Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father recently purchased a new car and the Business Manager of the dealership urged him to install Lojack $595 accessory. Apparently if your car gets stolen and it's not recovered within a 24hour period you get your $595 back. Also with Lojack there's a very high success rate in theft recovery. I know that the GS and LS Lexus models are high on the most stolen vehicles list. My dad went ahead and had Lojack installed in his new car. Did any of you guys install that system in your IS300's? I'd imagine that car will definitely be a high priority for car thieves.
Eric....

Have any of you had your cars stolen in the past?

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited August 31, 2000).]

·
Registered
978 Posts
Regard theft of Lexus vehicles, is it safe to assume that there is no way of starting them if you do not have the computer-chip encoded keys? I read somewhere the ECU will not allow the car to start without the proper key inserted into the ignition key hole. So the only way to steal a Lexus is to tow or flatbed it, right?

·
Registered
626 Posts
You are exactly correct. The car will not start without a transponder key, coded to send a signal to the engine to start.

I am in the insurance industry and I will tell you when we have a theft of the a vehicle that has a transponder key, the first thing you do is get your SIU (special Investigation Unit, Fraud) on the case.

I would not have spent the 600.00 for lojack.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, but there are A LOT of thefts accomplished with tow trucks. When you see a tow truck towing a car, it doesn't look out of the ordinary. How is it that the GS and LS400 as well as the current Mercedes Benz Sclass have such high incidences of theft?
Eric...

·
Registered
626 Posts
I can tell you in all my years of experience, I have never seen a claim where a car was towed and it was a theft!

I seriously doubt that the IS300 or GS for that matter is being stolen for parts and break up.

You very rarely ever see a luxery vehicle stolen. That is just my opinion. I would not have spent the 600.00.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you look at the "most stolen cars" lists you'll see a lot of fancy luxury cars that were stolen. Also there are a lot of Lexus cars that are stripped. I've seen a lot at this site in the past [email protected] ... I personally think it's worth the money. Especially for my father who bought an Mercedes S500 (with sports package).
Eric....

·
Registered
626 Posts
Bottom line, let them steal the car. I have a $100 comp ded. I will shoot myself if my car is stolen, but I seriously do not think that this will happen! If so, I am out 100.00 bucks and will get another one.

That is if it is not recovered.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well yeah if the car is not recovered your insurence will take care of it... But the car is still stolen and nothing is accomplished. However, with Lojack it's possible to catch the thieves and arrest them...
Eric...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the Lojack System installed on my IS. When I bought it, the finance manager at Lexus was showing us all these facts and figures about stolen cars.

It's not really the car theft that's a big deal, it's the car jackings in so kali that I bought the LoJack for. I consider it to be a safety feature on my car. If I get car jacked one day, I'm just going to let him have it, and then when I got out. I jus call the police dept where they can track him, and then have my car back within 48 hours.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Eric, now that you got me on this subject, watch my car will get stolen. Thanks! Just kidding, I hope not.

Also, I really do not think that Lo Jack will catch the theives. First, a lot of it depends on how fast you notify the police and they activate the lo jack. If your dad parks his car at the mall and shops for 3 hours and then notices his car stolen, calls the police and it takes them an hour to get out there, the theives have already either gotten the car dismantled or dumped it by then.

In either case, it is a nice product to have, I just can not justify the cost. Also, my lexus dealer did not even ask if I wanted it. Funny huh?

I sure hope that all this talk about theft does not leave bad karma on my Silver IS300! If so, I blame Eric for starting this.

Well back to work I go. Have a great theft free day!

·
Registered
626 Posts
That would work only if your lucky to survive the car jack. That is a good point, man you guys are starting to get me paranoid.

You know, a feature that would be nice on the IS300 would be the automatic locks. I noticed that the doors stay unlocked. I believe the BMW locks at 2 mph.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think it's funny that whatever type of dealer you go into, (Honda, Lexus, Toyota, etc.) they always have a list that shows their cars are the most stolen. Everybody quotes these lists, but has anybody determined if they are from reputable sources? Or, if the dealer "modifies" the list and leaves off some other cars to make sure their models are close to the top of the list? I know that dealers don't like to brag about their car being the most stolen. It is used as a marketing tool to sell a theft deterrent device at a very high profit margin, just like all the other accessories that are sold in the finance office. Always remember that statistics don't lie, but liars use statistics.

[This message has been edited by JakeB (edited August 31, 2000).]

·
Registered
626 Posts
Jake,

When I get back to my office, I will look at my sources. I am a Claims Manager for the worlds largest Insurance Company.

I will post later.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
All this talk about lowjack...
brings up some good questions.

1) is it easy to break into the car?

2) i know the factory alarm is loud,
having accidentally set it off, ...
is there a way to quickly disable the
alarm... as a thief? (maybe no one should
answer this.)

3) is there any way around the starter
kill w/o the key/transmitter?

any lexus rep's wanna answer these.

marlon

------------------
IS300 (white)
loaded w/o LSD

·
Registered
67 Posts
LOL! Yeah Marlon I have some questions too...about how hard is it to chop this car up and sell the parts? Do you think it would be hard for me (I mean someone who stole the car) to get across the border with it? Will this car out accellerate a police cruiser?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well from what I know. I think LoJack is rather sensible. Most thieves know about LoJack so..after they steal the car, they tend to leave the car in an empty parking lot, or deserted area or what not, and wait to see if they were being tracked by police.

·
Registered
571 Posts
as a big supporter of capital punishment for vandals, my ideas have always been put down..but I always thought keeping

a real live cobra in the car, and alarm-triggered poison gas should do a good job of killing the thieves.

I wonder why people would object to this sort of punishemt

·
Registered
55 Posts
i think LoJack is a waste of money. the most important thing to protect your car from getting stolen is PREVENTION. i would rather spend 2-3 hundred on a good alarm system to prevent the car from getting stolen then spending 6 hundred on a system to recover the car. Most thieves don’t like the idea of having to deal with alarms and having to bypass it. It will take him/her longer to steal the car and his chances of being caught a little higher.

if a thief can bypass an alarm system than more power to him..let him have the car and let him do whatever he wants to it I honestly don’t care if the police/insurance company recovers the car or not just as long as the insurance company pays for the car.

If my car was stolen on a flatbed than I hope that person likes listening to the sound of a screeching siren.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My father opted for the Lojack. I just use the plain old CLUB for my GS400. I don't see anything wrong with Lojack and think it's worthwhile. You guys will do anything to get your babies back right?
Eric...

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have to agree with Eric. If you pay $35k for a nice car, that thieves would drool to get their hands on, why not spend a measly (relatively) $600 for LoJack which gives you an edge. Alarm systems can be bypassed and when's the last time you saw someone even bat an eye at a triggered "screeching" alarm? And how is an alarm preventing theft? A tow or flatbed truck doesn't care what alarm system you have from a cheesy $100 to the top of the line $1000 one. All an alarm does is deter thieves, not prevent them. If professional thieves (or carjackers) want your car, they'll take it. LoJack, on the other hand, gives the police a fighting chance of getting your car back.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
12 Participants
tony
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing