's bolted to the frame.
I haven't rectified this squeek yet, but it pisses me off so much!!

Luxury cars arent suppose to squeek ---> :pissed: :pissed:

Let me know if you find out what it is...I'm going to tackle this
problem on Tuesday and post my results.
I'm pretty sure we have the same issue. Maybe it's a Toronto problem? I definitely think that it's the seatbelt clip as well.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I get clicks and squeeks coming from the dash as well, the problem is it's all plastic and when it rubs against other plastic parts it will make noise.

Try pushing on the edge of the stereo, you will most probably hear a squeek.

It's pretty annoying, not sure if its fixeable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
azzurro said:

Azzurro, i've had the problem with the squeky seat belt clip before. I put a couple of drops of 3in1 oil at the base and it has been fine since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts