Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am fairly new to this forum as well as IS300 ownership. I have a 2005 and I am in need of better brakes. I am looking to get Calipers, Rotors, Pads, and new brake lines. I'd prefer something very durable that is more geared towards performance. If you know of any really great options please let me know. Thanks! (One last thing, I do not want a BBK, or something that won't easily fit onto my car because it is made for an LS400 or something like that. Thanks)

·
3,361 Posts
Hello everyone! I am fairly new to this forum as well as IS300 ownership. I have a 2005 and I am in need of better brakes. I am looking to get Calipers, Rotors, Pads, and new brake lines. I'd prefer something very durable that is more geared towards performance. If you know of any really great options please let me know. Thanks! (One last thing, I do not want a BBK, or something that won't easily fit onto my car because it is made for an LS400 or something like that. Thanks)
Do you mean no adapers, Or stock wheels, Or just no LS400 stuff. Or even full aftermarket. You need to be more specific. There are tons of options.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Slotted rotors will Ensure clean contact between pads and rotor. drilled rotors haven’t done much for performance since asbestos Was used in pad, Being The ceramic pads we use these days don’t have an abundance of gases that need to be vented drilled rotors don’t do much other than aesthetics they look pretty cool though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you mean no adapers, Or stock wheels, Or just no LS400 stuff. Or even full aftermarket. You need to be more specific. There are tons of options.
I guess my question is, are there any direct fitment pads, rotors, and calipers that I could get that are made specifically for the IS300. I do not know where to look and what brands and materials are the best.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I had Znolli pads on the front of mine for a while, were heaps better than OEM but dusted up the rims terribly. Ive got a ceramic pad on at the moment, better than OEM but not as good as the Znollis for stopping power, but hardly any dust.

Just depends on what you want to achieve and what your budget is.

·
3,361 Posts
I guess my question is, are there any direct fitment pads, rotors, and calipers that I could get that are made specifically for the IS300. I do not know where to look and what brands and materials are the best.
That is a bit tricky. Pads are only as good as the driving style and use. You can only determent what you want. All pads listed for the IS300 will fit. Same with rotors.

As far as upgrade from stock. That is a matter of how much you want. If you want OEM style fit with stock 17 inch wheels. I would do the RaceBrakes caliper bracket with the Supra rotor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want to piggyback off this because I'm basically looking for the same thing as OP. To keep it short; I want, at least for now, a front caliper upgrade because I'm currently on my 2nd OEM front caliper seizure (not the same side). I'm looking for something that gives better performance then OEM but I need it to still fit the stock wheels.

·
3,361 Posts
I want to piggyback off this because I'm basically looking for the same thing as OP. To keep it short; I want, at least for now, a front caliper upgrade because I'm currently on my 2nd OEM front caliper seizure (not the same side). I'm looking for something that gives better performance then OEM but I need it to still fit the stock wheels.
Any upgraded calipers would at minimum need spacers on the stock wheels.

As for your issue on the setup you have now. When doing brakes. Did you put new pins and grease? That is the biggest failure point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any upgraded calipers would at minimum need spacers on the stock wheels.

As for your issue on the setup you have now. When doing brakes. Did you put new pins and grease? That is the biggest failure point.
Shoot, so I guess I'll just get some basic replacements for now and in the future do the upgrade when I can afford everything. With that said, you have any recommendations?

I didn't do the job myself. The first seizure I took it to a mechanic and I got the Centric remanufactured caliper (PN 141.44208) for it, so I assume it was new pins and grease?

·
Registered
987 Posts
The OEM calipers are 2 piston so not a bad setup compared to most of the same vintage, ive never had any issues with them as they are with a decent set of pads, though i dont track it so...

Chances are though if one side has issues and needed replacing then the other side is going to be in a similar boat. The slide pins do cause issues some times, especially when no one greases them when doing a pad change, or i would imagine if they are caked in snow and ice part of the year or extreme heat melting the grease out, or even in a dusty environment where they are going to get caked in crud. One side of mine was seized up when i got it, managed to get it free and polish and grease it and its been fine ever since. My last Altezza wasn't so lucky, had to source a second hand caliper to swap over.

·
3,361 Posts
Shoot, so I guess I'll just get some basic replacements for now and in the future do the upgrade when I can afford everything. With that said, you have any recommendations?

I didn't do the job myself. The first seizure I took it to a mechanic and I got the Centric remanufactured caliper (PN 141.44208) for it, so I assume it was new pins and grease?
You can upgrade to the turbo Supra rotor with the factory IS300 caliper. Using the RB bracket. I have done it several times. It works fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I actually took the car in to a mechanic to confirm what it was, and it wasn't the brakes at all. Both of my front lower control arms and my right-side ball joint are shot. So instead of brake upgrades, I'm now looking for control arm upgrades ?

·
3,361 Posts
So I actually took the car in to a mechanic to confirm what it was, and it wasn't the brakes at all. Both of my front lower control arms and my right-side ball joint are shot. So instead of brake upgrades, I'm now looking for control arm upgrades ?
If it was kind of a grown. When hitting the brakes. It is the lower ball joints.

·
Registered
987 Posts
yep that would do it. Maybe the extra braking force you are applying . . . :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts