Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'd like to hear from people who have used lightweight pulleys on their IS300s (not other cars) and what their experiences have been.

I'm really not looking for people's opinions on the matter since it's already been beaten to death. I'm only looking to hear about people's experiences.

So if you have a lightweight pulley on your car, I'd love to hear the following.

-How long you've had it
-Which pulley you have
-Any issues you've had
-Overall experience

Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the crank, PS and alt light pulleys on mine (wp was wrong size so couldnt use). I have had no issues with them other than the damn belt squeaks all the time (tried everything but still does it). have about 6k miles on them and can honestly tell you I have not noticed any difference whatsoever over factory pulleys, good or bad.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have the light PHR pulleys and have ran them for about a year. No crank pulley though.(stay far from that shit) They are for sure lighter and more desirable looking, but with all bolt ons and cams on a N/A motor, I didn't feel a difference either. Maybe theres a gain but, more even through the power band, and not all at once. Im rebuilding with a turbo so I'm sure the pulleys will just compliment the rest of the build. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the crank, PS and alt light pulleys on mine (wp was wrong size so couldnt use). I have had no issues with them other than the damn belt squeaks all the time (tried everything but still does it). have about 6k miles on them and can honestly tell you I have not noticed any difference whatsoever over factory pulleys, good or bad.
Thanks for sharing. That's interesting. What brand did you buy? Do you DD your IS?

I have the light PHR pulleys and have ran them for about a year. No crank pulley though.(stay far from that shit) They are for sure lighter and more desirable looking, but with all bolt ons and cams on a N/A motor, I didn't feel a difference either. Maybe theres a gain but, more even through the power band, and not all at once. Im rebuilding with a turbo so I'm sure the pulleys will just compliment the rest of the build. Hope this helps.
I noticed PHR doesn't actually mention the weight (or difference vs stock) of their pulleys. Any idea what the weight difference is?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got the crank pulley off ebay, OBX was like 85. others were also on ebay as well, some no name brand. I daily drive my car to work and have never had an issue with them at all other than the damn squeaking.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very cool. Thanks for your responses guys. Hopefully we can get a few more.

I'm personally interested in at least the accessory pulleys and could maybe be swayed to get the crank if I hear (first hand) that people haven't had a problem with them.

·
Registered
754 Posts
as already stated, do not buy a 'lightweight' crank pulley.
there is a damper in there. if you take that off and buy one without the damper, your motor is a ticking time bomb. better ways to spend your money, unless you're simply doing it for the appearances.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Please don't pollute this thread with opinions about the pulleys. Testimonials only please.
not an opinion, this is common knowledge for street cars. I highly suggest you read up on the link below and you'll see what we are talking about. we are trying to save you from grenading your motor (you can thank us later).

ATI - The Dangers of Power Pulleys & Understanding the Harmonic Damper

with that said, there is no reason to get an ATI if you have a stock motor (other than if yours has gone bad and you want something nicer then stock). the ATIs are for built motors. VEHEMENCE has one because he is boosted.

edit: just for the sake of clarity. I am specifically talking about the crank pulley. that is the important one. all the others are free game.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am also interested in what everyone has to say about the pulleys. Subscribed.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I bought a used VQ35de a couple years ago that had a sheared off woodruff key because the PO had an aluminum crank pulley. You might be able to get away with installing one for a couple years but I doubt the bearings or woodruff key will last that long. Russian Roulette if you ask me.

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Do not use underdrive /lightweight crank pulley (not worth the risk) since not harmonic balanced .

·
Registered
163 Posts
6,000 miles on the Driftmotion lightweight crank pulley 2.0, zero problems as of today. Stock size, NOT under-driven

*Added remaining lightweight pulley set (PS, ALT, WP) at 224460 miles on engine. All lightweight pulleys are NOT under-driven, and are stock size replacements.
*Installed new transmission at 234,641 miles on engine.

Update: 5 months of ownership on Dec 12, 2017: 9,000 miles; 208,926 miles on engine, 0 problems
Update: 7 months of ownership on Feb 12, 2018: 13,500 miles; 213,415 miles on engine, 0 problems
Update: 9 months of ownership on Apr 18, 2018: 16,400 miles; 216,270 miles on engine, 0 problems
Update: 11 months of ownership on Jun 7, 2018: 19,500 miles; 219,380 miles on engine, 0 problems
Update: 13 months of ownership on Aug 1, 2018: 23,000 miles: 222,850 miles on engine, 0 problems
Update: 15 months of ownership on Oct 10, 2018: 25,600 miles: 225,200 miles on engine, 0 problems
Update: 17 months of ownership on Dec 18, 2018: 28,100 miles: 227,700 miles on engine, 0 problems
Update: 19 months of ownership on Feb 7, 2019: 29,900 miles: 229,500 miles on engine, 0 problems
Update: 21 months of ownership on May 1, 2019: 30,500 miles: 231,400 miles on engine, 0 problems
Update: 23 months of ownership on July 11, 2019: 32,300 miles: 233,200 miles on engine, 0 problems

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
6,000 miles on the Driftmotion lightweight crank pulley 2.0, zero problems as of today.

Update: 5 months of ownership on Dec 12, 2017: 9,000 miles, 0 problems
I too have the Driftmotion aluminum lightweight crank pulley. A lil over 1,000 miles and no issues. I'll chime in as more miles/time passes by.
Thanks for the update and input guys.

I may be pulling the trigger on the accessory pulleys soon.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts