Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I finally washed my car, thought I would share some pics in case anyone cares. Haven't done much yet, besides a tint and a sirius radio. Coming soon are Zaino bros, Hotchkis Sways/Spring, Dragger II and banging stereo system. However, the sirius satellite radio certainly keeps me jammin for now. No commericals is so delicious!

http://photos.yahoo.com/lyricsmaster

-Tom

·
Registered
565 Posts
hey man car looks good. A couple questions though...does have the radio right where it is not bother you? Seems like it may get in the way a little bit IMO, but maybe its just me. What system are you getting?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey IS300Sam. Actually I spent a while deciding where to stick it. It is not the smallest unit and is a temporary solution until I get a full system with Sirius integrated. I decided that putting it there would allow me to look at it often with a quick glance down and yet still have the road in my sights.

Because they scroll artist and song, you tend to look at the unit a lot more than FM or CD. It doesn't interfere with my line of vision. The only negative is a slight glare of the display in the windshield at night. Overall, I like the position.

As for a system, I am not really sure. Probably a 10" sub and that omnifi hard drive in the trunk unit. I am certainly open to suggestions! Gotta get the cash first ... my car budget is not unlimited like some on here :crazy:

Tom

·
Interior Handling Expert
1,752 Posts
Hey Tom,

First of all, the car looks great.

I'm just wondering why didn't you hide the sirius antenna inside the car like on the dash or between to 2 rear speakers? I know some people that have done that and the reception is still good.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
nice looking car with v1 ^_^

·
8,849 Posts
You got to do something with that antenna (hint: hide the install by placing it on the rear deck). It is out of place. The rest is OK. Not too happy about the location of the display either. But, I guess it will do for a temp solution.

At any rate, enjoy and don't listen to grumpy me. 8) :chill:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Car looks nice and clean. I seriously think that that the location of the antenna is so out of place.

I have XM and i have my antenna inside on the dashboard, looks clean and reception is fine. 8)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys. I tried putting the antenna inside and it just doesn't work with Sirius--too many dropouts, especially when the antenna is pointing AWAY from west.

The sirius satellite angle is more 90 degrees where XM is 45, so I found it really needs to be outside. I know the placement is not the best, but like I said, temp solution. Perhaps I will try the dash again...I know the signal sure didn't get through the tint when I had it on the rear deck.

Tom

·
Registered
815 Posts
fanaticaltom said:
Hey guys. I tried putting the antenna inside and it just doesn't work with Sirius--too many dropouts, especially when the antenna is pointing AWAY from west.

The sirius satellite angle is more 90 degrees where XM is 45, so I found it really needs to be outside. I know the placement is not the best, but like I said, temp solution. Perhaps I will try the dash again...I know the signal sure didn't get through the tint when I had it on the rear deck.

Tom
Get the older model antenna. I have Sirius and the antenna is mounted in the rear deck. So far no problems with reception. I also have tints.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Sirius is awesome!!!

I got the audiovox one since it is black and matches the interior orange lights... saweeeet!

Nice choice

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
sorry to say bro....but my opinion is that set-up looks cheap! :-?
I'd agree...but the sirius itself is nice.

I would have chose the smaller, black audiovox controller :) easily hidden/blended in w/ dash.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheap? Well, duh. It is a way to get sirius without paying $2,000+ for a new system...just yet. Don't worry, I will make you happy in 2004. As for now, that hardware was completely free, so I can stomach the green lights and bulky unit for now. Life is about compromises. I made a few to get better music. The end game is a new stereo system with in-dash sirius. But first, I need to buy a slightly more expensive item...a house. You and I both hope that 2004 will bring less cheapness. :crazy:

Tom

·
Registered
831 Posts
um ... no commericial

that sounds sweet

do they have any korean stations?

:lol: 8) :chill:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would have chose the smaller, black audiovox controller :) easily hidden/blended in w/ dash.
Do you have some pics of your install?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Sonic Boom said:
Do you have some pics of your install?
No, sorry. I'd take some now, but we are redoing the stereo...

1 seat in and thats it. trunk's taped too!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts