Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right so I've been searching the internet for the past 30 minutes and have been sort of confused about something. Is PLP the only company that makes a big brake kit that changes out all 4 brakes? I can't seem to find anything other than those that offer them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
You mean 4 wheel Big Brake Kit??

Stoptech sells them...Rotora sells them...Endless sells them.

There might be others...just those come to mind.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Most front BBK are 4-pistons, and using another 4-pistons for the rears will shift the brake balance too much to the rears ... which is not good.

Since most BBK vendors only do 4- or more piston calipers, you need to go up to a least a 6-piston with huge rotors, before you can start thinking upgrading your rears with a 4-piston.

From marketing point of view, a 4 wheel BBK with front 4pot and rear 2pot won't sell good (even though this 2pot will likely be more efficient).

Note that a good 2-pot rear setup may cost as much as a 4pot front setup!!!

BTW ... the PLP 4pot/4pot is an Stoptech setup, and is less efficient than a 4pot front only Stoptech BBK.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hk300 said:
Most front BBK are 4-pistons, and using another 4-pistons for the rears will shift the brake balance too much to the rears ... which is not good.

Since most BBK vendors only do 4- or more piston calipers, you need to go up to a least a 6-piston with huge rotors, before you can start thinking upgrading your rears with a 4-piston.

From marketing point of view, a 4 wheel BBK with front 4pot and rear 2pot won't sell good (even though this 2pot will likely be more efficient).

BTW ... the PLP 4pot/4pot is an Stoptech setup, and is less efficient than a 4pot front only Stoptech BBK.
This is true, BUT (I'm not sure about the other Big Brake Kits) Rotora, makes sure the brake bias is balanced even with the 4-piston front and rear brake setup. If you don't believe call them yourselves. I have the 4 piston front and rear setup for the 03 is300. Stock rims also clear the 4 piston calipers.

Rotora also uses the 4 piston front and rear setup for thier drift car 240sx

·
Registered
231 Posts
nlarosa said:
This is true, BUT (I'm not sure about the other Big Brake Kits) Rotora, makes sure the brake bias is balanced even with the 4-piston front and rear brake setup. If you don't believe call them yourselves. I have the 4 piston front and rear setup for the 03 is300. Stock rims also clear the 4 piston calipers.

Rotora also uses the 4 piston front and rear setup for thier drift car 240sx
HEY! ... you are saying it yourself, for their DRIFT car ... for drifting you need REAR biased brakes ...;)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have the Rotora 6piston in the front and 4 in the rear. The car definitely is more balanced. Just having the front 4 piston is nice but if you get on them hard you definitely will feel a little nose dive.

At lexfest the team lexus drift car actually had two stock rear calipers on the rear.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hk300 said:
HEY! ... you are saying it yourself, for their DRIFT car ... for drifting you need REAR biased brakes ...;)

No you don't NEED REAR BIASED BRAKES! for drifting. Thats what the e-brake is for when you go into a drift and a clutch kick doesn't get you into a drift, then you E-brake to get the car to slide.

2nd you you gotta compare 4 piston to 4 piston not 6 piston to 4. Only because the bias on a 6 to 4 piston will be good, but you gotta compare someone who has 4 piston rear and 4 piston front.

Rotora's 4 piston front and 4 piston rear has the correct bias even though it's 4 piston all around because they tested and adjusted the calipers to work with each other. the Front still grabs harder in the front then the rears.....

Rotora
909-590-1712
Call them up.

·
Registered
910 Posts
hk300 said:

wtf...can i get this in Layman's terms? This is like a Rocket Scientist trying to tell a 5yr old how his bike works, i'm just not as familiar with these terms as most of you guys.

I have the same question about the 4 BBK and I thought i knew why, but this threw me for a loop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Orangetang21 said:
wtf...can i get this in Layman's terms? This is like a Rocket Scientist trying to tell a 5yr old how his bike works, i'm just not as familiar with these terms as most of you guys.

I have the same question about the 4 BBK and I thought i knew why, but this threw me for a loop.
Finally you admit that your a dumbass POSER who knows nothing about your car.

I bet you don't even know how to change your own oil (fuckin pantywaste)

·
Premium Member
11,375 Posts
YisSerL said:
You mean 4 wheel Big Brake Kit??

Stoptech sells them...Rotora sells them...Endless sells them.

There might be others...just those come to mind.

FYI, Endless doesn't make the rear BBK, only replacement rotors, pads, and brake lines.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Italian Lex- The question is what type of driving do you mostly do? For mostly street I would recomend a front bbk and replacement rotors in the rear with some sport pads, because racing pads need lots of heat in them to work properly. The rear rotors will give the car a uniform and cool look esp behind some fat rubber. Like the others say bais is very important but i don't know what year is you have my 03 is advertised to have Electronic brake force distribution, but I still notice my fronts are used harder, weight transfer. A full on 4 wheel bbk is cool but soo expensive and unless you drive in the triple digits all the time or brake like a grandma is pointless for the street. Brembo sells a sweet gt kit for around 2k and replacement rotors, stoptech also supplies the same but gives you the option of having two piece rotors in the rear. Good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
BCMPOWER said:
Italian Lex- The question is what type of driving do you mostly do? For mostly street I would recomend a front bbk and replacement rotors in the rear with some sport pads, because racing pads need lots of heat in them to work properly. The rear rotors will give the car a uniform and cool look esp behind some fat rubber. Like the others say bais is very important but i don't know what year is you have my 03 is advertised to have Electronic brake force distribution, but I still notice my fronts are used harder, weight transfer. A full on 4 wheel bbk is cool but soo expensive and unless you drive in the triple digits all the time or brake like a grandma is pointless for the street. Brembo sells a sweet gt kit for around 2k and replacement rotors, stoptech also supplies the same but gives you the option of having two piece rotors in the rear. Good luck

I don't think you can just change the fronts to bigger calipers because then the bias would be way off because the pressure it takes to use the brakes changes, depending on the caliper size.

So if you have just bigger front calipers then the factory setup basicly your fronts will brake without even utilizing the rear brakes! making your Braking worse!

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
direct from Stoptech(they pm'd me), the 4wheel BBK is of no greater performance than their 2wheel kit. It is for the look and for show. They don't say that it performs worse, just doesn't perform any better.

not going to go on a tirade(sp?), as everyone knows my stance on bbks. lol

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Its also about heat dissipation. Your not just getting more pad bite area you are also getting much larger calipers which aid in the dissipation of heat, the number one cause of brake fade. I have been roadcoursing boosted IS's for almost 4 years now. On my 2001 is300t, I was using stock brake system with steel lines and custom pads from carbotech..I got the G2 caliper paint on my calipers to melt off before I even started to notice fade. At that point I was also starting to boil my fluid..(switched to SRF all fixed) On my current car 2004 Boosted IS, I went with just the rotora front big brake kit and custom pads from carbotech (equivelent to pagid blacks) I recently found out that the pad size and shape for the rotora kit is known as the D810. Which is the same pad shape and size as the Ferrari F40, brembo brake. What does this mean? Well I can now just order pagid black pads for a F40 instead of custom order from carbotech. I havent gotten these thing hot enough yet to fade.. been to well over 170 and have done repeated threshold braking for exteded periods of time. The brakes are sufficient for the car. I am running the stock rear brakes. I have found that I dont have to worry about stopping, I have to worry about the guy behind me!

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I've had the Stoptech 355mm (14") crossed/drilled rotors front and rear with their 4piston caliper set up. Contrary to just linear 2 dimensional thinking, the brake system is balanced. The Stoptech 4 wheel system is engineered to have proper brake distribution obviously not by #s pistons in their calipers but the diameter of their pistons. So, eventhough the front and rear both are 4 pistons, the rear calipers pistons have smaller diameter pistons, and that's how they engineered the brake balance for front and rear. I now have a different brake set up, and by far the Stoptechs are much better solid (feel wise) brake system for OUR cars (for the brake systems that made for our cars). Ofcourse the brake kit I have now are only the fronts so I'll reserve my full comparison after the rear "twin caliper" system comes in for this brake system.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
nlarosa said:
No you don't NEED REAR BIASED BRAKES! for drifting. Thats what the e-brake is for when you go into a drift and a clutch kick doesn't get you into a drift, then you E-brake to get the car to slide..
That would be bias toward the rear.

Anyway, isman beat me to the explaination. :approve:

·
Registered
675 Posts
nlarosa said:
I don't think you can just change the fronts to bigger calipers because then the bias would be way off because the pressure it takes to use the brakes changes, depending on the caliper size.

So if you have just bigger front calipers then the factory setup basicly your fronts will brake without even utilizing the rear brakes! making your Braking worse!
Sorry for the belated reply busy in classes. Have you read my post? A front BBK let me spell it out Big Brake Kit means the rotors brake lines and calipers, i don't know where you buy yours but to me these are pretty common with BBK's. The reason why there are more front only kits is because rears are not needed for the street likealmostevery one in this post agrees on. And these will not screw up the bias because most reputable brands work with the stock master cylinder.

·
Registered
675 Posts
IS_Dude said:
direct from Stoptech(they pm'd me), the 4wheel BBK is of no greater performance than their 2wheel kit. It is for the look and for show. They don't say that it performs worse, just doesn't perform any better.

I agree, braking power is a function of how much friction you have , pads with the rotors and rotors with the tires. A powerful brake kit can only stop a car if the tires have enough grip to without locking. Weight transfer brings all the load to the front of the car where the most amount of friction can be applied. Notice BMW's M division all the M cars have one piston front calipers!!! Even the new 500 hp M5, why? Def not to save cost with a 80k car!! How much force the brakes can be applied to the road is dependent on one limiting factor the tires. BMW did however do this, large diameter vented and cross drilled rotors, and with the case of the M3 cls ceramic rotors. Just a thought.

·
Registered
231 Posts
BCMPOWER said:
Notice BMW's M division all the M cars have one piston front calipers!!! Even the new 500 hp M5, why? Def not to save cost with a 80k car!! How much force the brakes can be applied to the road is dependent on one limiting factor the tires. BMW did however do this, large diameter vented and cross drilled rotors, and with the case of the M3 cls ceramic rotors. Just a thought.
:lol: The M5 ones are 2-pot calipers. but you are right, the no of pistons is not the only factor determining the stopping power.

BTW ... the Honda NSX has 1-piston calipers as stock.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts