Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals,

I'm new to the IS300 but I've spent a lot of my time narrowing down between the purchase of a BMW 325i and the IS300. I've chosen to go with the IS300.

My dilemma is this. My the person in sales has indicated that I cannot get BOTH the LSD and Graphite Wheels in the same package.

#1 Is this true?
#2 If so, what would you pick? LSD or Graphite?

Speaking of which my current price quotes are:

LSD: 33,235
Alloy: 32,800

These are without haggling as I'm checking on prices through my credit union before starting down the dreaded salesman path.

Thanks for your advice and comments,

-Stu

·
Registered
814 Posts
Stu, if you don't mind me asking; what part of the country are you from. Those prices given to you are not bad..especially without haggling

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I got LSD and Graphite wheels on mine so it is possible.

It may be that your dealer is not expecting any shipments with both, but given time (perhaps alot of time) they should be able to get both on the same car.

It is a tough call - I think I would go for the LSD, and then you could pay someone to polish your stock wheels at a later time. You might even be able to get a custom finish that is more unique to your car...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ISisBEST: I'm in Atlanta,GA however the price quotes are from my Credit Union I used to do business with in Charlotte, NC.

TEG: Thanks for the info. I'm imagining their source is just wanting to get what he has off the lot or as you indicated doesn't expect any in a while.

If I don't get a choice through them, because I can't get a better deal through dealer, then I may just go with the LSD. I haven't seen the graphite wheels up close yet but I have seen pictures.

Thanks,

-V

·
Registered
141 Posts
The graphite wheels are nice. I have them on my black IS with LSD. They are more of a gray polished color. Much nicer and smoother than the stock silver. (my opinion anyway)

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
I got the LSD via the Luxury Package...so it came w/ heated seats, LSD, leather piping and wood switch plates.

I've yet to feel any effect of the LSD but I'll tell you this...I really like the trim effects of the Luxury package.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i'd go with the LSD and them get tose rims chromed!

i've been toying with the idea of an LSD in my contour, but for $1500 total cost, the car really ain't worth it.

------------------
IS 300 ???
Not yet, but maybe soon....

1995 Ford Contour Zetec GL -- Modded

http://www.contour.org

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys,

Another question. I've seen many pictures of the two 17' wheels you can get (graphite or not) and am confused.

Are the graphite wheels darker or lighter than the standard 17' wheels you can get?

Well, just got pre-approved for my loan and got my trade-in value from the credit union so I'm off to the Lexus Dealership to do my haggling tonight to see if I can get a better deal.

Wish me luck. I'm going for the
Black/Black Leater/LSD, AL (if it's darker wheel).

-Stu

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
They are _slightly_ darker.

Lexus was passing out copies of an Autoweek article at the IS Tour showing a Yellow IS300 prototype with graphite wheels (prototypes I guess) that looked much darker than the ones I ended up with on my production IS300...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I Got The Solar Yellow With LSD (They Threw in some shrooms too... Hee Hee) and I had them keep the Polished Rims. I didn't like them. Then again I hate Chrome Rims too.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I purchased an IS in silver and opted for the graphite wheels. They are darker but most importantly they are much easier to clean - they do not have the course texture like on standard alloy.

Just FYI the graphite wheels were 1/2 lb. heavier than stock. 21 lbs. vs. 21.5 lbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Guys,

Well I've gotten a sweet deal on the Black/Black LD/LS/SR/HH/AL. After seeing Teg's pictures comparing the two I've definately decided on the Graphite Alloy wheels.

The only concern left is I don't want to get stuck with a car that has 13 paint chips on the hood within 2 months. That really really has me concerned.

I dealt with that issue with Chevrolet and a bad silver paint they used on their Beretta's. Even after an acknowledgement that the problem existed the Dealer wouldn't give in because they never recalled the paint job. Six months after I sold the car the Cheverolet finally recalled it..... took 3 years.

-V

·
Registered
62 Posts
as far as paint chips are concerned...i think bra's are ugly, but i have seen some new cars with a clear vinyl covering along the front fascia which might be what you're looking for.

does anyone on this board have the clear stuff installed?

------------------
IS 300 ???
Not yet, but maybe soon....

1995 Ford Contour Zetec GL -- Modded

http://www.contour.org

[This message has been edited by baco99 (edited October 04, 2000).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back again....

Just got through with one last test drive of both the IS300 and the TL. I think all in all I've come down to the decision of getting the TL.

But I sure do love that IS300.

Primary Reasons:

1) Paint Chipping on IS300
2) More bang for your buck on the TL
4) TL is more luxury sedan with sportlike qualities VS. IS300 is more sport sedan with a quality name behind it and limited luxury. (just personal taste)
5) I just do not like the hard plastic dash of the IS300. The interior doesn't remind me that I just spent 33,000$
6) Hit about a 1-2 inch pot hole during test drive and the wheel hit the top of the car.
7) Hit the apex of a good hill doing abot 80 and scraped the bottom.

After today and the concerns I've seen posted I've merely thought I should wait before getting that beautiful car.

I'll let you guys know one thing for sure though. JM Lexus is THE best lexus dealership around when it comes to price. Laurel Jacobs got me the best deal I've EVER seen on a fully loaded IS300.

Taunt me if you want, but if you plan on buying a lexus in the future you can't beat JM Lexus' E-Commerce sells. Let me put it straight what I got for the offer...Lexus IS300 Black/Black LS/LD/SR/HH/AL....32,200 + 400 delivery (they are in Florida...I live in Atlanta) + 4% Sales Tax. I know I'm crazy for skipping out on a deal like that but my primary concerns above are what kept me from the purchase

Thank you everyone for your time and answers to the quesitons I've asked up here. I'll probably be back in a year when hopefully my concerns above are answered.

-Vovin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Vovin, I will concur with your experience
at JM Lexus with Laurel Jacobs. She will
indeed give you a price on an IS300, or
any Lexus, that is going to be thousands
less than quotes you receive from local
dealers.

I'm a little biased, as she is my mother-
in-law.

I just purchased my black/black LS/LD/HH/SR
and it will arrive by the end of the week.
I was in the exact same position as you,
between the TL and IS300. I had a near
religious experience the first time I sat
in the IS300. I bought without a test
drive, and without knowledge of the
aforementioned paint chip issue.

Still, I believe Lexus will come through
in the end. Not once have I heard of
customer service issues with Lexus --
a huge reason I bought the IS300 over the
Acura TL... along with the best price
around. JM was by far head and shoulders
above the three local Lexus dealers I
approached about purchasing the IS300. And
the Acura dealers never gave me a competitive
price on the TL.

If anyone is interested in contacting
JM Lexus to see how easy they will make it
for you to buy a new Lexus, you can contact
Laurel Jacobs at:

[email protected]
(954)977-6259
1-800-298-8012

Tell her Don(nie) sent you.

BTW, Vovin, if you want to hook up some
time, I'm also here in Atlanta, the
Brookhaven area off of Peachtree and
North Druid Hills.

Originally posted by Vovin:
Back again....

I'll let you guys know one thing for sure though. JM Lexus is THE best lexus dealership around when it comes to price. Laurel Jacobs got me the best deal I've EVER seen on a fully loaded IS300.

Taunt me if you want, but if you plan on buying a lexus in the future you can't beat JM Lexus' E-Commerce sells. Let me put it straight what I got for the offer...Lexus IS300 Black/Black LS/LD/SR/HH/AL....32,200 + 400 delivery (they are in Florida...I live in Atlanta) + 4% Sales Tax. I know I'm crazy for skipping out on a deal like that but my primary concerns above are what kept me from the purchase
-Vovin

[This message has been edited by donerb (edited October 05, 2000).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts