Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
8,827 Posts
I would invest in a nice afermarket security system with remote start.

·
8,827 Posts
Aja1 said:
remote start, no way, those things are trouble.

But you say no to LoJack?
Trouble? No
Convenience? YES!!!

Me, as well as many otheres, have been using it for years. My new IS is yet to get it (module sitting in the box), but it's all in the works.

Our area is not very prone to theft, so LoJack is not needed. An aftermarket security system is more than enough for me. A 2-way system sounds really nice since it can alert the owner if the alarm is trigered.

·
8,827 Posts
goldark said:
Be sure to have some kind of a (ignition/engine cut out) that's security.
Our vehicle already has Engine Immobilizer in it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got lo-jack when I lived in Mass. for the simple reason that my insurance discount over a couple years basically paid for the system ($595 installed at the dealership). Call your agent and ask if you get a discount on your comrehensive for a 2nd system.....
It's basically piece of mind that you could get your car back in a matter of hours if someone was able to beat the factory (or factory + aftermarket) system.

·
11,054 Posts
They just started marketing LoJack here in Washington...but not many police departments have the tracking devices yet. They'd better get with it. We're the fourth highest state in number of car thefts each year...50,000 last year. Wow....

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
SeattleSheila said:
They just started marketing LoJack here in Washington...but not many police departments have the tracking devices yet. They'd better get with it. We're the fourth highest state in number of car thefts each year...50,000 last year. Wow....
Yeah but I bet they are stealing mostly Nissans, Hondas, Toyotas - not nice cars.

·
11,054 Posts
goldark said:
SeattleSheila said:
Yeah but I bet they are stealing mostly Nissans, Hondas, Toyotas - not nice cars.
Yeah, some poor guy was up at the hospital in Seattle visiting a sick friend and his 1987 Subaru was stolen...I mean...1987? :eek:

·
8,827 Posts
auburnIS said:
just curious, how much is everything and what all is needed for a remote start system vlad?
What you need is a remote-start capable security system.
Compustar is most recommended in Mobiltronics forum.

Immobilizer by-pass module is also needed. It only sends code to the immobilizer during remote-start. It may be based on valet key, or have circuitry already built in (available from Lisnup65).

Reputable shop to do the install. There are a few things to figure out to make everything work.

IS300 wiring diagrams. Available from Go-Fast forum via search (if it works).
FOUND IT!!! CLICK HERE!

Check out Mobiltronics forum. There is a sticky related to RS (Remote Start).

There is also an option of buying a system from Luxury Motorworks that utilizes the factory key. Personally I would not use it due to many constraints, range mostly.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
McNasty said:
I got lo-jack when I lived in Mass. for the simple reason that my insurance discount over a couple years basically paid for the system ($595 installed at the dealership). Call your agent and ask if you get a discount on your comrehensive for a 2nd system.....
It's basically piece of mind that you could get your car back in a matter of hours if someone was able to beat the factory (or factory + aftermarket) system.
This is good to know. I wanted to get a cut out switch and/or LoJack, but was re-assured by many that our car was already very hard to steal. If the insurance pays for it over time, thats great free piece of mind.
Thanks goldark, that link was tight. Now I'm going to stress while in class and while I'm alseep :pissed: :lol: If any one has more detailed instructions on installing a cut out switch and/or which fuses to pull etc. please pipe in.

·
8,827 Posts
BlackSportD said:
...If any one has more detailed instructions on installing a cut out switch and/or which fuses to pull etc. please pipe in.
The immobilizer built in into your car is far more advanced than cut-out switch.
The weak point of the car is the OEM alarm, which is separate from immobilizer unit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.