Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a senior i high school rite now. My parents say they will buy me a car in college..(probably sophmore or junior year) I like the IS300. My dad went specially to the dealer to look at it,and get the info packet. He says its too small..blah blah..hes more conscerned with the size..luxury..while I, of course, look at the IS bc of its sportiness..speed. They said theyre willing to help pay alot too for my new car,and dad said hed rather pay the xtra money for a gs300(cause bigger? is it really taht much bigger?)..so..wat do i do? wat should i request for a car? thanks..

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
GS is alot bigger, and I mean alot. Just sit in the back of the GS and then the IS, you will feel the difference.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about driving differences? Yes, i know about similar engines..and IS more towards sport style. But actual driving. And is GS300 'fun' to drive like the IS? as in acceleration? i know the gs4 is, but how botu the gs3?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
IS is a much smaller car than the GS300 and has the same engine.... so the IS will definitely be more fun to drive than a GS300 (more tossable/agile, and stiffer suspension).
Eric...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the acceleration to the IS is wat alot of people here are callign it "more fun?" so it feels faster than a GS?

·
Registered
130 Posts
...I can relate, really. I'm a new college grad and my dad talked me out of an Impreza RS and into getting an IS3...I feel that I made the right choice

Anyways, the GS3 is much larger than the IS3, my dad's GS3 is right in front of me as I type this (I'm only a door away), they're both sporty handlers but since the IS3 is much smaller inside and out it's more nimble than the GS3, it's also a little quicker (the GS3 is still pretty quick). Until I get my IS3 I try to drive the GS3 every chance I get, the first thing I do when I get in is put in power mode and switch of TRAC, it's mad fun (on long trips I cruise at about 115mph). The GS3 sounds great under full throttle and in power mode it runs every gear to red line, once again it's very fun. Both the GS3 and IS3 are great sports sedans, but I prefer the IS3 b/c of its smaller size, quicker handling, and head snapping looks. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Syndicate (edited September 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow,thanks for the help syndicate. The problem is, i liek the IS, dad doesnt."too small..cramped.." HEd rather get teh GS3,which i DEFINITLY wouldnt complain to own =). So eventhough like the IS,i would "settle" with the GS3 =) hehe..i guess i mite like the GS3..bc i like the size of my diamante.I think its considered big..anyone know? compared to IS or GS? so i like my size rite now. thanks for the help

·
Registered
130 Posts
...if memory serves me correctly I think I saw a sports sedan comparo that the GS3 and Diamante (amoung others) in Motor Trend an a while ago. So they're in the same class but the GS3 is a better car. My dad isn't too big on the IS3 either, not enough luxury for him. I don't plan on buying any car larger than a GS in my lifetime, it's the "just right" size, however right now it's too large for me, you may like though (my mom is a small woman and she likes the IS3 more than the GS3, the GS3 feels large). The only advantage to getting a GS3 right now is that is you want to mod your car the parts are already available, unlike us IS3 owners and owners to be like me are going to have to wait a little bit longer. On a side note, since you're going to college you may want to get the car that will be more popular with the ladies

Check out these links for info on the GS3 aftermarket.

L-Tuned (this stuff is covered by warranty, as it's from TRD)
http://www.ltuned.com

Rod Millen Motorsport (the definative aftermarket Toyota tuning firm)
http://www.rodmillen.com

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IM going to attend Univ. of Tex.. Friends warn me of having new car..theft and vandalizm..say better to drive my diam. rite now to college..buy car later afterwads...but i cant wait! wat do i do?

·
Registered
130 Posts
...you got me, I live on the east coast. Ask some of the Dallas guys there're plenty here. I guess that's another reason to get an IS3, you could hang out with the Dallas guys.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Make a deal with your dad - if he won't get you the IS300, then have him get you a GS430 (GS430 not GS300!) or a BMW 540i manual. They will be big like your dad wants, but with plenty more sportiness than a GS300.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
teh gs430 will be almost same as gs400 rite? except for engine..and how its more gas conserving..and how its .1 sec. slower than 400? any more differences? itd be better if the gs430 was FASTER than original

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
That 5.7 sec figure was done by Motor Trend, and the 5.8 sec figure was done by Toyota/Lexus in-house drivers...so hopefully that 5.8 sec is a conservative number...unlike, well, you know...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by 92diamante:
IM going to attend Univ. of Tex.. Friends warn me of having new car..theft and vandalizm..say better to drive my diam. rite now to college..buy car later afterwads...but i cant wait! wat do i do?
Just depends on where you live when you go to school here. Closer you live to campus the more worried you should be. I live about 7-9 miles from UT/Downtown and feel comfortable about buying a new car... I'm not any more worried about theft/vadelism than if I live anywhere else.

------------------
Mark Jones
www.MarkLeeJones.com

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IM not positive where im going to live yet..But i will be entering freshmen next year, so if in dorm(san jacinto?), i know i should be worried. Even if i live in apartments(off campus) im told its still close to campus..like 20 minutes walk? So im still worried...guess ill buy car later in college. I dont know. Other than oncampus, austin isnt bad on theft and vandalism right? stupid college kids...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts