Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well everyone seems to be telling me to lower my car next but i have a few concerns. Let me tell you my scenario first i am driving an 01 lexus is300 with 53k miles with the stock suspension. Still with the stock 17" 5 spoke rims. Not any major body kits installed just a TRD front lip. I do not want to use coil overs mainly because its too expensive and i dont see myself spending $1500 just to lower my car, i dunno why i just dont think it should be that much w/e.

So now here are my "conditions" i would like you guys to give me the best lowering springs that would drop me just enough to be able to fit 18" (225/40/18) non staggered axis Hiros or 19" (front 225/35/19) (rear 255/30/19) staggered axis hiros. Reason being is i don't know which to go for yet and of course the more expensive the more its gonna have to wait. One last thing i am a little worried is if i where to lower my car than how much of a difference compared to the stock suspension would there be? would it be VERY noticeable? or would it be the same or better? i don't want a bouncy ride.

That been said, i want to know if buying lowering springs is the only thing i need to lower my car...if not please tell me what else is needed to have in order to lower the car properly.

While doing some online searching i have found this lowering spring that seems to be perfect they are TEIN High.Tech springs. in the site it states it lowers cars around 1.2" inches and it seems its made to maintain comfort. And the TEIN S Techs which lower the car around 1.5", Has anyone used this springs and could tell me their experiences with them and if they are good or not?

One last request lol sorry for the long STORY but i just wanted to get all of this concerns away and lower my car with no worries. Could anyone tell me what size are those Axis hiros on this guys car i dont know his screen name so ill give it a shot here lol

·
Registered
916 Posts
For just springs I'd say H&R springs, but most people are going to say get good shocks too so it rides nice and doesn't blow your stock shocks out...I LOVE my ride quality and height with Koni Yellow Shocks/Eibach Pro Kit Springs. A ton of people have this setup and have nothing but good things to say about it. That car above looks just a bit lower than the Koni/Eibach setup...probably coilovers(?) but if you like the height I think Koni/H&R would be that low.

BTW -- THe Koni/Eibach setup is typically 750-800 everything brand new

·
Registered
834 Posts
thats inspar8r's car.. and he has 19x8.5 in the front and i believe 19x9.5 in the back... correct me if im wrong..

·
1,621 Posts
^^^^Yup correct!!

But they are actually 19x8.5 all around. And he is on coilovers.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^^Yup correct!!

But they are actually 19x8.5 all around. And he is on coilovers.
yeah i thought they where not staggered, the rears dont go in alittle like it should but i was confused if it was 18" or 19" interesting. How low would it be enough to make the car match perfect with this rims if they where 18" or 19"?
1" drop ? or like 1.5"? what you guys think? if im lowering my car with springs i want to get it right so i dont have to mess around the suspension again after buying the rims.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
not trying to go off topic
but i saw the sieskirts in that picture up there on a diff car and wana figure out what they are?

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
with springs, it's better to play it safe and go ahead and get aftermarket shocks as well. they will eventually bust if you don't.

i have h&r springs with tokico illuminas and it is great. you will want to get an adjustable shock so that you can specify it for your desired ride quality (softer<<>>stiffer). i am on stock 17's, but there is definitely room to fit 18's.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i have H&R's with Illuminas also and have no problems with 18's. Even with the 18's, I still have a small gap in the fenderwells. 19's would probably fit w/out any problems too

H&R's are about a 2" drop

·
Registered
241 Posts
i just did mine on tanabe df210's and the ride seems alot like stock i actualy had to get into it on a corner befor i noticed a big differance. its not bouncy at all. i like it. ive used tanabe on most of my cars and realy cant complane about them at all they deliver what they say they will.
but i think you would be happy with the tein's of one of the tanabe 210 series and probly the eibach's too.

·
1,621 Posts
Mike,
I know you're riding on Axis Hiros 19x8.5 & 19x9.5. With 235 F & 265 R. What are you dropped on? How much front & rear.
Hey Steve!
At the moment I have the pro-kit installed so the drop is just over an inch all around. This weekend I will be installing the Koni Yellow shocks on the upper perch setting so that should take me to about 1 1/4" inch drop.

·
Registered
450 Posts
like others have said you should look into getting a good shock and spring combo or a full coilover, not just springs. installing only springs will probably result in a bouncier ride. saving up and getting coilovers is worth the money IMO, because it allows you to adjust how high or low you want the car, and most cases you can also adjust dampening

1 - 15 of 15 Posts