Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am looking to buy a 2nd gen IS350. I am a current owner of the 1st gen (02' stock automatic with LSD, 198k) and I have had the opportunity to get extra parts from the past 4 years I have owned the car. Like a full set of wheels, rear suspension cradle with LSD, extra auto trans... and a few other parts that are not important now.

My basic, simple, easy question before I pull the trigger and buy the 2nd gen and offer my 1st gen for sale is...
since I have the extra LSD for the 1st gen, will it fit in the 2nd gen?
Like a possible direct bolt in?
Or is there modifications/brackets needed?

The reason is because I want to have a good setup for winter (Chicago) since I drive my 1st gen all year with simple all season tires and rarely ever get stuck in snow. That's correct, no snow tires here... I just let the magic of my traction control do the work and it does it just fine.

SO... with that being said, Unless there is no need to change the original rear diff (even though I have heard it is not a LSD but a Semi-LSD... whatever that means??? I don't know...) on the 2nd gen because other members here have had excellent experience with their setup using regular all season tires and using the traction control computer to do the acceleration for them, and ending up having no problems in winter.

Please give me the good and the bad of my thought process. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
754 Posts
i highly doubt anyone will have info on this because it would involve someone taking an IS300 and an IS350 diff and comparing them side by side and taking actual measurements to verify the diff housings themselves are identical.

i can already tell you the housings are (atleast) different. very similar, but different. the pinion bushings on the 2IS look like they are stuck out farther. the 2IS diff cover plate has the drivers side bushing at a 90 degree different orientation than the 1IS diff. ALTHOUGH, if the spacing is the same between the two diff cover mounts, you could just take a drivers side diff cover mount and turn it 90 degrees. source (just for the pics):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2gen-is250-is350-is-f-classifieds-06-13/249918-is350-differential.html

just a heads up, the output flange on the diff is different than the 1IS diff. between this and the pinion mounts being off, id say this is more trouble than its worth (trying to swap the whole diff assembly over, housing included)

so, that just leaves the actual diff itself:
here is a thread with 2IS part numbers:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/868593-2is-is-350-open-diff-to-lsd-thread.html

you can try to cross reference the internal part numbers between generations. at this point though, id recommend selling your spare LSD and just buying the right thing for the car.

finally, lots of people have driven their IS in the snow. myself included.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Children! This will blow your mind.

Go to the lowermost bottom left corner of the webpage (scroll down until you cannot scroll down anymore). There's a tab there that (in your case) probably says Lexus IS Forum (Full) or Lexus Is Forum (Classic I). Select Lexus Is Forum (Classic II) and BOOM, mind blown.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Go to the lowermost bottom left corner of the webpage (scroll down until you cannot scroll down anymore). There's a tab there that (in your case) probably says Lexus IS Forum (Full) or Lexus Is Forum (Classic I). Select Lexus Is Forum (Classic II) and BOOM, mind blown.
Thanks for the tip Fractional! I like this view much better.

As for the OP's question, I would search on the Club Lexus forum. I know that the 2nd gen IS250 can take a 1st gen's diff, but I don't know if there's a difference between the IS250 and IS350's diff (it might be a bigger diff idk).

·
Mr. Roo
9,287 Posts
no clue who originally designed it, I'm not OG enough for that lol

yeah I've always used Classic I, but that's because that's what the site looked like way before the redid it with the new "default" to be more mobile friendly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts