Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang. I'm here because Steve inquired about whether or not LLS would be doing the IS units or not. The answer is yes, by special request, but what we'd really like to do is teach you how to do it on your own.

LLS was born on CL and I have always tried to help people as best i can. That's why i became a supermoderator. LLS traditionally focus's on Led needles, therfore the backlight is just becoming an LLS specialty as of recently (within 6 months ago). Though we like to roll with the punches and stay current, since the IS doesn't have led needle like all other model Lexus do, we really do not have a lot of interests in the IS models. About the only thing i can do for you is get you on the right track with the worlds best German led's ever made. Otherwise anything i do by way of the IS will be by special request.

Therfore LLS will not be openly advertising any product for the IS models. No vendor activity. Only by special request.

Let's get started on our backlight conversion so you can get your ride hooked up.

Reviewing the following pictures, you can see that the IS cluster is vastly different from any other Lexus model cluster. For one, there are no led lit needles. For two, rather than a strait backlight setup, it is fired with EL Glow* technology. where the cluster is made of a specially molded plexiglass that is designed to carry the light from a single source and spread it evenly over a large area. No other Lexus uses this technology.

Follow the yellow arrows to see that they point to the entrapment spot where light will be fed into the EL molded plastic. This entry point is where it will absorb the light like a sponge and transferr it to another point in the cluster.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now in this next pic you can see how the led's must be angled to accept the El molding input so that the light will shine directly into the El opening. Why would you do this? Remember the spotting you have heard so much about? If you don't hit that spot where the El mouth opens up, you won't be spreading light properly. Therefore it will spot. All you have to do is simply angle the led's properly and WOOT, the spotting is gone :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another cool trick with the LED's is what we call "Shadow Lighting". I have found it to be very useful in the center gauges where it is harder to transfer light. By using shadowing techniques, not only do you get better lighting in your center gauges, but the effect is very cool at night. Here is an example of Shadowing.....

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lastly, here are some more examples of "getting it right" when aiming the led's. In this first pic you can see where the mouth of the opening is for the El lighting in this pic of the tach. Look on the right side, see that piece angled down? It is right above the input where the bulb used to be.

Now, if you angle the led properly when hitting the mouth of the opening, you can go from just a dull blue glow like i have seen people create, to a brilliant blue that can even be seen during the daytime at high noon!
Look at that!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm enabling hot link for the pics over here to IS300.net, viewing won't be a problem.

When you get a few led's lined up in the hole, you can angle them at different angles to hit each mouth of each are. There are several El mouths in each hole, so multiple led's are nessesary. I prefer to use 25, simply because i want it to be as bright and even as possible.

Here is the first hole. This is in the top area of the cluster on the left side. After you are done, you should have this part of your cluster lit. I am doing this as a quickie as i am typing this to you, so i may not have everything perfect...lol.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Patience grasshopper :) I am changing the hotlinking admissions from my website.

Here are the board components and locations where you will be adding the LED's.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, there are definately lot's of people making kit's these days. Infact i know of at least 3. Just wanted to present a DIY for you. I have done this for every cluster model i have ever built. We don't have a lot of IS guy's on Cl so i figured i'd travel over here for the DIY since Steve had asked me about it.

Hope it helps.

PS- i like the red , but i keep getting flashbacks to a pontiac sunfire.....

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actually looking at it more, look at the white cluster, white is the hardest to spread light with. We perfected it long ago. Using this DIY you can make it look like it is supposed to look, without the dimness and spots.. like this:

You can get away with the colored caps for blue and red, and even green.
You will like it in the other area's of the car, but not in the cluster. Well, red may work, no problem. the others will not. Noone has perfected the white aside of us. I mean, damn look at the dim spots on that 3rd pic then look at mine.

Use this DIY to get it right and have a clean white cluster with no spots. Good luck!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LLS's "Shadowboxer" IS cluster using 20,000 mcd blue LED's.

The timepiece (as it is called, if you will) in the center is displayed in 20k MCD led's. Brighter than anything else ever made by any measureable amount the LLS Shadowboxer was named because it shadows the two gauges to the left or right of the cluster in a lower light for custom lighting style and uses the center to display a brilliant glow totalling 200,000 mcd worth of 20k high output German LED's.

The light emitted by just the center piece of the cluster is bright enough to read a newspaper in the car at midnight...... in the back seat. Challenges are welcomed.

Engineer's producing engineering feats. Lextech still does not currently build units for the IS aside of special request only, but rest assured, when we liek it, you will too. Until then, unlike everyone else, we are not producing a dim, half thrown together kit.

LLS engineers their clusters from the ground up and goes through months of R&D before release. This is currently the brightest IS cluster on the planet. there is only one of them, custom built with a total of 320,000 mcd worth of led's.

LLS is the only Lexus Specialty store in the world. Ran by engineers, for people who demand better. Soon we hope to be able to do IS unit's, but still currently DO NOT. We refuse to release anything that isn't perfect. and this.......... is very close. Enjoy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.