Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am now in the market for an IS250 manual transmission. Since I've been searching for over half a year for a clean unmolested stock IS300, I've been unsuccessful in finding one. They're either beaten to death, riced to hell, high crazy asking price, or too clean for me to buy it (I plan on dailying the car, I don't want to ruin a good one). On the other hand, there are an abundance amount of IS250 manuals in the market, clean stock unmolested examples, all while their prices are much lower than its first gen predecessor.

I've done a fair amount of research on the 2nd gen IS250, but not enough to present myself as an expert. So I need your help.

Talk me out of buying one or talk me into buying one. Should I pull the trigger and buy one? I've read that the manual transmission is based off the Tacoma, so the shifts and the transmission isn't smooth. This is caused by the flywheel design and clutch (correct me if I'm wrong). However, I also read that this can be resolved using a Fidanza flywheel and an aftermarket clutch. Is this true? If not, what are your recommendations?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi guys, I am now in the market for an IS250 manual transmission. Since I've been searching for over half a year for a clean unmolested stock IS300, I've been unsuccessful in finding one. They're either beaten to death, riced to hell, high crazy asking price, or too clean for me to buy it (I plan on dailying the car, I don't want to ruin a good one). On the other hand, there are an abundance amount of IS250 manuals in the market, clean stock unmolested examples, all while their prices are much lower than its first gen predecessor.

I've done a fair amount of research on the 2nd gen IS250, but not enough to present myself as an expert. So I need your help.

Talk me out of buying one or talk me into buying one. Should I pull the trigger and buy one? I've read that the manual transmission is based off the Tacoma, so the shifts and the transmission isn't smooth. This is caused by the flywheel design and clutch (correct me if I'm wrong). However, I also read that this can be resolved using a Fidanza flywheel and an aftermarket clutch. Is this true? If not, what are your recommendations?
Like the IS300 manual, I believe the IS250 has a clutch dampener - I would remove that for better clutch pedal feel and modulation. I wouldn't buy a Fidanza flywheel if it's going to be a daily driver. My 12lb flywheel on my IS300 makes noticeable noise if you're too low in the revs (lower than 2500rpm in 2nd and higher). It didn't do that with the stock dampened flywheel. I would search on here and Club Lexus for Jeff Lange's IS350 MT build where he swapped in another heavier flywheel (might have been custom idk). IIRC, it was around 20lbs.

·
Registered
754 Posts
high crazy asking price, or too clean for me to buy it (I plan on dailying the car, I don't want to ruin a good one).
alright. ive been quiet for long enough about this, but you honestly make zero sense the more you post. you claim to have enough money to buy any stock un molested manual is300, but have searched for over a year? if you have searched the whole nation, i guarantee you that you would have found a car by now to trailer to you. or since you have so much money, you can just fly to the car. we have even given you examples of cars actively for sale.

now you specifically dont want one that is 'too clean' because you dont want to 'ruin a good one'? but you originally bitched about how you couldnt find a clean, un modded one? well, which one is it? the more you post about finding a car for you, im honestly starting to think you just want attention.

im all for helping people, but youre just wasting everyone's god damn time now. buy a car or dont, talk yourself into one or dont. this isnt that hard.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like the IS300 manual, I believe the IS250 has a clutch dampener - I would remove that for better clutch pedal feel and modulation. I wouldn't buy a Fidanza flywheel if it's going to be a daily driver. My 12lb flywheel on my IS300 makes noticeable noise if you're too low in the revs (lower than 2500rpm in 2nd and higher). It didn't do that with the stock dampened flywheel. I would search on here and Club Lexus for Jeff Lange's IS350 MT build where he swapped in another heavier flywheel (might have been custom idk). IIRC, it was around 20lbs.
Thanks for the information, I've decided to skip the IS250 2nd gen and just went with the first gen IS300.

alright. ive been quiet for long enough about this, but you honestly make zero sense the more you post. you claim to have enough money to buy any stock un molested manual is300, but have searched for over a year? if you have searched the whole nation, i guarantee you that you would have found a car by now to trailer to you. or since you have so much money, you can just fly to the car. we have even given you examples of cars actively for sale.

now you specifically dont want one that is 'too clean' because you dont want to 'ruin a good one'? but you originally bitched about how you couldnt find a clean, un modded one? well, which one is it? the more you post about finding a car for you, im honestly starting to think you just want attention.

im all for helping people, but youre just wasting everyone's god damn time now. buy a car or dont, talk yourself into one or dont. this isnt that hard.
Are you mad that your car couldn't sell that you all of the sudden you release your anger at me on an old thread? Seriously bro. Go rage at someone else. I saw you were even desperate that you lowered the price on your car on every forum you posted. I've already found a car, I just didn't bother inquiring about it anymore, hence you didn't see me posting about it. GTFO here dude.

·
Registered
754 Posts
no, i could really care less. i just reached out to you to see if we could make a deal. which you rejected. oh well, that happens when you modify a car the way i have, its life, ive moved on and didnt loose any sleep over it. someone is coming to look at it tomorrow. :)

you're just wasting everyone's time at this point. i hope others see this.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, i could really care less. i just reached out to you to see if we could make a deal. which you rejected. oh well, that happens when you modify a car the way i have, its life, ive moved on and didnt loose any sleep over it. someone is coming to look at it tomorrow. :)

you're just wasting everyone's time at this point. i hope others see this.
Already have the car I wanted, I could really care less. Go pound sand.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can't we all just get along. Starting to look like a Nasioc thread! I say get the one your really want because if you don't you will always wish you did. It will be hard to find one if you don't want one that's too crappy or too nice. However something will pop up. I just stumbled on mine after looking for 2 minutes so I got lucky. Maybe that will happen to you at some point. Personally 2nd Gen's just blend into the sea of sedans so I favor the 1st but that's just me.

·
Registered
754 Posts
nismo, id prefer to call it 'constructive criticism'

b69,

again, good for you. im glad we will no longer have to see any threads with no meaning created by you.

i dont have any sand near me, but i did pound some loose dirt yesterday (didnt feel good). with that being said, post your car! youve teased us long enough :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts