Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad news: I lost my IS while i was driving down a street and all of a sudden this camry does a california stop..i was traveling at 30-35 and the whole front end got smashed in air bags deployed and sh*it...and the chassis is all bent up..(total loss at $28,000) i only put 20k miiles on that car and just did the 5k service.. :pissed:
-post pics later..

Good news: getting a new IS and this time im a l-tuned 5spd.. :crazy:

·
8,880 Posts
Glad to hear you're alright. 8)
Congratulations in getting a new is. :p

P.S.
It's better that the car is totaled. Once it's fixed, it is not the same.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
dragonblade said:
Bad news: I lost my IS while i was driving down a street and all of a sudden this camry does a california stop..i was traveling at 30-35 and the whole front end got smashed in air bags deployed and sh*it...and the chassis is all bent up..(total loss at $28,000) i only put 20k miiles on that car and just did the 5k service.. :pissed:
Sorry to hear about that.

But how did u managed 20K miles when u just got the 5K serice?

·
Registered
937 Posts
dragonblade said:
Sorry to hear about the accident. Good luck in finding a "new" L-Tuned IS300 with a manual transmission....

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
glad to hear, congrats, dont forget to sue the bloody camry :D

·
Registered
975 Posts
dragonblade said:
-post pics later..

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a "california" stop?

ps- to the other dude replying,
It must've been his 4th 5K service (4X5K = 20K)

·
8,803 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a "california" stop?
rolling a stop sign... not stopping.

·
Registered
153 Posts
They are called California stops if you live outside Cali.

We call it a Hollywood stop in Cali :lol:

(Dunno what to call it if you live in Hollywood)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well..to begin with I was driving up a hill and coming towards an intersection there is a house on the corner and at the side there were several cars and trucks that kinda made it kind of a "blind spot intersection"...the guy in the camry"says" he couldn't see me, butI just saw a car and i knew there was a stop sign there.then what a surprise as i was sort of in the middle of the intersection the car jumps out right in front of me and by the time i slammed the brakes i crushed my front end :eek: ...A firetruck saw it all..and was on the scene in about a minutes time? if that?...well the claim is being handled with my lawyer and so far i got the car paid off(2002 e-shift) with an extra 10G's. :crazy:

Damn i miss my IS but i still got my dragger II & my momo cobra shift knob..but the PLP intake and K&N filter is ruined(could care less about that). and i lost my cellphone too...i think the officers stole it..haha

im going to san jose tomorrow to pick up my check :p hopefully my dealer will have my order ready for me this weekend..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
updated

::update:: i went to my sales representative two days ago and asked him if he could find me an 2003 l-tuned is300 black on black 5spd...i went there today and he said he couldn't find it yet...(im guessing it's very hard to find a l-tuned on the lot) but he said he'll give me the same price of what i got my previous one(27,700 +tax and license.) and give me a discount on the l-tuned body kit and 3 free services and a free detail...for not finding one.. :D i got it all in writing too..just a matter of the week going by until i get settled at my new house.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Re: Brakes?

nilvedogis said:
I've got no sympathy for dude who can't stop @ 35 mph with our brakes.
I actually think our brakes are kinda weak. You have to press the pedal down like an inch before the car even starts braking. Or maybe there's just something wrong with my car. :-?

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts

T Man said:
nilvedogis said:
I actually think our brakes are kinda weak. You have to press the pedal down like an inch before the car even starts braking. Or maybe there's just something wrong with my car. :-?
I have no complaints with my stock brakes... they've already stopped me plenty fast numerous times.

Of course, I've never driven an IS with bigger brakes so I don't haver anything to compare it to.

·
Registered
937 Posts
lexluger180 said:
i thought they stopped making the l tuned edition?
They did; however, the sways, springs, exhaust and wheels are still available. 8)

As for the L-Tuned body kits, it might be possible to find a few assorted parts floating around but expect to pay top dollar for them.

·
8,880 Posts

nilvedogis said:
I have no sympathy for people weak in physics.

35MPH~50Ft/Sec

So, if the car jumps out 50Ft in front of you, you have about 1 sec before you hit it. The average reaction time is 1/3 sec, so that leaves you with 2/3 sec and 33 Ft to go from 35MPH to 0.

Let's say IS goes from 60 to 0 in 100 Ft (unrealistic) and assume the deceleration rate is the same, which leaves us with 1.66 Ft/MPH.
Multiply that by 35 and we end up with 60 Ft to stop from 35MPH.
(In case anyone noticed, that is not the correct way to calculate. I simplified it, not feeling doing quadratics).

What kind of brakes do you really think we have?

P.S.
What was your physics grade?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts