Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as much as i like the stock 17s on my is300...i no plan on getting 16s with all-season tires. living in nj and doing a lot of driving in harsh nj and ny roads...the wheels/tires are taking a pounding.

i'm aware that 16s with all-seasons won't handle as well and not look as good...but i got to do what i got to do.

tires i'm considering:
bridgestone turanza ls
bridgestone potenza re950
michelin pilot sport a/s
yokohama avid

i'm having a more difficult time picking wheels. i've looked at tirerack and have no idea what's good and bad. i would like something that looks similar to the stock lexus is300 wheels. i really like the look of them.

i don't want to spend no more than 1000. between 800-1000 would be ideal. although if i go with the pilots...i would think budget would be shot.

suggestions or thoughts?

·
Registered
793 Posts
SSR GT1s are good (I have them in 17s for summer tires, stock 17s for winter) as are OZ superleggeras, though I don't know if they come in 16s. You clould check the member sale area for someone selling stock 16s. You would be better off getting a second set of 17s with 205/50/17 snow tires. The narrower tread will cut through the snow a bit better.

To preserve the tires and wheels, I run about 3 psi higer than stock. This reduces the chance of damage when hitting pot holes, even if it does stiffen up the ride a bit.

A lot of people here have 18s, but I read in a car magazine a while back where they tested a stock, plus 1, plus 2 and plus 3 set-up. The 17s performed best. When you get to short sidewalls like 40 series or less, the alignment/camber profile through the suspension range of travel becomes super critical. 17s offer the best compromise of looks, handling, ride, and price in my opinion.

It will be time for the snows again all too soon :cry:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
currently i have the stock 17s. 215/45-17. do i have to use this size?

i'm asking because there's just not much rubber and the low profile tires are just tough to maintain in nj/ny roads. wanted something that would prevent bent wheels and flat tires.

i went to test drive the acura tl...just for fun. and the tires were bridgeston turanzas at 235/45-17. but they seem to be less low profile than the is300 tires.

if i can't get bigger tires for the 17s...i'll most likely go with 16s. since they are 205/55-16. won't handle as good as 17s...but it should be more comfortable and better on the crappy roads.

opinions?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'n not aware of any real negatives to 225s on stick rims. If you lower, you will get a little closer to rubbing, but i don't think anybody has actually had an issue with that. Your speedometer will be off a bit, but I think only about 1mph at 60. The 225s also have a higher load rating than 215s. 205/50/17 has a higher load rating than stock as well. That plus the slightly narrower width is why I think it's a good size for snows while using 225/45/17s for summer tires.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
brandon - which sport edition wheels were you referring to? i want to get something that is similar to the stock 17s in terms of looks. i really like the style of the stock is300 wheels. not fond of the stock 16s.

how much would i be looking at for wheels and tires?

how are the potenza 950s that you listed? i haven't read much about them on this forum.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
brandon - one other question. some have recommended that i go with 225/45-17. would i be able to get something higher than 45 so the tire isn't as low profile?

per my needs, is this better or should i go with the 16s?

basically...i'm looking more for a comfortable ride that will be driveable in rain and snow. i'm worried of bent rims with the low profile tires from the stock wheels. roads here in nj/ny are crappy...filled with gigantic potholes.

thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
another newbie q.

are there any wheels i can get that will fit the lexus "l" emblem cap? or is that not possible?

basically...whatever wheels i get...i want them to have the lexus caps. or would i have to keep the brand name of the wheels?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.