Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know whos got the Hotckis sway bar kit. (front and rear) and if it does make a noticable difference. Is it worth it to pick it up? Does it help? pros and cons? and where in so cal is a good place to get it..thanks

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
OH you'll feel it the first time you take a corner. I actually own the TRD yellows, but I've felt the Hotchkis and they are even stiffer.

Hotchis pros are they are adjustable, best "performance" based on numbers/stiffness... cheaper because they are a newer company, and they have holes to reoil the bushing with a grease gun.

Cons are I have heard of some problems with people that can't get the bolts to stay tight.

They're wicked man. One of the single best handling improvements you could do to you car. And easy to install. Installation in an hour or less with proper access to the bottom of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Everyone is gonna jump and say they are great.... I say they are way too stiff.

A51 or the Cusco sways would be a better choice, I would say, if you plan on NOT getting stiff shocks springs/coilovers (HAs at least). If you plan on really building your suspension and feel the real potential of the IS300, I would go with the eibach sways.

In reality though, the best set up would be stock sways, or maybe even no sways and 20/22k springs up front and 17/18k in the back with nice ajustable shocks.

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
danielm said:

A51 or the Cusco sways would be a better choice, I would say, if you plan on NOT getting stiff shocks springs/coilovers (HAs at least). If you plan on really building your suspension and feel the real potential of the IS300, I would go with the eibach sways.

In reality though, the best set up would be stock sways, or maybe even no sways and 20/22k springs up front and 17/18k in the back with nice ajustable shocks.
are you on crack, 20/22k up front and 17/18 in the back and no sways?

number one, it is a STREET CAR, if you want to feel you ass when you get out that is a terrible idea. my car runs 7 and 5 k and is a stiff ride. if you want decent handling with a good ride qualituy then yes you want to go with big thick swasy, they will act to reduce roll and keep 4 tires plantedon the ground while still offering the suspension travel over a bump.

people will go with softer ones for autocross when they have stiffere suspension becuase they want the car to roll out a little more on to the outsiede tire as it helps to turn in quicker.

a really stiff streeett coilover runs 16 front and 14 in the rear, i have no idea where you get 22 front and 18 rear, thats absurd. if you want to make a race car thats great, but thats not what he wants.

there are 8 million ways to set up suspension in any given car, but hotchkis sways are an incredible improvement over stock, highspeed corners, the car is much more stable, the front end is more responsive, better overal handling characteristics with little or no decrease in ride quality.

if you look around, do a search and stuff, the hotchkis sways turned out better autocross times than stock, eibach and i think even a little better than the trd, its all about how it is setup fromnt to back, ratios mean mor than all out numbers

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
danielm said:

Dude, you're about to get flamed. Put your flame suit on... :pissed: :pissed:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just want to reduce body roll and improve cornering. The ass gives out at the canyons and i want to improve that. I would say $300 is a good deal suprastore has for the front/rear sways for hotchkis..

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
the hotchkis sways are by far the best bang for buck suspension mod out there, gives you tunability, impressive increase in road holding adn still offers a good ride.

·
Registered
202 Posts
ive heard a lot of different things (both good and bad) about the suprastore. i think ure better off getting em from www.titanmotorsports.com. its the same price and they have good customer service (from my experience and i bought a lot from them for my supra and is300). btw hotchkis is the way to go... good improvement and it's amazing with some plp braces.
~Av

·
Registered
400 Posts
eibachs...tested and true...not too stiff...and not too soft...perfect for everyday driving... :D

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
wouldn't such a thick sway cause more camber problems....?

also........not the feel....but the actual handling difference? (g-pad results anyone?)

i'm in the market to get some anti-sways soon....very soon

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
ali1983khan said:
wouldn't such a thick sway cause more camber problems....?

also........not the feel....but the actual handling difference? (g-pad results anyone?)

i'm in the market to get some anti-sways soon....very soon
- no camber problems. the clever design of the endlinks is such that it doesn't matter.

- i am working on a skid pad of my car, going off car and drivers standard for a stock, it was pretty bad. granted i have a good bit of other mods, but i am curious, i was talking to a friend of mine about it earlier today actually :) but i can tell you on the "oh shit"-pad it ranks pretty high :D

TRD's are good, daizen are out there but they are around $600 these are the stiffest i believe. hotchis with tunability is money, that other guytried the millen, or stillen, one of the "illens" they looked cool was it a 3 way adjustable rear, but solid front.

hotchkis adjustabel technicahlly gives you 4 points to adjust to in the sways alone, thats pretty good, especially for 300$. as for bolts not staying, install them right and there won't be problems, take head to waht people say to fix teh problems and do it the first time.

maintanance the hotchkis owns ALL. all sway bars have been noted to squeek sometime. the hotchkis has a grease gun nipple in the bbracket and buushing to make everyones life a little easier. A+ to them.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
i wanted a not-as-thick anti-sway....not as thick as hotchkis

maybe tanabe, l-tuned, eibach, something more subtle.....

but i know the hotchkis where developed using a USDM IS300...not a altezza.....and that makes me want to buy the hotchkis......

i could probably sell the hotchkis later....

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
PhatIBP said:
so everyone recommends the hotchkis? i dont want to buy something and be dissappointed...how much do shops charge to install them? and any pre-cautions before i install?
Shops should charge next to nothing to install them. You could put them on if you have a jack. It's just 6 small bolts on each, you can do them with a ratchet set. Maybe get a couple of friends to help you out and you can tackle it. If you can change a tire, you can put on your sway bars. Seriously. You can do it. And I'm not a wrench-head myself either.

You won't be disappointed. For $300 you will pee your pants the first time you take a corner and go "woaaaa". Precaution would be just to lube them up good. Some have mentioned getting some teflon tape to wrap the bar near the bushing and it helps stop creeking noises under big bumps, but the tape is not necessary. It's just pipe thread tape essentially. You can get it anywhere.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was talking to one of my friends and he said leave the rear one stock. its better to have the rear stock. i dont know he said its not an upgrade, i think hes on crack..14 to 19mm should help..

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
somguy2u said:
danielm said:

are you on crack, 20/22k up front and 17/18 in the back and no sways?

number one, it is a STREET CAR, if you want to feel you ass when you get out that is a terrible idea. my car runs 7 and 5 k and is a stiff ride. if you want decent handling with a good ride qualituy then yes you want to go with big thick swasy, they will act to reduce roll and keep 4 tires plantedon the ground while still offering the suspension travel over a bump.

people will go with softer ones for autocross when they have stiffere suspension becuase they want the car to roll out a little more on to the outsiede tire as it helps to turn in quicker.

a really stiff streeett coilover runs 16 front and 14 in the rear, i have no idea where you get 22 front and 18 rear, thats absurd. if you want to make a race car thats great, but thats not what he wants.

there are 8 million ways to set up suspension in any given car, but hotchkis sways are an incredible improvement over stock, highspeed corners, the car is much more stable, the front end is more responsive, better overal handling characteristics with little or no decrease in ride quality.

if you look around, do a search and stuff, the hotchkis sways turned out better autocross times than stock, eibach and i think even a little better than the trd, its all about how it is setup fromnt to back, ratios mean mor than all out numbers
:lol: :lol: Like I said people jump on the bandwaggon and then argue without driving or being in a car with the set up I listed.

I am on Tein RAs which have 18k up front and 16k in the back with Eibach sways, almost a perfect set up, but I wish they came with 20k up front and 17 or 18 in the back, then I would go back to stock sway bars... or most likly get rid of the rear sway and just keep the front one.

Thinking that the car is going to be horrable with such high spring rates, is a myth and you most likly read it, instead of experiencing it for your self. I used to have the Tein HAs which is a great coilover but no where hear enough for the weight that the IS has. With the RAs the car is extreamly smooth.

The IS has a great independent suspension, why fuck it up with a thick ass sway bar?? :shame:

And yes, if you are only going to put sway bars on the car and nothing else, like I said a set of sway bars is the cheap way to go, but a well tuned car with thin, or no sway bars will do laps around it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.