Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newb here and Like the title says, im looking to buy an is300 between 03 thru 05. I turn 21 next month and i want to buy myself a nice birthday/christmas present within the next 3 to 4 months. I was looking into either an Acura TL or the IS300 but I have always wanted a Lexus for a long time but have not had the money to buy one. Now i'm determined to get a second job if i have to. The way i see it, I can do about $900-$1000 in car payment and insurance. So anybody from the Houston, TX area recommend a dealership to go?
Oh, and the reason for waiting a couple of months is that its been my experience that it is easier to negotiate a price with dealerships once they see that you have a nice downpayment. Anybody think this is true?
Also would likek to know if anybody have had any problems with their new is300.
Thanks in n advanced

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
Good luck finding a new IS300 they don't make them anymore. :)

If you're going to buy used there are other places to buy other than the dealership. (see for sale forum, ebay etc.) Doesn't matter where you get it from as long as it's still under factory warranty IMO.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Good luck car shopping for the IS300. :)

Welcome aboard and enjoy surfing the site. :cool:

·
Premium Member
26,324 Posts
i wouldn't buy from a dealership unless you want a cpo. otherwise you'll get a better deal privately.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I don't necessarily think that the size of the downpayment has much to do with the ending negotiated price of the car. You don't really need to tell them how much you want to down. Even if you do, you can just tell them $10K and start negotiating. Once you agree at an amount, you can down more or less if you want. Doesn't really matter. The only possible affect your down payment may have is to show the salesman whether you can reasonably and justifiably afford...in which case you may get yourself more respect in speaking with the salesmen.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Don't tell them anything about how much you are putting down. You should always just negotiate the price of the car first. To be honest with you, they love for you to finance a lot of it through any bank they are partnered with. They get their money anyway, whether you finance or put some down, and with financing they make interest. I honestly don't think it makes a difference in the negotiations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, thanks for the input, (i honestly didnt thought i would get as much feedback this soon :cool: ) So what would be a better idea, give a large downpayment or give a decent downpayment and save the rest for the monthly payments.
Also, I have not had any insurance since I've been driving at 15. (the vehicles have been insured, but my name has never been on any policy.) Will the insurance be high being that its the first time im insured, even though i have a perfect record.(just a warning about 2 years ago.)

·
Registered
656 Posts
C_tIn said:
Cool, thanks for the input, (i honestly didnt thought i would get as much feedback this soon :cool: ) So what would be a better idea, give a large downpayment or give a decent downpayment and save the rest for the monthly payments.
Also, I have not had any insurance since I've been driving at 15. (the vehicles have been insured, but my name has never been on any policy.) Will the insurance be high being that its the first time im insured, even though i have a perfect record.(just a warning about 2 years ago.)
In the long run, the larger downpayment is going to end up costing you less over the course of the loan, as well as lower your monthly payments. But, I wouldn't spend your entire life savings on the downpayment if you don't have any other assets. Save some for an emergency. So, if you have the money for the downpayment, put as much down as you can so you have as much equity in the car as possible, lower monthly payments, and a lower overall cost to finance the car. Like I said, though, don't "flash" your downpayment to the dealer before you negotiate price. Lexus dealers have people who pay cash for the full amount of the car, so to be honest $10k down probably won't impress them that much, and like I said yesterday, they like people to finance through their bank to make money off interest, so they don't really care if you are a cash buyer or not. Maybe a car salesman on the forum could confirm or deny my claim.

The insurance is very high for some people, especially since you are young. I personally only pay $846 every six months for full coverage and a $500 deductible, but I am 29, married, have a perfect driving record, and have another car on my policy. There are people paying literally thousands every six months. Definitely contact your insurance co. before you buy to make sure you can make the payments. Good luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i just recently bought an is300, should get it this friday!

Just to let you know, every euro dealer in my area had a 5 speed sports edition with 10-30,000 miles for $25 - $29k for a lexus certified. I test drove 3 diffrent 5 speed sport editions w/ LSD's at 3 diffrent dealers in my area. So it was pretty easy for me finding a "rare" model, although there askign a premiun price for it.

There are also about 5 new 05's sitting on the lot of my lexus dealer....

I ended up buying one from a private party, 35k miles for $20k, e-shift.

So my advice to you is to look around, go to every dealer before you decide on a car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hey ive just acquired a stock blue is300 2001 68k fully loaded except for lsd, 23545r17 for the rear hit me up if your interested

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pswnam said:
hey ive just acquired a stock blue is300 2001 68k fully loaded except for lsd, 23545r17 for the rear hit me up if your interested
Thanks for the offer, but right now, i am looking for a newer model and have two colors in mind. But either pm me or just reply here the price and location, I won't rule out any option just yet. :)

I cant remember where or the exact details, but I read that the newer models dont come with LSD? or probably thinking of another car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
personally if i were you, id take a look at the new is250 or is350. check em out tho. if your lookin for an is300...look at both private parties and dealerships. id recommend sewell lexus in dallas...on lemmon ave. i dont know their number. i know lexus of clear lakes in houston...their number is (281) 853-1400...located on the gulf freeway. heard it from a friend of mine. check em out....try and find a 5 speed...i regret not gettin one. good luck man.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd probably be more inclined to get the is250 rather than the is350 especially if the price is somewhat close as to the guesses that are flying in this forum. BUt still, more interested on a is300,But, i guess until i see a couple on the road, probably my perception may change.
So far, I have had nice input from all the members, thank you, the thing that gets tossed around the most is to look around first and thats what i shall keep doing.
mucch thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts