Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been planning on buying a 7th gen celica gts 6 speed but today at the car auction i saw a 2002 is300, it was so sick, had 34k mi. on it, beautiful blue color. but it went for like $21000 which i cant afford. what should i know when trying ot get one? i want a manual. also are there different models? whats the difference between the years? the rims on the one i saw were sooo nice they were 5 or 6 spoke 17's, do most of them come with those or just in 2002 or what? thanks for any info you can give me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The IS300 does not have different models like BMWs 3 series or Benz's C class. The rims you saw are 5 spoke 17's wrapped in 215/45 tires. The car hasn't gone through any major changes throught the years.

01' models are all automatics only. 02' has both manuals and autos, some changes off the top of my head are an armrest for driver which 01 didn't have and a lip spoiler. 03' Lexus offered a model called Sports Edition (I think), basically a special color, different interior treaments, 11 spoke 17' rims, smoke tail lights, a sporty looking exhaust. 04' so far I heard new colors and etc. Search around, you will find more specific information.

Personally I think the IS is a great car, great sporty 4 seater. The Celica I heard is a quicker car but if you think you're gonna mod the hell out of this car (like boost), the IS is the way to go. The IS is not terribly fast however but it's awesome to drive.

·
Registered
385 Posts
01 would be cheaper but only 02 & up have manual. There are no different models, only transmission choice. All 01 & 02 models have the same wheels, unless you find a IS w/ the standard 16” wheels (which is rare, since the 16” were only on cars w/ no options).

The IS300 is similar to the Celica GT-S in that they’re both aggressively styled, reliable, & performance oriented (both have class-leading handling & braking). Where the IS300 distinguishes itself from the GT-S is in features, utility, refinement, & safety equipment.

Depending on the yr, the IS 5-sp & most model yrs’ GT-S are equal in acceleration.

·
8,849 Posts
celica1036 said:
didnt they make it in 2000 or no? also is the is basically the same as the toyota altezza?
Yes, it was the 2001 Model (Auto Only).
Yes, IS300 is the US version of Toyota Altezza.

I was also shopping for Celica GTS prior to buying my first IS. The RWD was the major decision factor.
Besides, 85% of Celicas I see on the road are women-drivven.

·
11,054 Posts
vlad_a said:
and...? :roll:

·
8,849 Posts
SeattleSheila said:
vlad_a said:
and...? :roll:
There is a reason why ins rates for female drivers are lower. :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what should i expect to pay for a 2002 is300 manual with under 50k on it? also did they all come with leather and a sunroof?

·
8,849 Posts
celica1036 said:
what should i expect to pay for a 2002 is300 manual with under 50k on it? also did they all come with leather and a sunroof?
Around 22K.
Most came with Leather/Ecsaine and moonroof.

Start your research @ e-bay motors. See what the IS300s sell for.

·
Registered
143 Posts
you can go to kbb.com, there you can find out what price to expect when purchasing from a dealer or private party. also you can add in options, mileage, condition of the car, etc.

·
Registered
935 Posts
is300wk said:
The IS300 does not have different models like BMWs 3 series or Benz's C class.
Huh? What about the Sport Cross??

·
Registered
824 Posts
vlad_a said:
celica1036 said:
Around 22K.
Most came with Leather/Ecsaine and moonroof.

Start your research @ e-bay motors. See what the IS300s sell for.
Doubt you will find an '02 for under $24k. Please correct me if I am wrong.

For clarity...the base trim is Leather/Escaine (which is a synthetic suede material) I actually recommend the leather/escaine over all leather...just my opinon though..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts