Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new here! I am currently In search of a new diff because I just drained the metal sand out of mine it was pretty brutal. Anyways, I'm wondering what is a good "life support" oil that will get me by for now. I don't put to many miles on the car I just need to run it until I find a new diff thank you :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Just put any old 75-90 (ish) in there. Don't waste your money on snake oil or even synthetic. Heavier viscosity will prolly run slightly quieter but gears eating each other will always be noisy.

You'd be surprised how long it'll last despite fact its hurt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. I am wondering because I just recently changed my axle seals and put in 75w85 from Toyota themselves and it seemed thin and made it really noisy. I am wondering if Lucas or something thick would be good for it

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Agree^
Diffs are pretty cheap, and not fun to swap, but very do-able. So just replacing it is viable. The BRZ/FRS diff will fit the IS300 too. There may be other chassis that share the diff as well, so you’re not limited to hunting for IS’s.

·
Registered
2002 is300
399 Posts
Do you really need a new diff though? Every time I change diff fluid in any car lots metal comes out. Never had an issue with any of them either just thought it was a normal thing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts