Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I currently drive a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP... 3.8 V6 S/C with bolt-on mods and stage II trans...

However, I am now looking into selling the GTP and possibly getting an IS300...

One good reason is the RWD(as well as the luxury factor of course), I enjoy going fast(at the track) and modding, etc... i'm a sucker for the mod bug...

Here's the thing, my GTP as-is is in the Mid-High 13 Second 1/4 Mi. ET... I have been reading up on these forums all about IS300's.. and from what i have seen and read, it seems that if I would like to get an IS running around the same, or faster time's it's going to need to have forced induction(from what i've seen preferably turbo over S/C)... as well as a lot of supporting mods of course...

Here's the thing, i'm looking to spend between 15-20K if possible, and from what i've read I'd like to get an '02 or newer.... However, it seems if I were to buy a stock IS and do the mod's myself it's going to cost ~10K to turbo the car and get it to where I would like it(low 13 1/4 mi, and still be a daily driver[if possible])....

If any of the above information is incorrect, please feel free to correct me, this is all going by what I have gathered from browsing the forums...

So first question is, would this be possible? A 13 Second, turbo'ed daily driver IS 300?

Next is, would this be possible for the price range of $15-20K? (and yes if I need too I am considering getting an auto loan and purchasing a car off the forums already modded, would like to make sure it's modded correctly of course)...

If I think of any more questions i'll post them, but that's all I can think of right now...

oh and Auto Transmission or MT doesn't make too much of a difference, but since it is a Daily driver on the Crowded streets of NJ, i'd prefer an auto is possible...

Thank you....

·
Registered
817 Posts
your Pontiac will never come close to the handling of the IS. and yes is possible. but if you are going to spend that much to make the IS your pontiac you should be shopping for something else.

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
Seems like you've done your research, pretty much all you've said is true. It's definitely possible to have a turbo daily driver (I don't know what WHP you'd need to run 13s). With the budget you're talking about I think you'd have more luck buying a used turbo IS300 than buying a N/A and adding a turbo.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
To add speed to IS300 it will cost you, probably not as much initially, but when you factor in all the other things that would need to be upgraded you would be right at $10K. Than the cost-benefit analysis should kick in, asking yourself if it's worth spending $19K on an IS300 and then modding it which would result in another $10K lets say for total of $30K. Yes you would have a sweet/quick ride, but with as much money as you put out you could have something from factory that's boosted and would require far less work to it in terms of bring it up to par on speed. Perhaps getting a Boosted IS300 for a decent price might be a better thing, but that you would have many more unknowns as far as the history of the car and how it was driven.

I personally wouldn't spend $28-30K for the car and boost, but that's just me. At that point I would be looking at used E46 M3, rather than having to mod the IS300.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Like the others have said, get one off of the forums that's already modded.

I saved over $15-17K that way.

I daily mine also.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Ya search for a used boosted one. Wont be as fun since you wont to do any of the work, but you will save a lot of money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts