Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my IS about a month ago and will running it for the first time in an event this Sunday. I purchased some pretty nice light wheels from Vick at Wheeloptions. I posted a few photos. Just check out the links below and let me know what you think. They are 1-piece forged wheels and are 15lbs per wheel. They are 17x7 with a 47 offset. I'll try to get some pictures of them on the car soon.

http://www.gahnman.com/images/WorkS2-5.jpg
http://www.gahnman.com/images/WorkS2-3.jpg
http://www.gahnman.com/images/WorkS2-1.jpg

My car is a 03 MSM IS300 5speed with lsd and I am looking forward to Sunday to see how it performs. I had an 02 RSX Type-S before and I competed regularly in STS. The RSX was nice but I think the IS is much better stock vs. stock. The balance is superb and you gotta love rwd.

I've been following this forum since before I got my car and there is alot of good information here. Thanks to all.
 

·
Mr. Negative
Joined
·
12,388 Posts
Very nice wheels man, very nice!

I'm sure you'll do well and when you get the hang of switching from fwd to rwd you'll do even better. It's a lot of fun. The RSX handles very good too, but you are right, RWD is so much fun. It just seems natural on the track for some reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Sweet wheels. What class are you running in?

If you are in stock, is that the best setup you could find? I just started racing and I'm hooked. I was wondering if 16" wheels would be better because they might be lighter. Any thoughts on this?

Good Luck 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IS_Dude said:
Very nice wheels man, very nice!

I'm sure you'll do well and when you get the hang of switching from fwd to rwd you'll do even better. It's a lot of fun. The RSX handles very good too, but you are right, RWD is so much fun. It just seems natural on the track for some reason.
Thanks. I think I read an old post where you talked about tire pressures for the Victoracers. I was thinking about going with 44F 40R to start. I will be running on asphalt. Does that sound like a pretty good place to start?
 

·
Mr. Negative
Joined
·
12,388 Posts
03is5sp said:
IS_Dude said:
Very nice wheels man, very nice!

I'm sure you'll do well and when you get the hang of switching from fwd to rwd you'll do even better. It's a lot of fun. The RSX handles very good too, but you are right, RWD is so much fun. It just seems natural on the track for some reason.
Thanks. I think I read an old post where you talked about tire pressures for the Victoracers. I was thinking about going with 44F 40R to start. I will be running on asphalt. Does that sound like a pretty good place to start?
That should be a good starting spot. I would recommend a little more, but that should be good to start. Try going up a couple pounds between runs(it should do that anyway after they heat up) and see what you think. I usually ended up in the 47/43 range f/r and sometimes more, but I like high pressures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
borg said:
Sweet wheels. What class are you running in?

If you are in stock, is that the best setup you could find? I just started racing and I'm hooked. I was wondering if 16" wheels would be better because they might be lighter. Any thoughts on this?

Good Luck 8)
I considered that very thing. I decided on the 17's because you get a little more width (I Think) and I wasn't sure what size the 16's are that come with the IS. If they are 16x6.5 then there are many choices of lightweight wheels in that size. I ran some 11lb Volk CE28N's in that size on my RSX and they were awesome. It really was a toss-up for me and I like the crispness of the steering with 17's.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top